PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag revisited

white eagle
12-22-2011, 10:56 AM
ya know I have been all over the place with guns.
my current is 480 Ruger a fine round indeed
had a 2 different 45 colt's and have always had a 44 mag.
it is truly one of the greats and probably always will be. :mrgreen:
shot mine the other day and absolutely fell for it again [smilie=w:
very accurate and solid hunting round

44man
12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
ya know I have been all over the place with guns.
my current is 480 Ruger a fine round indeed
had a 2 different 45 colt's and have always had a 44 mag.
it is truly one of the greats and probably always will be. :mrgreen:
shot mine the other day and absolutely fell for it again [smilie=w:
very accurate and solid hunting round
Quite true, I love the .44. Bigger is better but the kill time is measured in seconds less then the .44 does.
Then the .44 is so much easier to hit with compared to the large calibers because of recoil and any restriction to recoil or not enough restriction by a loose hold. There is no medium with the big kickers, not an ounce difference in hold allowed. But the .44 is so easy and kills animals so it is my go to caliber.
Even though I love the big stuff, I shoot more deer with the .44 than all the rest combined.

LAH
12-22-2011, 02:32 PM
The 44 has mostly ruled my life.

John Ross
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
The 44 has mostly ruled my life.

Mine, too, from June 17, 1971 to June 17, 2003...

375RUGER
12-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeh. My first big bore handgun was 44 mag and still my favorite cartridge.

blackpowder man
12-23-2011, 12:09 AM
The .44 mag is wonderful. I listen to people tell me it is only a 75 yard cartridge. I've read and heard the debates about one shot man stopper calibers. The other day someone told me the .41 mag shot flatter and did more tissue damage than the .44. I listen to such craziness without the need to argue because something has to be the standard basis for comparison. Every time I neglect my .44s and come back to them I have the same feeling White cloud.

saz
12-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Yep, if there is ONE pistol that will never leave my possesion it is my 44 mag SBH. It is my "do all" handgun. IMHO it is the most versitile pistol cartridge out there.

Whitworth
12-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Quite true, I love the .44. Bigger is better but the kill time is measured in seconds less then the .44 does.

I guess that would depend entirely on what it is that you are shooting. Deer aren't that hard to kill IMO.

LAH
12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
For 8 years I hardly shot anything but a 4" M-29 Smith. The load, 250 Keith & 20 grs. 2400. It did 1201 FPS & worked.

44man
12-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess that would depend entirely on what it is that you are shooting. Deer aren't that hard to kill IMO.
Now you don't really believe that, do you?
All the dead ones I find, far from where they were shot has only showed me that they do die, but are tough enough to get away.
I have not been up at the place this year but last season I found 12 deer there---- lost. High power rifles!

white eagle
12-23-2011, 11:02 AM
yeah some think deer are push overs but their will to cling on to life has been proven to me time and time again

Whitworth
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
All the dead ones I find, far from where they were shot has only showed me that they do die, but are tough enough to get away.
I have not been up at the place this year but last season I found 12 deer there---- lost. High power rifles!

I do believe that as I have killed game other than deer and deer aren't that hard to kill. You don't need a whole lot of penetration on a deer.

44man
12-23-2011, 01:28 PM
I do believe that as I have killed game other than deer and deer aren't that hard to kill. You don't need a whole lot of penetration on a deer.
Because they are smaller and penetration is still best with the right boolit work inside.
But they are TOUGH and will cling on very hard.
I have seen chucks with 100% of their guts blown across the ground from a .220 Swift, run 50 yards and get in a hole.
I will never say any animal is easy to kill because they will take you to the cleaners at some time.
It is funny that most deer lost here are shot with large rifles. 30-06 to 300 mags. Those shot with a 30-30 or .35 Rem drop faster and the .44 works fine.
Long ago in PA I helped a guy drag a small buck out. He shot it, it got up and ran. He tracked it in the snow, shot again---then again and again. Over a mile. I could cover all six shots in the chest with my hand. Wrong bullet, 180 gr Silvertip made for moose.
Then they guy that needed 11, 12 ga slugs to put down a little doe.
Yeah, deer are easy to kill!!!!! :kidding:

Uncle R.
12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Thread Drift!
Yep deer go down easy - except when they don't.
That's why I like 100% penetration for good blood trails.
<
Back on topic...
.44 mag?
I agree - it's an excellent cartridge. Both the cartridge and the guns are big enough for serious work but not so big as to be troublesome. Simple to load for, flexible, accurate, effective.
<
And I agree still - my Super Blackhawk is just about the perfect all-around handgun. Power and accuracy in a portable package. Does nearly anything well - or at least pretty well.
<
Uncle R.

