PDA

View Full Version : LEE production pot question

Norton
02-26-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a 1997 Lee production pot that no longer gives a constant stream of lead when I open the spout. It only comes out in drips. How can I clean out the pour opening? Is there some way to remove the valve to clean it? I t was worked trouble free for ten years and never had this happen. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix it?

454PB
02-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Hopefully it's not so plugged it needs to be removed. I use a dental pick to keep mine clear. I position the pick below the opening with the pot full of molten alloy, then open the valve and ream it out. This results in about 400 to 800 grains of lead piling up on the aluminum base, which can be returned to the pot with needle nose pliers.

My daughter works for a dentist, so I get lots of old dental tools of high quality from her. The one that works best is the type used to pack the filling material. It has a round prong at a 45 degree angle on each end, about .010" in diameter, and 5/8" long.

Before I had the picks, I used a finishing nail clamped in a small set of vice grips. If you get in the habit of clearing the nozzle every 100 boolits or so, you won't get the gradual reduction in flow and much more consistent boolits.

Sundogg1911
02-27-2007, 02:39 AM
I use a small finishing nail in a pair of vicegrips with the pot hot. I place an ingot mold under the spout to catch the "Lee casting pot silver Spiders" I usually keep an ingot mold under the spout while I cast for the same reason

Norton
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
I used a number 3 finish nail and it worked perfect. Problem solved..
Thanks for the tip.

versifier
02-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Hmmm. Sounds familiar.... Don't give the urologist any ideas, OK? :)