PDA

View Full Version : 44 spcl/ mag

kbstenberg
12-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes I am awair that 44spcl casses can be shot in a cylinder bored for 44 mag. But I was wondering if there was any negative affect if a person shot 44 spcl casses exclusively in a cylinder bored for the mag. cartrige.
I am awair that there can be a fowling bildup in the cylinder at the end of the spcl case. But with continual cleaning should this be a prob. with long term use?
Kevin

Jim
12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't THINK there would be a problem. I've been shooting .38 Specials in a S&W model 19 for years and it hasn't affected the chambers one bit. I clean it well after every firing, even if it's just one shot.

There's a lot of guys on this forum that make me look like an amatuer. Ask around, I'm sure somebody knows more about this than I do.

Snapping Twig
12-19-2011, 06:20 PM
There's a school of thought that believes bullet jump can affect accuracy.

That being said, there's no physical damage issues to be concerned about.

I'm not convinced specials shoot any less accurately in a magnum, regardless of the caliber. Mostly it's a matter of the individual firearm as they are all a world unto themselves and a load that shoots well in one might not in another.

There is a dedicated chamber cleaning brush, get one of those.

Char-Gar
12-19-2011, 06:21 PM
A fellow can sit around, scratch his head, ruminate on the subject and come up with a negative theory or two about shooting 44 Specials in 44 Magnum charge holes.

But in the real world, it works just fine, with no real problems. Accuracy generally doesn't suffer with the shorter case in the long magnum chamber. I have done it for many years.

In some, but not nearly all .357 Magnums, the shorter 38 Special case produces a smidge less accuracy, but that is not true of the 44 Magnum/Special. BTW...I have one Colt Python that would shoot 38 Special much better than anything I could stuff in the longer magnum case. Go figure!

MGySgt
12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Unless you have a good supply of 44 Special brass - (or can get factory 44 Special cheaper) I can'tr see using the special brass over the Mag. I just did a quick check on Midway and both 44 Special and Mag for Star Line brass was 89.99 for 500 cases - both were the same.

You can load down the Mag to special pressure and load Mag when wanted or needed.

Now if you have both 44 special pistol/rifle and 44 mag - than there is a lot of benefit to loading the majority of 44 special - use in either/all guns. That makes a lot of sense.

Just my 2 cents worth.

white eagle
12-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I only see one disadvantage to using mag cases for special loads
load density.I want a revo in special real bad .....my next purchase .
keep the cylinders clean should be a non issue

MGySgt
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Load density - with some of the newer powders (TrailBoss) the load density goes up.

Bulls Eye and Unique are good powders in the Mag case too! (Yea I know - old stand bys)

bobthenailer
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
loaded in 44 mag cases Bullseye & Tightgroup powder work excellent from 800 to 1000 fps .
I personaly only use magnum cases in magnum handguns.

EDK
12-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I shot 5.0 of TITEGROUP in 44 Special brass in my VAQUEROS for a couple of years and about 30,000 rounds+ in four or six guns...I need to keep notes on round counts. I had 2,000 nickle plated casings picked up at bargain prices...still got a bunch. I went a little higher and started using Magnum brass...got some SMOKIN' DEALS on Magnum brass.

Clean the chambers with a NYLON brush after each range session...with either casing!... and live happy ever after.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

44man
12-22-2011, 10:08 AM
There is just nothing wrong shooting shorter brass however I find a little less accuracy when I do.
I think it is because the boolit will lay in the chamber and needs to jump up into the throat, then again into the forcing cone. Double whammy so to say! Will the brass also expand off center?
Some get leading at the lead in to the throats so is a boolit getting damaged?
Would I be off by saying very soft lead in the shorter case will be worse?

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Im kind of with 44man. Ive done it lots. Ive got them to shoot just fine but it takes a bit more time working up loads to find that majic load and 44 mag brass is just as cheap and its easier to find so I just dont see any advantage over loading light loads in 44 mag brass.

Shuz
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
FWIW-- I've been shootin' the .44 mag for 48 years and have never seen the "need" to try a .44 Special case in any of my guns. Whatever you save in powder cost for the milder loads, seems to me, to be far out distanced by the extra hassle of cleaning cylinders, separating brass, and changing die settings, especially on a progressive loader like the Dillon Square Deal B that I use.

Char-Gar
12-22-2011, 05:17 PM
If a fellow has only a 44 Magnum, and buys cases for it, I see no need to buy 44 Special cases. The longer magnum case can be loaded all the way up and down the velocity range and give sterling accuracy while doing so.

But, if a fellow has a batch of 44 Special cases and a 44 Magnum sixgun, there is no reason not to use those cases. Then there are guys like me who own both 44 mag and 44 Special sixguns and sometimes like to use the same load in both and then the Special case if the way to go.

bearcove
12-23-2011, 06:46 PM
No problem. I've shot 50k 38 specials in my BH. I clean before shooting mags. I do get best accuracy with mag brass.

shooting on a shoestring
12-25-2011, 12:26 PM
kbstenberg, you've got it right. Don't risk it. You and I know Specials can be fired in Magnum chambers, but no need to waste a perfectly good reason to buy another revolver with the correct chamber for that 44 Special brass you have. You'll be glad you did once you get past the hard part of deciding on barrel length, SA or DA, new or used, SS or blue etc... then slogging through the pawnshops, gunshops, gun shows, oh yes and the painful load develovopment, then, then, you will be rewarded with knowing you don't have any risk of short brass in long chambers. Best of luck, Happy Hunting. Show us pics of the new revolver.

Dframe
12-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Your first thoughts are correct. With proper cleaning there will be NO negatives of any kind.

BOOM BOOM
12-25-2011, 09:45 PM
HI,
AT RISK OF BEING FLAMED.
No problem, 22 s,22L, 22lr in 3 different 22 revolver over the years, never had a problem. 1,000's of rounds shot.
38 s, & 357 in 3 different 357 s over the years no problem, 1,000's of rounds shot.
44s & 44 mag in 2 different revolvers over the years on problem.
loaded the 38s & 44s brass to normal length & normal loads, & to mag overall length & mag loads, 1,000's shot, never a problem. Flame suit on, but ducking.

I also know that some shoot 458 win mag. in 458 Lott chambered rifles.
I know they do the same in 22lr, 357, & 44mag rifles.

BOOM BOOM
12-26-2011, 04:34 PM
HI,
Just read on another thread that Skeeter Skelton did the same long load trick.
Also have a friend that also does it with no problem, with 1,000's of rounds.
This also solves the big boolit jump/ accuracy problem.
Just work up from 38 +p loads slowly, into the low 357 loads, & 44 sp loads into the low 44 mag loads.:Fire::Fire:

williamwaco
12-26-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't THINK there would be a problem. I've been shooting .38 Specials in a S&W model 19 for years and it hasn't affected the chambers one bit. I clean it well after every firing, even if it's just one shot.

There's a lot of guys on this forum that make me look like an amatuer. Ask around, I'm sure somebody knows more about this than I do.

Ditto:

Plus:

I have several .357 Mags and a couple of .38 Specials.

If there is a difference in accuracy, It would take hundreds of test groups and a statistician to prove it.