PDA

View Full Version : Next time it'll be RCBS

nvbirdman
02-27-2007, 01:46 AM
I bought a Hornady file-trim die for a .357 Herrett, but I had two problems with it. The die was so short (or the locking ring was so thick) that I was filing the top of the locking ring instead the top of the die. The second problem was even without the locking ring and the die screwed down to touch the shellholder the case still came out two thousands over maximum length.
I sent the die back to Hornady explaining the TWO problems. I got the die back today with a note telling me that I need an extended shellholder with that die and they sent me a catalog that shows the extended shellholder.
Nothing in the catalog warns you about needing the ext.s/h, I guess you're expected to learn the way I did. But the ext.s/h wouldn't do any good anyway because as I noted erlier the case still comes out over max length.
I swapped locking rings with a thinner one from another brand, and I'll try to use my Dremel tool to grind about .010 from the bottom of the die and I'll still buy Hornady bullets from time to time but no more of their tools.

omgb
02-27-2007, 02:20 AM
An extended shell holder for the .357 Herret? That's a new one on me. Should be just about the same length as a 30-30 IIRC. Seems odd.

454PB
02-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Some years ago my son bought one of the Hornady case trimmers on my recommendation. He found that the mandrel would only fit through Hornady shellholders. He called Hornady, and they told him yup, you need to buy our shellholders to use our trimmer. Replacing 10 or so shellholders would cost the same as the trimmer. I put the mandrel in my lathe and turned it to a diameter that would fit EVERY shellholder.

sundog
02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
+1. Mu Hornady is cast impressioned Pacific, with a Hornady stick on label. Same thing. Trimmed it down and it takes any standard shell holder.

nvbirdman
02-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I fixed it. Fifteen minutes with my Dremel tool (half the time grinding and half measuring) and it works perfectly.
BTW the 357H is formed from a 30-30 but is blown out and shortened.