PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Questions for Those of You Who Have Mountain Molds

375RUGER
12-21-2011, 08:16 PM
First--Do you find the "as cast" bullet diameter to be accurate according to what you ordered?
Second--has anyone had a mold like this, 260g Original Keith, made and how do you like it? Or tell me about similar weights you might have made.
I had a screen shot from mountain molds but I can't get the file size small enough to attach. I'll put it up if I can get the size down.
Thanks

12-21-2011, 08:37 PM
On the first question. I have 7 or 8 of them. Based on the alloy specified in the design sheet, they are as close to spec as any I know of and far exceed the general plus or minus tolerances of the mass produced molds.

On the second. Dunno? But generally since Dan uses a lathe bore system, the relatively short (pistol) wide, flat designs like the "Keith", are the easiest for the lathe bore set-up to do... so I assume present the least likely chance for them to be out of spec.

Nobade
12-22-2011, 08:39 AM
I have two moulds from him, both with LBT style noses. They both came out just like I ordered and work great. The second one I got is a 95gr. plainbase 270 bullet for my little 270 Hornet. I really appreciate his service since you can't buy a bullet mould like that anywhere else.

white eagle
12-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Dan's work is first rate
if you are looking for a good mold look no further

bobthenailer
12-22-2011, 10:58 AM
I have 2 mountian moulds and i gave them my bullet alloy as WW and my sizing dia as .452 however they require alot more pressure than my 6 other 45 cal bullets do to size to .452 dia. sometimes i use spray case lube on the bullets before sizing . that is my only complant , other than that im pleased.

fredj338
12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Dan's work is first rate
if you are looking for a good mold look no further

Agree based on the mold my freind ordered. I ran a test batch of a few 100. The mold casts beautiful bullet right from the go. I alway ssize & lube, so as long as they are larger than my finished size, I'm happy.

jdgabbard
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Just posted this in the handcannons forum, so I'll just post a pic here. But he just completed a project for me. A 90g boolit for the 7.62x25...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=4666