PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Morning Breakfast

SciFiJim
12-22-2011, 02:11 AM
In the past I have made blueberry muffins for breakfast on Christmas morning. Along with ham cooked the day before, it is a very easy and fast without much effort or clean up. This year the kids have asked for something different. Do you have a tradition for Christmas Morning Breakfast? Please share the recipe as well.

dale2242
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
I like to make what I call Cowboy Breakfast:
1# venison breakfast sausage
2 cans canned potatoes
1 medium onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 dozen eggs
grated cheese of your choice
salt and pepper to taste

Fry and crumble the sausage in a large deep skillet.
saute the the onion and peppers with the meat
cut the potatoes into bite size pieces and add to the veggies and sausage
In another skillet scramble the eggs.
Add the scrambled eggs to the rest in the large deep skillet and mix
Cover the mixture with the grated cheese and leave on low heat until the cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy...dale

reloader28
12-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Sounds good Dale. The wife makes something like that once in a while.

For Christmas we do eggnog french toast. YUM

winelover
12-23-2011, 12:34 PM
This is a great recipe and can even be served as a dessert.

APPLE MAPLE PANCAKES

2 large eggs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 heavy cream
1/4 pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (I omit)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 large firm apple (Gala or Fuji preferred) thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries (I have used raisins and dried blueberries too)

Confectioner's sugar and/or cinnamon for dusting

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine eggs, flour, cream, maple syrup and salt in a blender and combine well. Melt butter in an 8 inch heavy oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add apple slices and dried cherries or cranberries and saute until soft and apples are slightly browned.

Whirl batter again until frothy and pour into the skillet, pushing the fruit back into the batter. Let skillet sit for a few seconds and place in oven.

Bake until pancake is puffed, golden and set. 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the skillet from oven and let the pancakes cool for a few minutes. Gently lift or slide pancake onto a cutting board. (I leave in skillet and cut in there) Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and dust with cinnamon.

Cut into slices and serve warm
Serves 4

NOTE:
I make this recipe in a 12" cast iron skillet and make 1-1/2 recipe, baking 15 minutes. Turns out good every time.

ENJOY! [smilie=1:

Mrs. Winelover

WARD O
12-23-2011, 01:05 PM
We'll be enjoying eggs benedict - it's a treat at our house and always tasty.

It is simple to make as I use a packet for the sauce and then it's just fried ham on a toasted english muffin with an egg (cooked your way) on top and then a ladel of hollendaise sauce scooped over the pile. It is really good and easy to assemble so anyone can make a special breakfast.

Ward

fatnhappy
12-23-2011, 10:25 PM
My mother used to make homemade cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning as far back as I can remember. I'll carry on that tradition as long as God allows.
cinnamon rolls (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1408105&postcount=33)

We'll have blueberry pancakes, waffles, hash browns and eggs to go with them.

BTW, this is what we awoke to last Christmas morning. Someone tried to catch Santa.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/005-9.jpg

Tom-ADC
12-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Sweet potato pancakes, poached eggs & bacon..
And good black coffee,

SciFiJim
12-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Sweet potato pancakes

Hmm. Can you share the recipe?

Tom-ADC
12-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Nothing fancy here we use "Bruce's sweet potato mix" Comes in a white bag you should be able to find it locally.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/lYI7Ev4maGuzbTTotCbnng9bCSF9t06I9q2tmxbwSiWtc_X_Iw fhmT_ADPA4cl7dSwIzFJz-sgWiwQLMsWPFokrOwzb8oFG7-D7K-eyno6N1xU3Cq-n2TBw8tXVR3fhzZgIyHKRxnIwIktuXgImDZq-VWSRBO_sjyP0xx-Gp_He-OPwKARWzvT_W_uRec_60DIIo4Q

Love Life
12-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I take corn bread and fry it like pancakes. Serve with the usual breakfast fare.

Circuit Rider
12-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Fatnhappy, It doesn't get any better than that, a boy and his dog. Neat! You sir are blest! CR

pmeisel
12-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't quite call it a tradition --- but often, Christmas Eve is pizza, good informal sit-around-and-talk food.

So Christmas breakfast for me is usually cold pizza, which I like a lot, and I don't usually have to share!

Shooter
12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I take corn bread and fry it like pancakes. Serve with the usual breakfast fare.

Try cooking the batter in a waffle iron, works great!