PDA

View Full Version : Green Mountain barrel

7-30 Waters
12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Does anyone own a Green Mountain LRH barrel with a 1:28 twist?

If so, does it come with a GREEN instruction tag like the 1:70 round ball barrels?

Can you post a picture of it?

I'm curious as to what they say you can and can't do with this barrel.

Thanks,

John Taylor
12-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Why not call GM and ask them for one? 603-447-1095

7-30 Waters
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I have emailed Green Mountain, but received no response yet. Hopefully, they will respond within a couple of weeks.

My intention is to order a replacement barrel from them for my T/C Hawken. I would like to shoot a 310 grain Buffalo Ball-et & 330 Maxi Ball-et from their 1:70 twist round ball barrel, but their literature says round balls only. No maxi, Lee REAL, or sabot bullets.

I just don't understand why they say roundball only in their 1:70 twist barrels. What possible liability are they afraid of?

tacklebury
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Think you are referring to the one in another post?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1506402&postcount=4

Flinchrock
12-20-2011, 10:24 PM
I have emailed Green Mountain, but received no response yet. Hopefully, they will respond within a couple of weeks.

My intention is to order a replacement barrel from them for my T/C Hawken. I would like to shoot a 310 grain Buffalo Ball-et & 330 Maxi Ball-et from their 1:70 twist round ball barrel, but their literature says round balls only. No maxi, Lee REAL, or sabot bullets.

I just don't understand why they say roundball only in their 1:70 twist barrels. What possible liability are they afraid of?

1-70 doesn't stabilize conicals very well, that and the grooves are too deep.
I doubt if they are worried about liability.

12-20-2011, 11:00 PM
It's not liability but performance they are concerned with. Their rep as a great barrel maker is reflected in the barrel's accuracy. 1 - 70 won't stabilize a conical very well at all. 1 - 70 and round ball is a tack driver.

Geraldo
12-21-2011, 08:06 AM

You'd be better off shooting RB in a fast twist barrel than bullets in a RB barrel. My slow twist .58 GM will shoot ragged holes with RB, but when I tried a few Minies I had the group was horrible.

Conversely, in my 1:28" .45 GM barrel, RB with charges of 45-55gr shoots very well.

7-30 Waters
12-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Think you are referring to the one in another post?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1506402&postcount=4
Tacklebury,

Thanks, I was referring to the one from the other post.

I'm not sure how many shooters use the Green Hill Formula for determining if a bullet will stabilize given the bullet diameter, length, and B.C.

Given these factors in the formula if I run the 310 Ball-et over 1400 fps it should stabilize in a 1:70 twist barrel. I would need to run the 330 grain Maxi ballet 1600 fps in a 1:70 twist in order to stabilize it.

12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Without trying to extrapolate the caliber you have based on the conicals described, more power to ya if you can get any solid conical to shoot as well, even the really short ones, as the patched RB in the 70" twist barrel. The twist rates vs conical length as described in the Greenhill formula/tables kinda work as a guide but as an aside.... in no way is that formula to be confused with how a hollow based conical minie works in slow twist bores. Be interested to see your results after you've run a valid test of the theory as based on the Greenhill numbers (comparing the short, solid conicals to the patched RB).

7-30 Waters
12-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Without trying to extrapolate the caliber you have based on the conicals described, more power to ya if you can get any solid conical to shoot as well, even the really short ones, as the patched RB in the 70" twist barrel. The twist rates vs conical length as described in the Greenhill formula/tables kinda work as a guide but as an aside.... in no way is that formula to be confused with how a hollow based conical minie works in slow twist bores. Be interested to see your results after you've run a valid test of the theory as based on the Greenhill numbers (comparing the short, solid conicals to the patched RB).

I will be happy to post my results once I have obtained a 1:70 twist, 54 caliber Green Mountain barrel.

I won't be able to start my testing till February of 2012. Deer season here in Nebraska goes till January 18th, 2012.

By then I should have some Lee REAL, 300 grain bullets also to try.

xcr440
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Ave you had a chance to try out the barrel?