PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on the best priming tools...

Marlin Junky
12-22-2011, 05:35 PM
...for priming small primer pockets in tiny rimless cases (e.g., the .223). I want to continue priming LR pockets on my lone 00-7 loading press and don't want to take the time to switch priming punches. However, if I could locate another priming arm for my 30-40 year old 00-7, changing back and forth from SR to LR would be a snap. Does the Lee hand held priming device come with a shell holder that fits .223 brass well or should I be looking for something better, or would I be better off just trying to locate another priming arm for my 30-40 year old 00-7?... which is starting to show its age in the looseness of its ram.

Thanks,
MJ

MtGun44
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I have both the old style Lee Autoprime hand tool and one of the new ones. The new
ones are safer, have a much better flipper pattern and work just fine for me. Some old
timers (I suppose I qualify, 45 yrs of reloading) that have used the old Autoprime were
very upset at the new one, but I can't see any problem, not that I really thought that the
old one wasn't safe enough, and the pattern in the tray flips the primers a whole lot
easier, which for me is the big benefit.

Good tools, easy to use, super easy to change the shell holders and a set of all the ones
you are likely to ever need are about $20 or so, I forget. Easy to change diameter, but so
cheap that I keep one of each size on the bench. Pretty much all I use except for the
Dillon 550s.

Bill

williamwaco
12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
I really like the Forster priming tool with its universal shell holder. But pricy.

I bet somebody on here could modify a similar priming arm to make it fit your press.

Take a look at this drawing.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-discontinued/metalic-reloading/presses/metallic_reloading_007_press.pdf

That primer arm looks exactly like my new one. ( no you can't have it )

Are you sure you can't just call up Hornady and ask for another one?

DLCTEX
12-22-2011, 08:35 PM
I have and use the Lee hand held priming tools (4). I also have the Lee safety prime on my Classic Cast Turret press and do a lot of case priming on it. Both are great IMHO.

canyon-ghost
12-22-2011, 08:47 PM
For the money, the RCBS Ram prime is great. You only set the depth once, and it comes with small and large primer cups. No high primers, no problems. It's probably the safest way to prime cases that you can use! http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/RCBSRamPrime.jpg

nicholst55
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
The BEST priming tool is arguably the one Sinclair sells. It only does one at a time, and it's expensive - over $100, but it is sweet.

1Shirt
12-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I have been using the Lee now for a number of years. Like to prime a number of cases while watching T.V. Priming is mindless work unless you get one in backwards which riminds you that you have pulled a dumb A$$ trick. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it sort of cranks in the need to be humble again factor!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Cadillo
12-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I retired my Sinclair tool after I bought my RCBS ram unit, then I got a Bonanza Co-Ax press, and then set the RCBS ram unit aside.

Co-Ax has the best priming system of them all, bar none!

But if you don't have a Co-Ax, the RCBS ram unit is second best

Old Coot
12-22-2011, 11:05 PM
My ancient (1966) RCBS Jr. Press primes beautifully, changing cups is no sweat and after forty some years I can feel when a primer is well set.

gefiltephish
12-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I have the RCBS universal that works pretty well. So far seems to be much stronger than the breako-matic levers of the Lee. I'm considering getting a second one so each can be dedicated to large/small.

My favorite on-the-press system so far is the Lee Classic Turret.

Green Frog
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
The old Harry Pope design, adapted from an earlier one by Chicks Martine (Spelling?) was resurrected by Jake Simmons years ago. Jake passed away, but a copy of it is still available from Pete Allen's foundry, and a version from Buffalo Arms, IIRC. There is also an adaptation of the Axel Peterson re- and decapper available from CPA Rifles, makers of the modern 44 1/2 Stevens single shot. Both of these designs decap the old primer, have provision to scrape fouling from the primer pocket, then seat the new primer. The Sinclair is classy and precise if you just want to seat primers. All of these give you a nice "feel" for seating the primers consistently as it is done by hand. I've been using a couple of Jake's and of course the old (original screw head) Lee tools for years and like them best, but once you get to this level, you pick the one that is available and has the features you like.

Froggie

zuke
12-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I've been using the same original LEE priming tool for at least 25 year's.
When I first got it I noticed where the friction(pivot) point's are and greased it.
I de-grease then re-grease it every 5 year's like clock work.
I still haven't broken or worn anything out.

scb
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
For my money hands down the best priming tool is: https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainServlet?storeId=webconnect&catalogId=webconnect&langId=en_US&action=ProductDisplay&screenlabel=index&productId=2886&route=C06J030
You can find them a lot cheaper than this on that eeeevil auction web site.

bbs70
12-23-2011, 12:08 PM
I really like the new Lee priming tool.
To me it works better than the old style.
I've broken several levers on the old style.
I've primed about 5k 45 & 40s&w on the new tool and haven't had any trouble yet.

I like the Lee priming tools because I can sit outside on a nice day and prime all I want.

cbrick
12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm with scb, the RCBS unit is fast and gives exceptional "feel" of the seated primer.

Rick

Echo
12-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I have been using the Lee now for a number of years. Like to prime a number of cases while watching T.V. Priming is mindless work unless you get one in backwards which riminds you that you have pulled a dumb A$$ trick. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it sort of cranks in the need to be humble again factor!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Top, I do the same. I have 3 old model Lee's, one for 38/357, one for 45/06, and the third for any other. Can't be beat for doing 50-100 primers. I've never broken a lever, although I have one I got on eBay that had the lever repaired.
If I'm doing more than that, I have an RCBS automatic tool that takes regular cartridge holders. Load the tubes, and Press On.

Cadillo
12-23-2011, 03:51 PM
I might add that there are two basic types of priming tools. All the many tools are variations of one or the other of the two. One type seats the primer by feel, and the other seats the primer to a predetermined depth based on a mechanical stop. Some tools are adjustable as far as the depth is concerned, and others are not.

I personally feel that a mechanical stop type tool is far more consistent provided the primer pockets have been cut to uniform depth, something which I do with all rifle cases and any pistol cases to be used where accuracy is a concern. Many will argue that seating by feel is a better method, and I know that nothing I can say or write will convince them otherwise.

Priming tools with a mechanical stop will always be slower than most if not all of the seat by feel tools, but for me consistentcy and accuracy are why I load.

The only primers that I seat by feel are for cases loaded on my Dillon progressive presses for use out to 25 yards.

mpmarty
12-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I much prefer the on press ram prime system from LEE. It uses the standard shell holders and the primer cup and shaft are quick and easy to change. Only downside is having to use my fingers to place primer on the cup.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-23-2011, 04:51 PM
The best priming tool I have used is the RCBS bench mount, I believe called auto prime. Not the one with the strips to hold primers, have not been there and done that.

While the hand priming tools are handy, the above is still the best.

I used the type of tool mounted in the RockChucker press, but again the one above wins hands down.

I tried the Forester, and it was packed up to return to sender ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I then spent the extra bucks for the RCBS tool and it was worth the extra dollars, without question.

If you go with the hand tool, buy RCBS for better and longer lasting quality. The thumb lever on the Lee tends to break, been there and done that, and recently read a thread about that brakage where a good number of people also had the same breakage.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot