PDA

View Full Version : My new De-rimming die. less than $10

MightyThor
12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
After taking stock of my various tools, I decided to make another de-rim die to use with the walnut hill press I bought. My stock of parts includes a few holders etc and all I needed was the right size hole to push things through. So I bought some 7/32 drill bushings that I can push the cases through and used a dremel to chamfer the opening a little. The brass pushes through and looks as good as any I have seen.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RLDG4M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002RLDHY6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09G5MD6ESZ06K9B7PJTP

frank martinez
12-22-2011, 10:44 PM
could you go into more detail or show photos on how it works.
Frank

DukeInFlorida
12-23-2011, 09:39 AM
What do you attach that drill bushing to?

Can we see it in action?

MightyThor
12-23-2011, 06:06 PM
My bad, I should have done this in the first place. Here goes.
The drill bushing you get and I smooth the entrance a little with a dremel. For a holder I bought a 7/8 by 14 bolt at ACE hardware, about 2 dollars. I cut the head off and drilled a half inch hole most of the way through. The rest of the way I drilled a hole big enough for the jacket to pass through.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pP8qhoRjxVpZf1k_gnN-LKoXi7btneKx5XLuvxHRW66IN0ono9_3jIa0FNw9nKR5AsET76 b1G9YbjXHs-_o1uMQ/Dieholder.jpg?psid=1
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1puXMnVLY2aQWGi0hONlXghSKDIfSj7tv5peNIbRykCLCYGFb hSBTekiyqIkcrPbcMS_6SUPHi7qt9vBF5aCw88g/Dieholder2.jpg?psid=1
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pQM6T8ApMA-pa_wZifd4ppCJlVVtwZ1dfWBiYRvoIqdWkcQ7Bf8crR8z2uB1Z teTeQSUmp0Dx1r_nAaRu9gMVUQ/dieholder3.jpg?psid=1
You could add a set screw to hold things in place, but mine is a slight press fit and nothing moves. I just put the bushing in the half inch hole with the bevel pointed down, Lock nut is off an old reloading die.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7nstHdv4p8dSGKJ-64M3aGyIOrT-rIZEICORRv-JKb6BitDgelSd3VLgIe3FcYeM_oSTQUI9dBzQtMKfkOxp1Q/Die.jpg?psid=1
For a punch I took a 1/4 inch machine screw and cut the head off, put it in the drill press and filed off material until it was just small enough to fit inside the 22 case. Polished it with sandpaper. I left threads on the end and screwed it into an old shell holder.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1powHJxj1vO9nrt7ekABSsHSRUXlDM5QfxNK6yg5EprI7kway 8DhCFXjeTb6cTUtUcgWjjcX27hTLV_N8RTED5Pg/Punch.jpg?psid=1
Here is the whole works set in my Walnut hill press. first case shown at the top.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pBaenNTivKTlqJjLRj5kui0hg_CYxMdhDePj5jjE0p6ra2GK bkYKfrjkJFt_YMF1JrtGCtPBrKUbgLfoSvNDPlA/inpress.jpg?psid=1
Finally, here are some cases I ran through the die. Smallest is 22 long rifle, middle is 17 HMR cut off just behind the shoulder, the longest is 22 magnum.https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pp0M5GXQRmda93MZz-nKg-nt1GMyVAoh0vRspxNzLjceLeR9abkd69Ql7y0yS3k_6YdlXHqi dPVTMe8B5pCjoqw/Jackets.jpg?psid=1

DukeInFlorida
12-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Pretty slick, and it obviously works fine.

BT, why not make them this way??????? Much cheaper and faster to produce...........

BT Sniper
12-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I got to make mine look and function worthy of selling to public or to ware the BTSniper name. That takes a bit more effort but the concept is similar and the results are certainly just as good. Cudos to the original poster. The jackets do look very good.

Pic of my derim die on the right
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1050942.jpg

Pic of my what my punches looks like
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060521.jpg

Mountain Prepper
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
After taking stock of my various tools, I decided to make another de-rim die to use with the walnut hill press I bought. My stock of parts includes a few holders etc and all I needed was the right size hole to push things through. So I bought some 7/32 drill bushings that I can push the cases through and used a dremel to chamfer the opening a little. The brass pushes through and looks as good as any I have seen.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RLDG4M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002RLDHY6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09G5MD6ESZ06K9B7PJTP

Excellent.

MightyThor
12-23-2011, 11:56 PM
There is no doubt that my stuff, banged out on a drill press, is not pretty. Especially that punch, Hideous!

BT Sniper
12-24-2011, 01:28 AM
All that counts is the end result when used for your personal use. In your case you are correct. The jackets look as good as anything else we have seen if not better. Good work.

Swage on!

