PDA

View Full Version : Using the Mec 600 as a powder measure

oldfart1956
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Got to talking to the older brother (handloader for 40+ yrs.) and we got to talking about powder measures. I'm back to dipping loads with TrailBoss cause it doesn't work well in the Lee Perfect (?) Powder Measure. I did the mod of cutting off the lever-lock so the measure rotates further...didn't help. Bridges one time dumps an overload the next. Constantly tapping while loading gets annoying. And theres too little room to get more than 2 rows of the loading block (RCBS) under the drop tube. Anyways, about 10yrs. ago he switched to using an old Mec 600 to drop all his pistol charges. Once he figgers out which bushing to use it seems to work excellent. He also has scales/electronic measureing doohickies and such but vows this is faster and almost as accurate. Has anyone else actually tried it? The Mec goes used around here for a little bit of nothing. Cost of shot is so high it's hard to justify reloading shotshells I rekkin. Heading up to see him in 2 weeks and we're gonna set one up for me. Might even spring for the adjustable charge bar instead of using bushings. He's trying the TrailBoss thru it this week to see how it meters. Audie...the Oldfart..

Reload3006
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I have several mec 600 6 of them to be exact. I have found the bushings to be very accurate. I weigh a few drops with a new lot of powder to make sure and they work great. I have never used them for anything other than shotgun shells but they have been scary consistent for me in shotgun shell loading.

LUBEDUDE
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
That is an awesome idea!

jimkim
12-23-2011, 02:43 AM
I think this might just work. I have two MEC measures that have broken bottle holders (the part the bottles screw into) that might be perfect for this. I wonder how well the adjustable charge bar would work.

oldfart1956
12-23-2011, 08:27 PM
I think this might just work. I have two MEC measures that have broken bottle holders (the part the bottles crew into) that might be perfect for this. I wonder how well the adjustable charge bar would work.

Jim, we had the same problem with the attachment breaking off where the bottles screw on. Especially the shot bottle. If I recall correctly I soldered one back on but can't recall. I'll check with big brother an see what he's done. Now, I checked on the adjustable charge bars and the info said powder weight only goes down to 12 grains........hmmmmm. That'd never work. Mebbe someone that has one can chime in. I did see the bushings now come in plastic and a complete set was selling for $14.95 when I googled Lee charge bar bushings. I really, really need to find a set of them! Glad some of ya'll found this useful. Audie..the Oldfart.

jimkim
12-26-2011, 03:07 AM
Thanks. I actually have two broken measures. I dropped my press while moving it one day, and it tore the bottle cap thing off. I bought one on eBay to replace it. When I crewed the shot bottle down, it snapped off. It had been repaired with epoxy and they didn't do adequate surface prep. He sent me a replacement for free. I would like to have it fixed though the bloody thing looks brand new but for the missing bottle holder. I think I could take an abrasive to the nickel/chrome plating and have it silver soldered. I even thought about welding a powder baffle to it, if I could find one made of steel.

Just in case you wondered, I am indeed part Murphy.