PDA

View Full Version : DA 45 Colt.. Redhawk or 625?

feets
12-22-2011, 01:49 AM
I've been itching for a 45 Colt DA that is packable. I'd prefer a 4" (or so) barrel and stainless finish.
Which route should I take? Redhawk or 625?
I know the Redhawk is a tank. The new triggers are much better than the old stuff. The down side is that they're a bit porky.

The 625 has the typical nice Smith trigger. While the gun is strong, it's nowhere near as sturdy as the Ruger.

Have any of you owned both guns? If so, what did you think about them?

I already have a 7-1/2" Super so that's out. I do not want an Alaskan either.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2011, 04:31 AM
I had a couple of 5 1/2" .44 Magnum Stainless Redhawks' and a 6 1/2" S&W Model 25-2 somewhere around 1988-1992. A shooting buddy had a 6" 629 Classic Hunter in .44 Magnum during the same time frame. That is the closest I can come to having both.

The N Frame is lighter than the Redhawk, but I didn't think the 629 shot any better than either one of my Redhawks, the 25-2 would out shoot all three of the others, within 50 yards or so. They are both going to be heavy and need a well designed holster and belt that fits.

One thing that I finally realized a few months ago when we were discussing .357 N Frames, the N Frame doesn't fit my hand well, while the Redhawk does fit comfortably.

If you are planning to shoot it a lot , I would get the Ruger. If you are planning to carry it a lot and shoot it a little, get the S&W.

The best thing to do since I am spending your money, not mine; is to get both of them. (How's that for being wishy-washy?)

Seriously, try to find both in the same shop to see which one feels better to you.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

Robert

frnkeore
12-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I have in 45 Colt a BlackHawk, RedHawk and a 625 and probaly alway will :) Regarding the choise between the 625 and RH, I would ask the question of how much power do you need/want? The 625 will handle a top load of 21.5 H110/296 and a 300 gr J or cast. Plenty of power for most anything. I shoot mine mostly with 8.5 gr Unique and a 250 H&G bullet. It's very accurate and will handle most all human animals. The trigger is much better on the 625, too. It's my favorite so, I rarely fire heavier loads in it.

But, if you want a big bear gun and the more durable one, the RH is the way to go. I shoot a 335 gr cast with 23 gr H110/296 (1330 fps/7.5 bbl) or 25 gr H4227 and a 300 gr J bullet at 1400. The 300 gr load gives me 1 1/4 groups at 25 yards and it's all I want to shoot (you can go higher). The trigger is not near as good though. I tried a lower power spring but, it won't fire reliably with it. I don't load it down and I don't shoot it much. It should still shoot well loaded down though.

Frank

rintinglen
12-22-2011, 05:09 AM
I'd vote for the RedHawk, simply because they fit me better, but you can't lose either way--they are both darned fine revolvers.

Mooseman
12-22-2011, 05:12 AM
I have the 625 and the .44 Mag Redhawk...The Redhawk fits my hand better and can handle hotter loads. I carry it as Backup Bear Medicine !
Rich

NickSS
12-22-2011, 05:49 AM
I have owned S&W model 25s both in 45 ACP and 45 Colt as well as several other N Frame S&W. I also tried many different sets of grips on them but after fighting with them for several years I ended up selling all of them for one reason. They do not fit my hands at all and I can not shoot them as well as I know that they can shoot. I do own a RH in 44 mag with a 5" barrel. The gun is heavy but it fits my hand and I can shoot it and I have no worries about wearing it out with anything I put through it. So I would pick the red hawk just because N frames do not work for me.

mellonhead
12-22-2011, 06:05 AM
I say the 625 for sure. I own 3 of them right now. Here is a little reading about the 45 Colt in an N frame by John Linebaugh.

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=12

Toby

btroj
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I thinkof comes down to what you plan to shoot in it. If it will be largely used with mild loads the 625 will be fine. If you plan to shoot large numbers of heavy loads the RH will hold up better in the long run.
The RH is built like a tank but you pay a price in weight. The 625 is lighter and handier but ou pay the price with reduced durability over a lifetime of heavy loads.

Whitworth
12-22-2011, 10:15 AM
I would opt for the Redhawk. I love Smith & Wessons, but they just won't stand up to the abuse of a Redhawk. Get the Redhawk and load it any which way you want.

ole 5 hole group
12-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I can't add to the advice already given but I'll say this - you'll have to shoot a ton of hot loads to mess up your Smith - and when you do, just send it back to S&W for a little repair.

Three years ago I sent a 29-2 back to S&W and the repair bill was $63.00 - I've never had to send a Ruger back.

I like my Redhawks but they are chunky monkeys compared to my 25-2 that was converted to 45 Colt.

drklynoon
12-22-2011, 02:19 PM
It's a strange dicotomy comparing these two guns. They are so dissimialar yet they have one thing in common DA. I love the idea of DA revolvers yet I rarely ever use it that way it's kinda strange. The Smith has a great trigger and is svelt yet it won't stand the heavy loads. The redhawk is specifically designed for heavy loads and has a passable trigger yet weighs a quite a bit more. I would just get a black hawk and be doen with it lol. My vote for you is the 4" redhawk though. I could not justify the expense of the smith if I know it'll shoot loose with my hunting loads after a 1000 rounds or so.

feets
12-22-2011, 02:32 PM
I already have a big Vaquero in 45 Colt so there's no need for a Blackhawk.