BT

nicholst55
12-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Pretty is as pretty does; I love cheap, easy solutions to problems!

Buckshot
12-24-2011, 03:45 AM
..............What MightyThor accomplished what a machinist calls, "Good enough for who made it". It means the person who made it requires no excuses. And as BT Sniper mentioned, you have to 'pretty' it up when you're selling it to others. In this respect so that to folks who buy it, it looks production or proffessional. I call it looking just like a real one[smilie=w:

We all know why they polish apples, right? :-)

...............Buckshot

Utah Shooter
12-24-2011, 04:24 AM
..............What MightyThor accomplished what a machinist calls, "Good enough for who made it". It means the person who made it requires no excuses. And as BT Sniper mentioned, you have to 'pretty' it up when you're selling it to others. In this respect so that to folks who buy it, it looks production or proffessional. I call it looking just like a real one[smilie=w:

We all know why they polish apples, right? :-)

...............Buckshot

????? Good enough for me. I would buy one if you wanted to sell it Thor. How well it works means more to me than how it looks.

I would call it the way to do it without spending more than one needs. 14 bucks plus a couple of hours.....

Very nice.

MIBULLETS
12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the function is undeniable.

Reload3006
12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I agree with BT I would make and use that but I would not buy it nor would my pride as a machinist allow me to sell it. But it does a fantastic job Kudos your making what lots of folks want but dont have Get R DONE

MightyThor
12-25-2011, 03:22 PM
That is the beauty of not being a machinist. My friends who are welders like to tease me about my welds, my friends who are mechanics like to kid me about my vehicles, my gunsmith buddy likes to harass me about what I shoot, and my friends who are Machinists like to point out how my stuff is never within spec. All the same, they all marvel about the fact that my stuff works even though it is ugly, poorly serviced, oddly built, unmaintanied and usually inexpensive. Half the fun is tinkering on something till it starts to almost work right. Come from a long line of Montana ranchers. You usually have to build it cause it takes too long to buy it and get it here.

Wolftracker
12-31-2011, 01:54 AM
Thanks Mighty Thor,
Your home made de-rimmer is brilliant! This encourages me to try making equipment for myself, like maybe a Jacket reducer or two. Perhaps the same method would work for this? Sure wish I could come up with a lathe but I've already spent way too much with Corbin so I'll have to save up! If I'd have found this site first, I'd have alot more money in the bank.

DCM
12-31-2011, 02:13 AM
Great job! Thanks for sharing!

Longwood
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Mighty Thor,
Your home made de-rimmer is brilliant! This encourages me to try making equipment for myself, like maybe a Jacket reducer or two. Perhaps the same method would work for this? Sure wish I could come up with a lathe but I've already spent way too much with Corbin so I'll have to save up! If I'd have found this site first, I'd have alot more money in the bank.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys that are into reloading, especially the ones in tis swaging site, are tinkerers.
The best tinkering toy I own is one of those, fairly inexpensive, lathe mills.
I have made sooo much stuff since I got it. It paid for itself long ago in enjoyment alone.
All of the cool things I have made with it are a very welcome bonus however.
I sometimes sit and read on here, and other fun stuff sites that I belong to, just to find new stuff to make.
It is pretty rare that I buy anything I can possibly make these days.
I have made some pretty impressive stuff on a drill press with some good files and honing stones.

FWest
01-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Looks good , I think I will make one and see if my classic cast is up to the task. Thanks for posting.

MightyThor
04-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Shameless bump just to make it easier to find and cause the topic has come up recently!

Cane_man
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Thor, thanks! just what i was looking for, something like this, i am cheap *** and love to make my own stuff so this is perfect...

i could be wrong, but i think you can do just fine in swaging with grade 8 bolts and a small bench top lathe!

MightyThor
04-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I didn't have my lathe when I did that setup. Since then I have made better holders and much better punches. Part of my need at that time was because I had broken a punch that I had purchased online and was having trouble getting it welded up right, kept getting off center. Started with the punch cause I needed it first. Then decided to do the die cause I figured I could always use a spare for the one I had been using for decades. Needed to fine tune the two together but was very satisfied with the results. I have subsequently made a similar set up for 25 cal using a bigger bushing and 17 HMR brass.

Lizard333
04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
10 dollar derim setup on a 400$ press. Priceless. I love it. That's what makes this forum really cool.

plus1hdcp
04-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Well said

10 dollar derim setup on a 400$ press. Priceless. I love it. That's what makes this forum really cool.

arjacobson
04-24-2013, 09:01 PM
I made the exact same thing but found out how to make it work better(less force) Find someone with a cut off wheel and make the bushing around .250 long or shorter.. When you have a long bushing it will tend to stick to the pusher rod. It still derims and sizes the same but with only .250 or less in the die at one time you will be amazed how much better your results will be.. Worked for me..

