PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 fire sights

homesteading1
12-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok, so I purchased some Williams Fire Sights for my Marlin 1894p today and installed them this evening in a snap. great addition,But to my dismay the red tube on the front sight just slips right out of the sight??, It looks like it is slightly melted on one end, should I just use a bit of epoxy on it or melt the end? Any help would be great.

Dave

koehlerrk
12-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Melting the end towards you could mess up the light-transmitting ability of the sight. I would super-glue or epoxy it in place.

1kshooter
12-23-2011, 07:42 AM
X2 super glue or epoxy it in place!

homesteading1
12-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I have some permatex 5 minute epoxy I will use.
Thanks
Dave

kelbro
12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I would epoxy it. Superglue has a tendency to crack. Then I would call them and ask them to send a replacement that works.

W.R.Buchanan
12-23-2011, 11:24 PM
All of the fireoptic sights I have came with red tubes, but I want green, so you cut the one in the sight and remove it from both ends.

Then you melt one end of your new tube with a bic lighter or better yet a small crack pipe torch. The you install it into the sight and cut it so there is about 1/16" sticking out.

Then you hit the end with the torch and it's in there.

Please note it only takes a second of flame to do this. But what you are looking for is an even round bead on the end of the fibreoptic tube.

Believe me this is not hard to do! You can handle it!

Also when you want to change it, you just cut it and thread in a new piece. Instead of trying to remove epoxy.

I got these instructions off my Dawson sights that I have on all my Glocks. I've done 5 of them as well as some for other people. Takes one minute to do.

Randy

homesteading1
12-24-2011, 12:46 PM
W.R.Buchanan--- If there is a melt ball on the tube facing me will it still be bright. the stick that is currently in there has a ball only on one end, I noticed that it does not seem as bright as the cut end. Where can I obtain the glow sticks to replace them in the future?

Thanks,
Dave

W.R.Buchanan
12-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Yes : it will be perfect, and bright, that's the whole idea.

You only hit the end for a second with the torch just enough to make the ball end form.

You can get the replacement material from Brownells and it is very inexpensive and comes in a variety of sizes which you would match to your application.

The "crack pipe torch" I talk about is one click above a Bic lighter, and some small torches actually use Bic lighters for the flame. Point is you don't need a big hot flame, but it does need to be a focused "Clean Flame". No wooden matches here please. You literally touch the end of the plastic for about 1 second at a time. It may take multiple passes to get the ball formed but it won't take much.

Here's a pic of the one on my G21 It is very prominent in the direct sunlight, and just very bright in normal ambient light. Still very bright on even a foggy day!

believe me you can't go wrong here.

Randy

homesteading1
12-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks Randy, worked like a charm. I also checked out Brownells and I am going to order some replacements to keep on hand. I also like the green on that Glock, nice.

Dave

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Good to hear my instructions actually work! Sometimes,,,

Glad it worked out for you.

Randy