PDA

View Full Version : Reducing lube groove depth

kamikaze1a
12-19-2011, 07:12 PM
I was part of a gb for a 147gr 9mm mold some time back. When I dropped the first pour, I was amazed with the extreme depth of the lube groove. It looked at least twice as I would expect. I found during sizing/lube that I have to crank down on the lube pressurizer more frequently and go through a stick much quicker than with other bullets.

Question is, I am wondering if a competent machinist could use a mill to cut down the lube groove from the end with the halves mated. It would seem to be a simple operation...or should I just live with the extra lube use. Lube is inexpensive and replacing a messed up mold would be more costly.

turbo1889
12-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Eric @ HollowPointMolds(.com) offers exactly the kind of service you are asking about. He mainly does drive band re-cutting (imagine you have a mold that drops a boolit that is 0.356" diameter and you need a boolit that is 0.358" diameter to fit your gun he can re-cut the drive bands and the drive bands only expanding them to exactly what you need) but it would be a simple operation for him to reduce the depth of the lube groove using the same tooling. I wouldn't call his service as priced cheap but it isn't dreadfully expensive either but you might PM another forum member with the screen name "Buckshot" and ask him if he would do the job and how much to see if you can get it done cheaper or not then what Eric will charge.

kamikaze1a
12-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks, I'll do that...