PDA

View Full Version : hi-point info

camaro1st
12-21-2011, 01:38 AM
ok me and mine is going to get our ccw's and she wanted a little more pistol than the 22 she likes. My question is are these hi-points any good (worth their money) or are they like the old jennings? Not looking for a debate just user/owner or hear say on quailty.

The10mmKid
12-21-2011, 02:11 AM
I could not recommend one as a Concealed Carry Weapon. :(
A HiPoint's 'plus' for your wife would be, they are heavy and she would feel less recoil moving up from the 22.

NickSS
12-21-2011, 06:08 AM
The Hi points work well as I have shot and handled several but they are straight blow backs and relatively large and heavy compared to other pistols. They shoot fine and the price is dirt cheap but as I said they are big and heavy for the caliber.

subsonic
12-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I see them as more of a truck or car gun than a CCW because they are heavy and larger.

If you are on a tight budget, check out Kel-Tec and Ruger semi-autos. Only a little more than the Hi-Pointe, but much lighter and nicer.
Also watch for police trade-in Glocks that can be had in the $300-350 range and are much higher quality than any mentioned above.

Who's this Guy ?
12-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi-Points are reliable. A friend of mine has had one in .40 for years and it eats any ammo he can put through it. They are good for informal target practice, car/ truck house gun, but like others said I wouldn't want to carry it for it's bulk and I wouldn't feel good carrying it with one in the chamber. Just my opinion here.

jh45gun
12-21-2011, 08:41 AM
They are good guns but bulky. I considered carrying my 45 High Point but felt it was just too bulky. Bulk is the key word here as they are no more heavier then a 1911 (Look at the weights guys its true :) ) I got a good deal from a friend for a Taurus 38 snub nose which is my carry gun.

One thing we are over looking guys she is a woman she could carry in a purse guys do not have that option. Well at least most guys LOL.

Jim
12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Camaro, did you know you cannot take the slide off a Hi-Point to clean the frame and inner workings?

VA Shooter
12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
My buddy has one and he loves it he said it is built like a tank and shoots very well but as said above big and bulky

jh45gun
12-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Camaro, did you know you cannot take the slide off a Hi-Point to clean the frame and inner workings?

You have been told Wrong Jim you drive out one Pin and here is a good explanation with pics.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246460

Not as easy as a 1911 but then take down of a Ruger Mark series 22 is not as easy as a 1911 either.

frontloader
12-21-2011, 12:22 PM

go to highpointfirearmsforum.com they break down fairly easy.i have the .45 acp model. out of the box it will feed and shoot anything that will fit in the mag.ive been workin with the lee 255 six hole mold. my hp .45 acp will out shoot my kimber stainless 2 and my ruger p95.thats with the boolits they prefer. but of course the kimber or the ruger wont shoot the lee 255 gr. thats why they stay in safe most of the time....yea it is bulky and kinda big for my ccw. but its the one that lays on the nitestand......frontloader

velojym
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
I see 'em like an AK compares to an AR. Sure, it's stamped, and sure, it's a bit rough around the edges, but if it works... there ya go.
I probably wouldn't CCW such a bulky pistol, but as mentioned above, I think it'd be a good truck gun (properly wrung out and tested, of course).
I've no experience with the pistol, but I did burn a few boxes of ammo through their 9mm carbine a few years back, and had gobs of fun with it.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
for a CCW for her try a 38 revolver you can get them as light as 12 oz and you can load the 38 special down as light as she is comfortable with for practice , and the gun will still function

unless your wife is a real gun girl , the less controls ,buttons and such the better.

a friend just took his wife to get her mandatory CCW training he didn't need it his armed services training met the requirements , but he went with her and way, she hadn't had any formal training before that qualified.

she used his ruger security 6 but fell in love with the easy to carry shrouded hammer smith J frame that the instructor passed around
she liked simple , easy point and shoot interface , realistically for most they are going to be 5 shot no reload carry guns that will hopefully buy the chance to flee

but that is all that is normally needed

and even 38 wad cutters are a better choice than a 22

as for the high point , they run fine and go bang when trigger is pulled , as long as they are well kept, they are worth the 150-175 you pay for them but for 300-350 you get a much easier to carry gun.

olafhardt
12-22-2011, 06:20 AM
The only worry I have is the slide can be hard to rack. I like mine.

kyle623
12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
hi points are nice pistols, but as stated not ideal for ccw. i would try a 38 snubby, or maybe a 380 auto from ruger, kahr, bersa, or any other maker. just my opinion though.

