PDA

View Full Version : Fryxell's Keith-style 32-cal SWC? Lee GB mold?

evan price
12-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Reading Glen Fryxell's write-up of the 32 S&W he describes:

Several years ago, I had Mountain Molds make a mould for me to produce a 98 grain .312" Keith-style SWC (73% meplat, three equal driving bands, beveled crimp groove and a big flat grease groove). A couple of years later, this bullet was used as inspiration for one the Lee custom mould Group Buys for a 6-cavity gang mould to make a .315" diameter 98 grain Keith-style SWC (there were some changes made to the ogive and driving bands).
http://www.lasc.us/fryxellthe32s-wlong.htm

Does anyone know anything about this mold, was it run through Cast Boolits forum, and could it be run again as a group buy someday? I'd be interested in a Lee-style 6-cav aluminum mold of this boolit.

NoZombies
12-22-2011, 07:09 AM
It was run here, but before my time. It could be run again, but only as a full fledged group buy, as lee doesn't give any discounts or consideration for a re order.

I would take at least 2 of the molds if the GB is run with lee and the mold prices are around $60 a piece. Maybe 3.

WARD O
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I would be interested! I like the looks of Glen Fryxells MM mould.

Ward

scrapcan
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
have a look at this thread

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34607&highlight=keith

that may help you out a bit.

BCall
12-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I would be interested in one or two if they were done like Mr. Fryxell's Mountain Molds design. Not really interested in the Lee group buy design. The one that Glen had MM do looks to have a wider and longer nose, I would be in for one of them.

denul
12-22-2011, 10:48 PM
My copy of the Lee group buy version mentioned above is an excellent example of how good these molds could be. These have been extremely accurate in my 32 SS6 as well as my .327 GP100. Because of the smaller size of the bullet, it is difficult to overheat the aluminum blocks, which are themselves small enough to reduce casting fatigue. I am interested in pursuing this as a Lee group buy as well as because of the cost savings. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with our current Mihec and NOE situation. We have done so little with Lee lately that this would be an opportunity for them to repeat a successful group buy, and with their reduced backlog, perhaps get something done in less than a year's time.

I have no problem with a longer or wider nose, which may be closer to most people's perception of a Keith design.

evan price
12-23-2011, 06:15 AM
What are the specific 'rules' for a Lee GB? Would they be able to reference previous orders such that we could say "Make us some more of these" or would we have to start over with drawings & etc? Approx cost, lead time, etc? I've never honchoed before!

Hamish
12-25-2011, 03:34 AM
Interested

bowfin
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Here is a slightly heavier (105 grains) Keith Design done at Accurate Molds:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/artsmom/Coon%20Hound/31-105K-D.png

Tom has said before that he would do a group buy, if we can all agree on one mold.

It might be a while before NOE or Mihec can get to this.

358wcf
01-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Let's not make this boolit too light-

358wcf

nicholst55
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
I would be interested, depending on mold maker and cost. I'd prefer to see someone other than Lee enlisted to manufacture the mold - say NOE, for example. Granted, we couldn't get a 6-cavity that way.

As for weight, anywhere from 95-ish grains up to 110 or so. I'd plan to shoot mine through my old Colt Army Special .32-20.

revolvergeek
01-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I would be very interested in one in the Mountain Molds design in something like 105-110 grains.

ddixie884
01-14-2012, 02:04 AM
I might be interested, when the details are worked out. I will watch for developments, but don't have any input.......

bowfin
01-15-2012, 12:12 AM
I dropped an e-mail off to Tom at Accurate Molds to see if he would want to do something here, as I think his turn around time would be measured in weeks rather than months.

I don't have much to go on as to specifics, but I need a mold for .32 H&R and .32-20. Accurate Molds has a nice selection, but I am not tied to any one design, though something middle of the road would be a good place for me to start. So I am in regardless.

TomAM
01-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I have been asked to address the issue of a group buy here.

As most of you know, the purpose of a group buy is to reduce individual mold cost by distributing the cost of an expensive custom cherry cutter, and make the manufacturing more efficient by consolidating the machine operations into one block of time when the entire group is built, often using machines that are otherwise tooled up and occupied for a different job than mold making.

