PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon's Longshot in Pistol. Opinions? (data included)

thegreatdane
12-22-2011, 02:13 AM
So, I developed a spreadsheet which calculates desired charges based on desired velocities using linear equations.

As I plugged and plotted, it seems that Hodgdon's Longshot wins velocity and pressure hands-down.

Has anyone experimented with Longshot? I searched here, and found a few threads, but nothing too extensive. I'm curious about extreme spread, etc... all parameters.

Here's what I've calculated (see attached picture). These are for Speer J-word HPs.

*USE DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK. All is copied from existing load manuals, powder manufacturer websites. Double check. blah blah

subsonic
12-22-2011, 08:18 AM
I have some. Have only fired a few from a j-frame .38 @ +P velocities. So far so good. A little dirty.....

gray wolf
12-22-2011, 11:04 AM
You are correct --- Long shot can give good Vel. and low to moderate pressure.
My go to powder for hot loads in the 45 ACP. (when needed)
Tends to be a little sooty with low charges, and may leave some unburned powder
In short barrels. I like it, many people don't ever give it a try.
I like it in the 40 S&W also to keep pressure down.

Lefty SRH
12-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I found Longshot to be rather interesting powder for .40S&W. Nearly making it to the minor side of 10mm numbers. It preformed really well in my G24 and some 155 LRN boolits.

fecmech
12-22-2011, 06:14 PM
IMO it is the BEST powder in the 9MM for accuracy with high velocity using cast. In my Browning HP with the Lee 120 gr TC bullet and a max load of Longshot, 10 shot 25 yd groups averaged less than 2"@ 1240 fps. Also with the 147 gr cast @ 1018 fps accuracy right at 2", again a max book load. With the .40 being a very similar cartridge I would expect similar results.

songdog53
12-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Works good in 40's i have loaded and shot. I also using it in some 357's and works good for me. Keeps pressure down on the 40's which is good for me. Have even shot bunchs of 45acp loaded with it and haven't had any problems. But then this just me others might pro's and cons the other way.

Beau Cassidy
12-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I have 16 lbs of it and have been looking at it for the 9mm and .40 but was starting to steer away from doing that until reading this. On other forums I have read it is quite flashy and has a significant blast. I guess everything you read on the internet isn't true is it? Right now my go-to powder for .40's is Silhouette but I am running low. For the 9mm it is WSF.