EMC45
12-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Bersa .380?

Mk42gunner
12-22-2011, 07:43 PM
My step dad just bought a used Hi-Point JCP and asked me to check it out and teach my Mom to shoot it. Before I went and spent any money buying ammo, I thought I would shoot out the eight rounds in the magazine. W-W FMJ if it matters.

Of eight rounds fired, I had four failures to feed. It would have been more I am sure, except for the fact that I had to chamber four rounds after clearing the ***.

You guys that have reliable ones are lucky.

Okay, my opinion is very low since it didn't work for me. Here are some good points: it shot accuratly, it didn't recoil as bad as I though a blowback .40 S&W would. The gun was suprisingly comfortable to fire, I just can't get past a 50% failure rate.

They are big and bulky, if you had a reliable one it would possibly conceal under a parka.

I'll go back to saving my nickles and dimes for a good gun.

Robert

M4bushy
12-22-2011, 09:13 PM
My step dad just bought a used Hi-Point JCP and asked me to check it out and teach my Mom to shoot it. Before I went and spent any money buying ammo, I thought I would shoot out the eight rounds in the magazine. W-W FMJ if it matters.

Of eight rounds fired, I had four failures to feed. It would have been more I am sure, except for the fact that I had to chamber four rounds after clearing the ***.

You guys that have reliable ones are lucky.

Okay, my opinion is very low since it didn't work for me. Here are some good points: it shot accuratly, it didn't recoil as bad as I though a blowback .40 S&W would. The gun was suprisingly comfortable to fire, I just can't get past a 50% failure rate.

They are big and bulky, if you had a reliable one it would possibly conceal under a parka.

I'll go back to saving my nickles and dimes for a good gun.

Robert

Why not return it? It has a lifetime warrantee.

Bullet Caster
12-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a C9 9mm Hi-Point that I use for carry. It's not as heavy as my 1911 but then it's made out of zymac. Mine failed to feed the first round out of the magazine so I took it apart and found the mag spring had been twisted. I fixed that and stuffed it back in and adjusted the feed lips on the mag and now it has 0 FTF problems. I also bought the 10 round magazine and had to take it apart as they had put the spring in backwards. After I fixed that and adjusted the feed lips on the mag, again 0 FTF problems. I cannot carry a weapon that I can't depend on. After my fixes I put nearly a box of factory rounds through both magazines with 0 problems. Robert, you may need to examine your magazines and adjust your feed lips on the mags and/or take them apart and check out the springs in the mags. The weakest point on any semi-auto loader is the magazine. I just wish that Hi-Point had designed the mags with more metal as they are very fragile and can be bent very easily. Hope this may help some one with a Hi-Point firearm. BC

LUBEDUDE
12-22-2011, 09:43 PM
This came up on another forum.

To paraphrase someone elses "ism" - would you trust sending your wife cross country in a 1979 Yugo ?

shovel80
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Jim...I've taken the slide off my wifes 9mm hi-point many times to clean it...it is just lots more hassle..you have to knock out a 3/32 Roll Pin...
Personally I DO NOT Prefer Hi- Points...but it has been a pretty good pistol for her..she's put close to 1000 rounds through hers...We have had some reliability issues!!

Terry

camaro1st
12-22-2011, 10:34 PM
lubedude, me being a mechanic yes i would seeing how its a 79 (but then wouldnt need the ccw) and still running, would you trust your newest vehicle in 32 yrs? As for the rest of you that gave me input on the HI-POINT, thank you very much!!!