PDA

View Full Version : Another question

rak1
12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
What is the process of adding tin to ww?
Thank you for any responce.
Dick

Reload3006
12-20-2011, 01:37 PM
dont know that there really is a process but this is what I do. Maybe some one else that really knows will jump in here and tell us more.

I figure the amount I want to put in. Flux my pot (molten lead antimony etc mix) add the tin and I flux again because its supposed to help it mix dont know if it really does or not but I do it that way. ... I only flux with saw dust anymore I used to use wax but I believe saw dust to be a lot better.

Lizard333
12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
I just weigh my solder and add it in. Slowly, if it has a resin core. I do this before I flux my pot.

Doc Highwall
12-20-2011, 08:42 PM
I melt all my lead in a 14Qt dutch oven and use a 8" cast iron frying pan as an ingot mould (makes approximately 20 lb ingots.

Then when I am going to alloy it, I weight four or five of the ingots to see what the total weight is and then weigh the tin for the alloy I want.

The 8" ingots will fit into a 8 Qt dutch oven that I use only for alloying.

The lead after it has been sturred and fluxed, that I know that it is real clean now, then I add the tin.

This alloy is now poured into smaller ingots that fit into my LEE pot.

All of your melting and alloying should be done in a seperate pot, not one that you cast from. This helps keep your bottom pouring pot clean, giving better boolits.

Lead weighs approximately 23 lbs. a Qt.

ku4hx
12-20-2011, 10:11 PM
The process is basically the same as adding eggs to boiling water: do it slowly and try not to splash or cause the pot to overflow. Or you can put the eggs into cold water and bring it all up to temp. As a personal choice I favor the second option.

mpmarty
12-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I pull off a strip of leadless solder and feed it into the molten pot. then flux.