My machinery is devoted exclusively to mold making, and I do not make a new cutter for each new design, so the savings potential of a group buy with Accuratemolds.com is quite limited.
I do give a discount of $15 per mold for subsequent additional duplicate molds. This is the portion of the mold cost that’s devoted to rewriting the CNC code to a new diameter, and setting up lathe fixture for a new size or weight of mold block.

The discount can only be applied when a group of identical molds is made at once. So doing a group buy with me would require the usual process where someone volunteers to Honcho the order. He would get everyone to agree on a specific design, diameter, and in my case, block size and metal. He would then calculate total cost including individual shipping, collect everyone’s payment, and submit the order. The resultant savings would be a bit under $15 per mold.

bowfin
01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Okay, anyone want to weigh in on which .32 mold they would like from Accurate Molds?

We have to decide on design, diameter, mold material, and number of cavities.

NoZombies
01-22-2012, 01:38 AM
I still maintain that I would like to see a true re-run of the lee group buy mold. An increase to 105 grains wouldn't bother me, but I'm interested in the lee because of the 6 cavity option at a price that would probably be less than $75 and without being a year wait (NOE)

MT Gianni
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Talk to lee, get some specs and check with them about adherence to said specs. See how they want the drawings presented and if that is OK with you. Try to nail them down on a production time. Honco it, collect money and send it off.

WARD O
01-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Do it! I'll buy one.

Ward

Jeff Michel
01-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Count me in, I like the Accurate Mold version. Does Accurate Mold do a hollow point?

revolvergeek
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I really like the look of the Accurate Mold Keith, but I also like the lower price and 6 cavities of the Lee option. I am in either way as long is it is for one of those two designs and in the 105-110 grain range.

NoZombies
02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I just talked to Lee a few minutes ago about some other stuff, and while I was on the phone with them, I asked about spec's and time-lines on custom order molds.

Timeline wise, from the time the payment is received on their end, it's about 6 weeks to delivery.

As for the specs, they guarantee within .001" roundness, and .001" of specified diameter of the cavity. If the specs are off, they will re-cut the molds.

Some math should tell is the needed cavity size for WW's and we just set the specs accordingly.

I didn't ask about how they wanted drawings, but I suspect that would be something we could tackle. We will also need a honcho. I DO NOT have time for that, but this isn't my baby anyways, so someone else gets to do it. Blammer maybe, if no-one else steps up?

I would love to see this happen in any weight from 100-115 grains.

nicholst55
02-02-2012, 02:48 AM
I would also go for anything between 100-115 grains. I could certainly live with a Lee 6-cavity mold. Anyone else?

Jeff Michel
02-07-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm in, just need to know how , to whom and when. This would be my first attempt at a group buy and I do not know the proper procedure. any guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

evan price
05-22-2012, 03:43 AM
bumping!

evan price
07-18-2012, 06:32 AM
bump
Picked up a Taurus 327 recently, and want to try something besides my Lee 93-gr 1R in there.

NoZombies
07-19-2012, 11:36 PM
Okay. I will commit to buying 5 of these molds if cut by Lee and priced at $60.

WARD O
07-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I am in for one!

ward

Idaho Sharpshooter
07-21-2012, 11:00 PM
I could be talked into one, but only if we can get the weight up to 120gr.
RFN

Rich

john from md
09-13-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a S&W 16 that I am tired of shooting light Lee bullets in. I would buy a six cavity Lee if weight was 115 or above.

Regards,

John

Idaho Sharpshooter
09-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Would a NOE RG-4 or equivalent be some kind of wonderful? 120gr solid, 112gr HP.

I was at John Taffin's house this summer, and he was proud as a new Grandpa over a Gallagher conversion of a nice stainless 22rf revolver to 32H&R Magnum. He also had him fit a Bisley gripframe to it. I tried to sneak it out, but he pats me down when I visit.

Bored the original barrel, and remarked it.

Rich
Sua Sponte

NoZombies
09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
Guys, there is a heavier version of this in the works with NOE.

Look here:

RERUN NOE 315-115 SWC (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124375)

I do have something in the pipe to make this happen for the interested parties, but it'll be a few weeks before I make an announcement