PDA

View Full Version : Cold Barrel Flyer Fix

MtJerry
12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
A few weeks ago I was posting some results with my Marlin 1894c and My NEF .357 Mag and was having some difficulties with cold barrel flyers out of each rifle.

In both rifles the following shots were producing some very good groups, but the cold barrel flyers were in some cases up to 2" away from the group.

I was using Recluse's Lube (45/45/10 - LLA/JPW/MS) and really didn't want to go to all the trouble of creating something new from scratch, and my attempts to find products locally to make MML was a dismal failure.

So ... with that in mind I decided to try a simple solution ... add one product to the Recluse Lube to make it work.

I scored on the first try. 2 tablespoons of STP Oil Treatment to my large batch of 45/45/10 (I make mine in an old JPW can) solved the problem.

Went to the range today (current temp - below freezing!) and shot a 1inch 10 round group with no cold-barrel flyer.

Success is a warm fuzzy feeling [smilie=s:

geargnasher
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Bueno!

Gear

williamwaco
12-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Forgive my stupidity. Are you using that for a bullet lube or a bore cleaner?

I have always had considerable problem with the first one - sometimes two shots going wild. BUT It happens to me when I change from load "A" to load"B" and load "B" uses a different powder. not with a clean barrel.

MtJerry
12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Clean barrel ... dirty barrel ... same cold-barrel flyer.

I am using the STP as an additional ingredient to the Recluse Lube.

williamwaco
12-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I will definitely be caught trying that formula.

John Boy
12-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Viscosity at 40°C: 5200-6340 cSt
Viscosity at 100°C: 250 cSt
Zinc compounds: 10%
Petroleum distillates: 30%
Mineral Oil: 60%

kelbro
12-22-2011, 11:17 PM
On carbon steel barrels, a patch with a dose of LockEase ran through a barrel after cleaning eliminated first shot flyers for me with jacketed bullets. Not sure how that would work with my Pb 'seasoned' barrels.

jblee10
12-22-2011, 11:27 PM
I often wondered why shots in my string through a revolver showed decreasing velocity. I was thinking powder position. Your post made a light go on in my head. Lubricity! Thanks man!

nanuk
12-22-2011, 11:37 PM
How cold was the barrel with the flyer issue?

I'm wondering, as I like to hunt, and my barrel would pretty much ALWAYS be cold.

can anyone speculate as to why the addition of STP may work?

runfiverun
12-22-2011, 11:51 PM
it keeps the lube softer longer.
i use atf in my cold weather [below 20] lube..
and don't in my summer lube.

GabbyM
12-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Viscosity at 40°C: 5200-6340 cSt
Viscosity at 100°C: 250 cSt
Zinc compounds: 10%
Petroleum distillates: 30%
Mineral Oil: 60%

That's an impressive amount of zinc compounds in the STP.
I can see where that would help a bullet lube.

IIRC the zinc is why many new engine pollution control systems are harmed by STP. It may just be the new diesel engine after filters. But you all need to check before pouring any into your engine.

STP was good stuff back in the 60's and 70's. You could poor it into an engine with valve lifter clatter and presto, a quiet engine.

How much zinc does Head and Shoulders shampoo have in it?
I’ve used a machine shop tap lube that was a blue paste. Blue from the zinc. Used it on threading taps not in bullet lube. Not sure about the health risk of zinc vapor as it is a heavy metal. Zinc based tapping lubes, by the way, replaced white lead when the EPA banned the white lead.

hiram
12-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Does the Recluse lube still feel dry with the STP added?

MtJerry
12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
I really couldn't tell any difference in the texture or drying time of the lube after adding the STP.

Sonnypie
12-24-2011, 01:40 PM
What about when cleaning your bore later?
I got far away from STP the first time I did a valve adjustment on my engine with STP in it.
Back then (early 1970's) it was nei impossible to cut it to clean it out of an engine.
I was not that impressed with it.

YMMV (Obviously)

btroj
12-24-2011, 01:54 PM
I changed lube entirely to reduce the cold barrel flyer problem when the temps fall below 40. CR was bad about giving flyers until the barrel got good and warm. That takes a few rounds with a 32-20!

I think run has it right, use a thinner lube in winter. Leave it out in the summer. I prefer not having two different lubes but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Artful
12-24-2011, 02:12 PM
One of the problems with shooting subsonic suppressed is first shot cold bore drop in speed. You want about 1000 fps and first shot seems to loose about 200-300 fps with some loads. One way around that was to oil/lube the bore before shooting the first shot. (CLP on bore snake) - tried some other lubes and some even slowed the first shot more than dry bore (Hornady case lube).

MtJerry did you by chance chrono your loads?

madsenshooter
12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Using Marvel Mystery Oil to thin LLA (LLAMMO) has allowed me to get some high velocity with accuracy out of my 6x45. Relevant to this post, just as another option to the lubes you've all noted above.