PDA

View Full Version : Taper crimp 38's

Molly
02-27-2007, 03:00 PM
I've gotten a friend into reloading in general, and cast bullets in particular. But the old set of 38 spec. dies I gave him are bulging the cases during the crimping step, and he's not into it enough to sort by length so he can adjust the die accordingly. The only answer I know of is a seating die that gives a taper crimp, but for the love of mike, I can't find a source. At least, I can't find one that isn't special order. Anyone out there have one they'd be willing to let go of?

Thanks!
Molly

dtalley
02-27-2007, 04:00 PM
The only time I bulge cases when crimping is because I have the die screwed in to far... Just my 2cents worth...

GSPKurt
02-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Call FM Reloading in Hamilton. Or go to FMReloading.com.

GSPKurt
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
The Lee factory crimp die will not bulge cases regardless of crimp. I can verify that personally.

mister gizmo
02-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Assuming the case was properly sized and assuming it was properly belled ...

To diagnose the cause of the problem, you've got to separate the seating and crimping operations. Easy if you have 2 dies ... a seater and a crimper. Otherwise, back the crimp die out until it doesn't function at all and screw the seater plug in and see if it seats the cast boolit without making a mess. Then, work your way down until the crimp die does its job.

Since so many reloaders I talk with always buy the extra seater die, I wonder why the die makers just don't make a 4-die set ??? [smilie=1:

versifier
02-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Meacham makes taper crimp dies in that size. www.meachamrifles.com

DLCTEX
02-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Another vote for Lee FCD. Will not bulge case, case length not critical. DALE:Fire:

Dale53
02-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Lee DOES make a four die set.

Dale53

Molly
02-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Assuming the case was properly sized and assuming it was properly belled ...
To diagnose the cause of the problem, you've got to separate the seating and crimping operations. ... [smilie=1:

Oh, the cause of the problem is obvious enough: He won't take the trouble to sort his cases for length, and keep them sorted. So when he sets his die up to crimp a short case, it causes longer cases to develop a bulge at the crimp.

I've tried to explain this to him, but somehow he just doesn't seem to get it. And as the guy who got him into this, I feel some responsibility to get him out. The simple and easy route (it's HIS money) is a taper crimp die. The next best is a Forester case trimmer. He's stewing over things right now.

Thanks for the responses fellows. That FMReloading.com shop in Hamilton is a beaut, and totally new to me! (It's halfway to Dayton, and I'm on the SE corner of Cincinnati.)

Regards,
Molly

flinchnjerk
02-28-2007, 03:47 AM
RCBS makes 'em (I have one, usual RCBS quality). Midway has them in stock; product # 471839, $19.29.

Jon K
02-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Lee Factory Crimp die is the cheapest die to buy, Redding makes a Taper crimp die, but not cheap.

Jon

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Since so many reloaders I talk with always buy the extra seater die, I wonder why the die makers just don't make a 4-die set ??? [smilie=1:

Lee does, it's called their Deluxe die set and comes with a seater and a factory crimp die. Works great in most calibers I've had it in.

Regards,

Dave

Char-Gar
02-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Sounds like the guy is using mixed brass of different makes. If he won't seperate his brass, will he use a file trim die to give them all uniform length? A file trim die is cheaper, requires no adjustment and is about as fast as a lathe type trimmer.

Molly
02-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the guy is using mixed brass of different makes. If he won't seperate his brass, will he use a file trim die to give them all uniform length? A file trim die is cheaper, requires no adjustment and is about as fast as a lathe type trimmer.

That's exactly right, Chargar. But the file trimmer is something I should have thought of myself. That's what I'll recommend to him. Thanks.

slughammer
02-28-2007, 02:39 PM
A taper crimp for 38 spl can be done with a 9mm size die, just take out the decapping pin.

Doesn't need to be carbide, steel will work fine for this application too. I have used one on both 38spl and 9mm for taper crimping purposes.

Molly
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
That's also an excellent idea! Thanks.