PDA

View Full Version : Parkerizing parts

bigjason6
12-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey all, i'm just wondering what your opinions on parkerizing or bluing reloading equipment would be. I'm thinking parts like shell plates, shell holders, and dies. What do you think?

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Please don't parkerize your dies!!!! You will ruin the surface finish inside the dies, just like you would ruin a gun barrel by doing it. These areas must be masked so they don't get the treatment.

Bluing would look nice but probably not do very much to prevent rusting whihc it appears you are trying to circumvent.

I use Dillon Case lube on my unplated steel dies. It protects them nicely and is easy to use.

Randy

Ziptar
12-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Will carbide dies take bluing?

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't bother parkerizing anything for sure and after using reloading tooling in the white and blued, I prefer it in the white. I just keep things oiled down if rust is a problem. Usually isn't for me though.

Best Regards,

Dave

thehouseproduct
12-20-2011, 06:24 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113049

Shooter6br
12-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Try using drain cleaner (see archive) Son did motercycle bolts. Nice! ( actually a blacking solution)

jimkim
12-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Try using drain cleaner (see archive) Son did motercycle bolts. Nice! ( actually a blacking solution)

We used to phosphate tools with drain cleaner. It really worked well.

beagle
12-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Carbide dies will take bluing as the carbide part is only a ringed insert at the case mouth that is usually inserted, epoxied and a roll crimp applied over it. I have had several come out over the years./beagle

Will carbide dies take bluing?

beagle
12-21-2011, 11:29 PM
I had a Number 1 Ruger rebarrelled to .38-55 once and requested a matte finish.

This looks like a light bead blasting followed by blueing. It has proven to be avery durable finish.

If you could do the dies, minus the internal surfaces, that would probably work but would be pretty expensive./beagle

WilNsc
12-22-2011, 01:51 AM
I've though about doing mine in gun-kote. But I figure there's no company that I've seen that sells painted or coated dies other then metal plating, so I assume there's a reason for it.