PDA

View Full Version : coyote hunting in illinois

NSP64
12-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Anyone in illinois hunting yotes?
I would like to try it after deer season closes in Jan.
When would be best to look for some? Nighttime? If so any time at night better then the rest, or just plan on staying out all night?

lead chucker
12-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Can you hunt them at night there? Or are you just trying to locate them for morning hunt. I howl just before day light to find where they are and then get set up and start calling after it gets light enough to see.

white eagle
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Hunt coyote anytime '
look for sign and make it fresh
if you are using an electric caller set it up up wind
from your location thy always want to circle in down wind
camouflage is a must ...remember they are looking for a distress
rabbit having a real bad day
dont call one area to much once or so a month ...have alot of area
if you are set up to hunt night try it but can call them anytime as long as they are there

white eagle
12-22-2011, 08:59 AM
get a hold of Rich Cronk
new member here
he makes a fantastic coyote call
called the Killer call

NSP64
12-22-2011, 12:26 PM
They are open to night time hunting until feb 15, 2012. daytime, year round.

JIMinPHX
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
get a hold of Rich Cronk
new member here
he makes a fantastic coyote call
called the Killer call

Does he sell them?

Hamish
12-23-2011, 03:10 AM
Double check the hunting reg.s, can't seem to pull up IDNR this minute but I seem to remember that it's a no-no on the electronic call.

NSP64
12-23-2011, 07:13 AM
You can use electronic calls . hunt 24 hours a day from nov 10-feb 15.

Russel Nash
12-23-2011, 08:20 AM
^^^ I'll send you a PM.

Although, I am thinking that while deer (shotgun) season is in effect, they don't want you out there using a rifle.

I bought 3 coyote hunting videos, and finally got around to watching them. It has me jones'ing to go coyote hunting too.

Two of the 3 DVD's I bought, feature Randy Anderson as the host/narrator, so here are the YouTube search results for him:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=randy+anderson+calling+all+co yotes&oq=randy+anderson&aq=2&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=830l2817l0l6536l14l13l0l1l1l1l314l2673l0.5. 6.1l12l0

I had some time to kill earlier this week, so I was putzing around painting a few of my AR mags:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt112/gryphon1994/CamoedMags.jpg

in anticipation of it snowing here in southern Illinois in January or February.

I haven't bought any calls yet.

You can make a call out of a spent .223 case too, by the way...I just haven't seen one close up yet.

Jal5
12-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Its great fun hunting them in Ohio. but don't expect it to be like those DVDs where you can see them coming in a long way! I set up the electronic caller down the ATV trail from me and hung a feather on a string. But he popped out of the brush at you most of the time when you are looking someplace else and scare the %$#@ out of you. Next time I am taking the shotgun with buckshot I think. Joe

TXGunNut
12-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Here in TX I think pretty much anything goes, anytime for 'yote control...other than land mines and hand grenades. Those methods haven't proven effective anyway. In the thick stuff it seems to work best with two hunters, second totes a shotgun to keep an eye out for sneaky ones. Just takes one close encounter to see the value of a shotgunner for the really close ones.

white eagle
12-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Does he sell them?
yes sir :lovebooli

crabo
12-24-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

MakeMineA10mm
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
I just had a farmer with several thousand acres offer to let me hunt yotes on it. Trouble is, there is a group of guys with a reputation for drinking and "hunting" out of the window of their truck who hunt that area. I need to talk more to the farmer about them, before I'm ready to jump, but it's exciting just contemplating the possibilities!!

Hamish
12-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh, I don't know,,,, having IDNR as a contact in your phone can sometimes be a good thing, Eliminating "road trash" is not only good for you, it's good for the whole community!

That's awesome getting into a hunting spot of that size!

@(:^]#>:::

Three44s
12-28-2011, 10:18 PM
A bunch of drinkers, driving around at night spotlighting ........... sounds like a heck of a deal!!

I'd say you are right to talk to the farmer who's show his trust in you and like Hamish says get your local DNR folks on speed dial and start a dialog with them as well.

You are about to reap a very rewarding land owner/DNR relationship there ........... good on you!!

Enjoy!

Three 44s

Hamish
12-28-2011, 10:56 PM
BTW, Russel Nash, I like the ideas you've tried with the mags! (I think we've been watching the same "How To" videos on Youtube.

I need to get some Bator's loaded up to try in the .223!

@(:^]#>:::

michiganvet
01-29-2012, 12:34 PM
When I hunted the night dogs there in the 80's you could hunt at night only during fox season and electronic calls can only be used in the day time.

starmac
01-29-2012, 10:34 PM
It has nothing to do with Ill, but this site is interesting if your interested in hunting song dogs.

http://www.coyotegods.com/

ilcop22
02-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Illinois: You can shoot a Coyote with any type or caliber firearm legally permitted, but if you dare try to take a deer with a bolt gun, you are going to jail.

That little discrepancy has always put a bug up my ***.