PDA

View Full Version : Ingot Size

Revolver
12-19-2011, 10:50 PM
I've yet to cast my own boolits yet, I still have plenty of left I bought from mid-atlantic this year. I am however gearing up to pour a whole lotta of ingots. I am going to make my own ingot molds by sand casting aluminum and am trying to choose dimensions so I can build a wooden pattern.

For some reason I think 1 lb seems too small. I am thinking approximately 1.75" wide, 3.5" long, and 1.25" deep, tapered of course. Using a truncated rectangular pyramid volume calculator I would end up with approximately 3 lb each +/- 0.5 lbs depending on how I adjust measurements, taper, etc.

So, I am seeking advise from people who actually cast and handle ingots to let me know... what do you feel a comfortable ingot weight and/or size is to work with?

Springfield
12-19-2011, 11:21 PM
It depends on the size of your casting pot. If you have a 10 lba LEE 1 lb is fine. If you use a 40 lb Magma like I do then 1.5 to 2.5 is fine. If you use a large ingot in a smaller pot it might freeze the spout/flow, assuming you refill the pot as you cast.

beanflip
12-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Here is a pic of my mold that I made and the ingots that it makes. These stack real good.

The block ingot measures in inches 8 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 1 5/8 in which can be
broken into 3 pieces. I made the mold so if some time that I ever sold any
lead that it could fit in a small flat rate box.

A single ingot measures in inches 2 3/4 x 5 1/4 x 1 5/8 and weights about
8 pounds. These will fit in a Lee 10 & 20 pound lead melters.

The weight varies any were from 23 to about 27 lbs per the block of 3
ingots.

220swiftfn
12-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Here is a pic of my mold that I made and the ingots that it makes. These stack real good.

The block ingot measures in inches 8 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 1 5/8 in which can be
broken into 3 pieces. I made the mold so if some time that I ever sold any
lead that it could fit in a small flat rate box.

A single ingot measures in inches 2 3/4 x 5 1/4 x 1 5/8 and weights about
8 pounds. These will fit in a Lee 10 & 20 pound lead melters.

The weight varies any were from 23 to about 27 lbs per the block of 3
ingots.

Nice...... I have a couple of Camp Chef bread pans that I'm going to be trying out the next time I batch WW's (I figure that half way will be about 10lbs, full @20.) They probably won't fit in the pot, but will make alloying ingots that'll stack well (just have to stamp them with the weight for when I play "how much tin"...)

Dan

cajun shooter
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
It is best to have a few different sizes and is a must if you plan on making your own alloy. Huge ingots will not fit into most pots as it's best to top off before the pot is empty.
I always refill my pot to the top when finished for the day as it stops the inside of the pot from rusting.
Also if you are casting and need to soften or harden the alloy you will need small amounts.

Mk42gunner
12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Sand casting aluminum for ingot molds at home is more involved than I have done.

I like using 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" angle iron about 10 1/2" or so long. I got the idea from BruceB. This length makes a decent ingot that is around three pounds IIRC. I am out right now, I neeed to get some more lead, smelting season is upon us.

Make sure your ingots are tapered for easy release. Since you plan on making your own, make a few more molds than you think you will need; I like to be able to empty my smelting pot in a couple of fills of ingot molds.

Good luck,

Robert

canyon-ghost
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/October152010002.jpg I have two different ingot molds, one is angle iron made from 1/4". It's thick and heavy but coated with Kroil, you can pop them out with a knifeblade. 2x2 angle cut 6" long with 11" sides.

The other is made from 3" channel iron, same pattern 6" long with 11" sides.

The first is 3 pound ingots, the second is 7 pound ingots. Either fit any lead pot.

imashooter2
12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm a big fan of the Lyman / RCBS / SAECO one pound commercial molds. Convenient size that I set on the rim of my pot to preheat while I cast then replenish the pot as the lead level sinks. They don't stack a nice as the larger angle and channel iron homemade molds do, but I store my ingots in 5 gallon buckets with lids to keep the dust and dirt off. I spent time and effort getting the ore clean. I want it to stay that way.

GT27
12-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I use muffin pans, cheap price-2/$5.00 ,cool fast, non stick, perfect size for my Lee Pro Pot! 3 galena muffins and it's full,quite the galena baker I am!:bigsmyl2:

http://i39.tinypic.com/140eryb.jpg

kitsap
12-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Guys,

Have a look at the molds made by RayinNH on this board:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=925868#post925868

I bought two of the 3 in square by 1.25 in thick molds and have been very satisfied with their performance.

DougF

drklynoon
12-21-2011, 03:16 AM
My dad uses a 2.5 pound angular ingot. It's works well in most pots and stacks great.

Mal Paso
12-21-2011, 12:30 PM
I made some from1/8 x 2" angle 7" long. Make a 4-5 pound ingot. Long enough to be safe to add to a lee 4-20 and short enough not to be dangerous when it melts.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37550&d=1321368276

mdi
12-23-2011, 01:15 PM
For me and my fat fingers, picking up an angle iron ingot (triangular) with pointy end up can be difficult (1 1/2" angle x 6' long). Can't get a hold of it. So I just went with muffins; 2 1/2" on the big side...

williamwaco
12-23-2011, 01:29 PM
The size you quote will fit into any pot I have ever used.

BUT!

I add metal while casting one standard ( one pound ) ingot at a time.
If you are using a ten pound pot, anything more than that will ( usually ) cool it off so much you have to wait for it to heat up.

I now use a Lee 20 pound pot.

One or two one pound ingots can be added with no trouble. A 2.5 pound muffin tin ingot will not cool it down too much. Three pounds is more than it can deal with.

If you are going to use three pound ingots you need a 20 pound pot and put the three pound ingot in as soon as the alloy level drops enough to allow adding that much.

Better yet, if your have the wiring, get a 220 volt pot.

Adding three pounds to a 10 pound pot will probably cause the spout to freeze.