PDA

View Full Version : what type of lead to use for swaging

corey012778
12-19-2011, 01:19 AM
I am planning on getting into swaging this coming summer, (saving up for an new muzzleloader). I had a few question answered from an search, but the one I could not find was the type of lead to use. I am planning on getting the custom btsniper 40cal one step die.

thanks.

alfloyd
12-19-2011, 01:48 AM
Brian uses soft lead up to WW lead cast into cores or boolits. So that would
be 5 to 13 BNH hardness.

I make lead wire for my cores out of 6.5 BNH lead that I recovered from an indoor
22 LR shooting range.

Danar's says that his dies is made to use lead up to WW hardness - 13 BNH.

Hope that this helps.

Lafaun

BT Sniper
12-19-2011, 02:04 AM
As soft as possible is the best answer. This keeps stress on your equipment to a minimum. I do however like to use wheel weight alloy for my cores. Certainly don't go any harder, possibly even a mix of wheel weight alloy and pure lead would also work well. Really can't go wrong, soft lead expands and is easy on equipment but tends to bleed easier around the nose punch. Wheel weight cores also expand, maybe not as much but tend to be easier for people to get a hold of from tire shops. This is the fun thing about making your own, you can do all sorts of fun experiments.

Just let me know when your ready I'll be happy to get you alll set up.

Good shooting and Merry Christmas

BT

p.s. I like and recomend the 120 grain .356 cores for the 40 cal bullets.

DukeInFlorida
12-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Usually, when I cast cores for the swaged bullets, I don't pay as much attention to the alloy as I maybe should. I run whatever happens to be in the pot, regardless of what was in the pot on a prior cast core production run.

I'm probably getting some weight variation from lot to lot, but my gun doesn't seem to care. I'm not shooting any of the pistol bullets from far enough away to matter.

Reload3006
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Since you plan on using BTs dies he is probably the best person to answer your question. I use a lot of different Lead alloys. But in my "M" style dies I only use pure lead as harder lead will "and I kid you not" break your dies.
In my walnut hill dies I use harder alloy but dont use WW I am not entirely sure what is in WW but they dont like to flow very well. I have however used WW cut 75% with pure lead ... and trust me its still a chore to swage. You can really tell the difference when you pull that press handle what alloy your using.

corey012778
12-19-2011, 04:08 PM
thanks. now I know what I need to increase the supply for.

I will let you know bt,