Whitworth
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Because they are smaller and penetration is still best with the right boolit work inside.
But they are TOUGH and will cling on very hard.
I have seen chucks with 100% of their guts blown across the ground from a .220 Swift, run 50 yards and get in a hole.
I will never say any animal is easy to kill because they will take you to the cleaners at some time.
It is funny that most deer lost here are shot with large rifles. 30-06 to 300 mags. Those shot with a 30-30 or .35 Rem drop faster and the .44 works fine.
Long ago in PA I helped a guy drag a small buck out. He shot it, it got up and ran. He tracked it in the snow, shot again---then again and again. Over a mile. I could cover all six shots in the chest with my hand. Wrong bullet, 180 gr Silvertip made for moose.
Then they guy that needed 11, 12 ga slugs to put down a little doe.
Yeah, deer are easy to kill!!!!! :kidding:

Every animal is a law unto itself -- period. Some go down immediately, others cling to life for a little while longer. That said, deer still aren't that hard to kill or penetrate for that matter. Not the thickest skinned or heaviest boned animals I've killed. Still require proper placement like every animal and you need to be able to penetrate to the vitals.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 06:57 PM
My 629 mountain revolver is on the "to die with list". One of the boys will inherit it. The 454 and 475 are toys.

white eagle
12-23-2011, 07:51 PM
:hijack:

velojym
12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
While I like my XD45 for PD and PD use, when I'm out in the woods, I do like to have my 7.5" SBH on my hip. Very comfortable to shoot, and though feral hogs may go down to my .45acp or my .357, I'm far more comfortable with the .44 mag.

Lloyd Smale
12-24-2011, 08:34 AM
there is no better handgun for 95 percent of the big game hunting a guy can do. There easy to shoot, accurate and easy to load for. Ive owned a pile of big bore handguns over the years and have ran into very few 44s that couldnt be made to shoot exceptionaly. A guy armed with something like a 4 in N frame can use it for everything from small game to the biggest game in america. He can also use it for everything from personal protection as a home gun or ccw gun to big bear protection. I probably have as many 44 mags as i do all the rest of the calibers combined. Stand aside 45colt fans the 44 is still king!!!

ubetcha
12-24-2011, 09:09 AM
The 44mag is more than a 75 yrd gun.Alot of people use 44's in silhouette matches and the longest distance is 200m.Granted I would not attempt to shoot at any game at that distance but it is capabile of being accurate and have enough energy to knock down a 60lb steel ram target.Proper bullet choice does make a difference.I would not hesitate to shoot at a deer at 100yrds with the right load

LAH
12-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Stand aside 45colt fans the 44 is still king!!!

We sell two 44 bullets for every one 45. People love'em.

white eagle
12-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I shot better at 100 yds yesterday than I did
@ 50 yds with the 44 mag.
I am a believer
I have a 5.5"SBH with an Ultradot
nothing fancy

saz
12-25-2011, 12:55 AM
there is no better handgun for 95 percent of the big game hunting a guy can do. There easy to shoot, accurate and easy to load for. Ive owned a pile of big bore handguns over the years and have ran into very few 44s that couldnt be made to shoot exceptionaly. A guy armed with something like a 4 in N frame can use it for everything from small game to the biggest game in america. He can also use it for everything from personal protection as a home gun or ccw gun to big bear protection. I probably have as many 44 mags as i do all the rest of the calibers combined. Stand aside 45colt fans the 44 is still king!!!

As usual Loyd, I could not have said it better myself. +1 here!

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2011, 01:56 AM
HI,
The only gun I REALLY REGRET SELLING was my old 1970's 44 MAG Ruger SBH 71/2". I bought it used.
I traded it for my Ruger RH 7 1/3 ". IN 44 MAG. OF COURSE.
I just could not afford to get the RH, with out giving up the SBH.
I do like the RH, but I do miss that fine old smooth single action. I may have been a better shot with it.:Fire::Fire:

44man
12-25-2011, 10:14 AM
HI,
The only gun I REALLY REGRET SELLING was my old 1970's 44 MAG Ruger SBH 71/2". I bought it used.
I traded it for my Ruger RH 7 1/3 ". IN 44 MAG. OF COURSE.
I just could not afford to get the RH, with out giving up the SBH.
I do like the RH, but I do miss that fine old smooth single action. I may have been a better shot with it.:Fire::Fire:
Me too but I kept my SBH, 10", silhouette gun and sold my SRH so I could buy a BFR. Then I sold my XP100 and Lone Eagle plus my Rem .280 and Marlin .44. The rest of the list is long and if I would have kept all, I would be rich.
The first flat top Ruger .44, all the 29's, the Marlin 25-20, the Win 71, the model 12's, the pre 64 Winnys, the Browning hump backs.
Can we cry together? :x

white eagle
12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
I use guns to buy guns at times as well
no regrets cause seems I win either way :drinks:

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2011, 09:13 PM
HI,
WE CAN CRY TOGETHER.
I love the 44 mag. & if I could afford to I would shoot it as my only pistol.
Got a 357 RH so I could cross train, use my 5,000 cases, & shoot a bit cheaper.
IF THEY MADE A 22 RH I WOULD PROBABLY SCRIMP & SAVE TO BUY ONE.

BUT I STILL MISS THAT OLD SBH A BIT NOW & THEN.:Fire::Fire:

MtGun44
12-26-2011, 12:52 AM
I'd guess my screen name gives away my position on this one.

Bill