PDA

View Full Version : .32s&w lee .311-100-2r

troy_mclure
12-19-2011, 01:21 AM
i have a black powder only h&r top break revolver in .32s&w.

i also have a lee .311-100-2r that drops right at .313.

i tried slugging with some of these, but it doesnt touch the bottom of the grooves(it catches the lands fine).

at 100gr(pure lead) its a bit too heavy for .32S&W(bp).

i was using this mould as a plinker in my '06 and .30wcf.

im willing to modify this mould to lighten it up.

any ideas on how to get a bit more width, and lighten it up some?

im thinking maybe fill the tip with j.b. weld to make a fp and take some weight off.

Mk42gunner
12-19-2011, 07:22 AM
I think the first thing I did would be to cast a few then use a file to modify some boolits. This will let you check the weight and shape before you do anything to the mold.

If the picture on Midsouth's website is correct: I would try cutting the base band and lower grease groove off to see what it weighs; I think it would be a lot easier to mill/file/cut the top of the mold down than to fill the cavity and expect it to stay filled.

As for increasing the diameter, you could try to beagle it. If that doesn't get you enough size, Lee molds are made of some pretty soft aluminum and should lap fairly easily.

I have attempted to lap a Lyman mould, it is taking a lot longer than I thought it would, but the aluminum one ought to go pretty fast.

Or you could wait for the 314-90-SWC to get back in stock and buy it new.

One thing about Lee molds, if you screw it up too bad you're only out ~$20.00.

Robert

woody1
12-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Got access to a drill press? Hollow point the boolit or better yet for black powder, hollow butt it. Should take off enough weight to suit you and mebe fill out the butt like the days of old. Beagling should get you plenty of diameter and is easy to do. Regards, WOody

evan price
12-21-2011, 05:09 AM
I have a couple of Iver Johnson Safety Hammerless 32 S&W top-break 2nd model revolvers, which are black powder. I load the Lee 311-93-1R bullet in 32 S&W cases with a tiny charge of 800-X I can't remember and so won't speculate (It's in my reloading notebook which is at home.) I use the boolits as-cast which is around .313-.314", tumble lube with ALOX, and seat them so the top lube groove is the roll crimp groove.
http://www.titanreloading.com/image/cache/data/Products/90308-600x600.jpg

Works fine and no problems to report.

You can fatten yours up by Beagling. Won't need much more than a thou or so.

troy_mclure
12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
well im lapping the mould out. then for now im just gonna chop off the nose to lighten it up some.