Bored1
04-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Great idea!!!! Don't care what it looks like personally as long as it works! I would buy that before a "pretty" one.

Cane_man
04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
how about tapering the opening of the bushing for the first 1/4"?

i plan to mount this bushing inside of a 7/8 grade 8 bolt... it will look walmart beautiful

dbosman
04-24-2013, 10:52 PM
i plan to mount this bushing inside of a 7/8 grade 8 bolt... it will look walmart beautiful

Can one drill holes in grade 8 bolts with a $200 Craftsman drill press?

Cane_man
04-24-2013, 11:10 PM
^^^ i dunno, give it a try all you got to loose is a $2 bolt

dbosman
04-24-2013, 11:21 PM
^^^ i dunno, give it a try all you got to loose is a $2 bolt

Ummm. Nope. If I can't clamp things down and keep my fingers out of the way, and know the drill bit will get through the piece, I don't drill metal.
Some of you folks know what your doing. I nearly took the top side off a finger when a piece I was drilling - shifted.
Fortunately it wasn't the finger that has a flat spot from a scissors accident.

Rolling Stone
04-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Lots of good ideas here. I broke my derimming punch from Corbin and made me a new one out of a grade 8 bolt. Sorry to say, about 100 derimmings later the first 3/16 of the punch had worn down about .025 ( from priming material that didn't wash out)and the cases showed it. A hardened punch is necessary if you plan on any sort of production.
Rolling Stone

Lizard333
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Lots of good ideas here. I broke my derimming punch from Corbin and made me a new one out of a grade 8 bolt. Sorry to say, about 100 derimmings later the first 3/16 of the punch had worn down about .025 ( from priming material that didn't wash out)and the cases showed it. A hardened punch is necessary if you plan on any sort of production.
Rolling Stone

Or you could clean the 22LR brass prior to derimming to remove that material. Seems easier to me.

midnight
04-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Here I thought I had a really original idea using drill bushings in a pocket in a 7/8-14 rod and now I see many others are doing it. I found a source (Tacoma Screw) of 7/8-14 B7 ASTM A193 threaded rod. The same steel used in Grade 5 bolts. It should be strong enough to hold the drill bushings. I like the idea of using a short bushing. I have to do everything on a Grizzly 1006 mill so I don't thread except by hand. Am I right in assuming I'll have to grind the mouth flare in the bushing because its too hard for a tapered reamer?

Bob

Smokin7mm
04-25-2013, 02:48 PM
I experimented with the drill bushings before I got my RCE equipment. I used a dremel tool to taper the lead in. Then use a emery point in the dremel to smooth it and then polished it. It worked fine. I never did get around to mounting it into a die before I obtained my other equipment.
Bret

MightyThor
04-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Cane, there is no need to go to the expense of using a grade 8 bolt because that part does not receive any wear from moving parts. The bushing is already hardened when you buy it and the bolt just acts as a means of holding the drill bushing in the head of the press. It is also easier to machine, drill or modify the grade 5 bolt.

As far as making the drill bushing shorter, I never thought to try it because I never had an issue of things not working. My jackets pop off the punch on the pull down, the next jacket goes in and pushes the first one out with a little "pop" and I grab the first jacket and drop it in the bucket. In literally thousands of jackets I have not had one stick to the punch. I have had a few push the punch through the jacket and fold up at the bottom of the punch, but that is about it.

Also found no need to taper very far into the bushing. I just opened the end up enough to make the rim sort of self center and then polished that area so that things would slide in rather than catch.

On my punches, I have played with rounded ends, flat ends, tapered and straight sides and all sorts of materials. No question that the harder the punch, the longer they last, and that is how I have broken several. I work above a concrete floor and more than one punch has slipped out of my clumsy mitts or rolled off the bench and shattered. Now that I can make my own (have a nice lathe now) I am making them harder than before. When I was making them softer, I would just make a new one when the jackets started showing signs of punch wear (the line where the rim used to be gets more pronounced)

Truth told, I have shot a ton of bullets that had groves at the rim line because the punch was well worn and they function just as well for my use as any bullet that has a perfectly smooth jacket. I do not shoot bench rest with these and couldn't say if there is a difference or not. My son and I did dispose of some decade old paint in the cans using these bullets in my 222 and the results were explosive. Paint can shrapnel!

Rolling Stone
04-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Or you could clean the 22LR brass prior to derimming to remove that material. Seems easier to me.

Well now, What makes you think I didn't wash, tumble with SS pins and do all the normal things to clean the brass?
I wasn't the first one to fall off the cabbage truck. I have done this successfully for some time. My point was the same as MightyThor. " No question that the harder the punch, the longer they last,"
Have a Nice day
Rolling Stone