Thanks for the input so far.

USSR
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
The 625 has the typical nice Smith trigger. While the gun is strong, it's nowhere near as sturdy as the Ruger.

So how strong does it have to be? I own a S&W 25-5, and my 265gr cast HP at about 1050fps took down a large doe this year in one shot. I just don't get why guys feel they need to load the .45 Colt for Godzilla, when the biggest game animal in most cases is deer.

Don

frnkeore
12-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok, There is no other answer to this question than to BUY BOTH!!! The question should only be which one to buy first.

I'd buy the Smith first, before they can go up in price any farther and they are harder to find, then buy the RH and look for the best deal, there are a lot more out there for sale than there are 625 or 25's.

Now who can argue with that answer? :)

Frank

feets
12-23-2011, 12:38 AM
My pusher-man got to me in November. That's when I bought the Super Redhawk in 454. He got to me again in December when I bought my brand new 30 carbine Blackhawk for $377.
I can't afford to keep doing this.
I'm only interested in one more handgun and I need to decide which of these two it will be.

frnkeore
12-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Ok then, buy the 625 before your pusher brings the RH to inject into your hand.
Unless your getting over run by Brown Bears, in that case, get the RH first.
:violin:
You'll recover someday :)

Frank

Tom Herman
12-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Many years ago, I bought the Model 25 because Ruger didn't make a DA .45LC at that time.
I was happy with it: The trigger is great, and I love the beavertail hammer. The gun shot good with 8 grains of Unique behind a 255 grain bullet.
Then, I found out that Ruger was finally making DA .45LC's and in STAINLESS!
That pretty well retired the Model 25... One of my every day guns is the RH in .45 LC.
Here in the PNW, blued guns just don't do well out in the field. If I had a 625, I'd probably use it more than the 25, but I really enjoy the RH's...
Since I don't load super heavy, I'll proably never wear out either gun, so that's not an issue here.
If I were simply going to carry and shoot once in a while, I'd go for the Smith.
I do put a lot of rounds downrange with the RH's.
Either way, you can't go wrong. They are both quality guns, and that's all that matters.
I concur with finding a dealer that has both so that you can compare them side by side. Or just by both!
Best of Luck! -Tom

runfiverun
12-23-2011, 09:54 PM
i'd consider the redhawk but in 454.
if you need the power it's there in spades, you can still use the 45 colts.
options are always nice, especially if you consider the weights and the velocities available.
160 gr cast up through the ones that weigh more like a 45-70.
and velocities from 650 to 1650.

Ziptar
12-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I'd consider one also but Ruger never made a .45 Colt 5.5" barreled blued Redhawk.

I know it'll sound silly to some you guys but, I just can't do stainless and the Super Redhawk is just clunky looking. Just my preference.

I guess it would be possible to get a .44 mag 5.5" barreled blued Redhawk as they are common enough and get a smith to convert it. Maybe one of these days, it's further down the list though.

softpoint
12-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I have both. I have both a 5inch 625 in .45 ACP, and a 4 inch 625. and both 4 inch and 5.5 inch Redhawks. The Redhawks are .44 magnum. Since neither of these are in the caliber you specify, I'll just say that, Unless you need protection from dangerous animals, I'd get the Smith every time. The Redhawk is a good revolver, and no doubt it is strong, but it is like packing a chunk of railroad iron on your hip. My suggestion is the 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt. Nice to carry, nice trigger, and a 250 grain bullet at 1000-1100 fps. will go all the way through most animals under about 50 yards. JMHO..:lovebooli

feets
12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
What is the difference between a 625 and a 625 Mountain Gun?

softpoint
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM

The Mountain Guns are lighter, having slimmer barrels.

RKJ
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM
The Mountain Gun is a lighter weight version with a standard under lug and a tapered barrel, it also has Mountain Gun etched on the right side of the barrel. They are a couple of ounces lighter but I don't know how much.

1buba
12-25-2011, 12:19 AM
I've shot the 625 a few years back. BEAUTIFUL gun. However, I just bought a Redhawk 4" a couple days ago. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I don't expect the trigger to be as nice as the 625 was (but it was a bullseye gun).

The reason I made my choice is this is a protection side arm. While I would never want to rely on a handgun in the woods, that is indeed what it is for. If I get caught without a 12g or a rifle, I want my .45 to be loaded HOT. The Rugers are just tougher, no doubt. I personally believe the Smiths have a nicer trigger out of the box (my opinion only), but the Ruger trigger is not bad, and it can be cleaned up some. For me, it's all about where I live and what I want to use one for. :-)

Heavy lead
12-25-2011, 12:25 AM
I've got 3 625's like them a lot, have one Redhawk, while it is a good revolver, I just do not like the Redhawk, doesn't fit, I've got several Blackhawks of different flavor's in the .45, they are the best for me. Single action does not bother me, they are strong and easy to work on and handle recoil for me much better than any double action.
I very much like the Mountain Gun I have, what a great carry piece, you won't load Ruger loads in it, but who really needs them unless you are in bear country, if that were the case, I'd use one of my Blackhawks.

Snyd
12-26-2011, 02:26 PM
I'd buy the mtn gun but then, I've already got the Ruger :D