PDA

View Full Version : Lead bullets and Glocks

Andrew Quigley
12-19-2011, 12:03 AM
I remember reading that Glock says don't use them in their guns. But have read others use them with no problem.
I was thinking about a Glock 26 for a CCW and for IDPA match. But I won't have a pistol I can't shoot cast bullets from or one I have to buy another barrel from. I have a Ruger LC9 and like the gun but the trigger leaves alot to be desired for head shots in competition.
Like to hear from those that have used lead bullets in theirs and how they have performed.
Oh, please don't post other gun options.;)

Roundnoser
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
OK, I have a Glock 22 RTF. I have a Wolf replacement barrel for it to shoot lead bullets, HOWEVER...I have shot lead out of the factory Glock barrel with great results...accurate! I'm using the Lee 401 - 175 TC mold (w/ the single lube groove).

You will get a wide range of opinions on this. Some say its OK to use lead, other say its OK to use lead but clean the barrel between sessions, and yet others so Don't use lead at all!

Here is what I did...I fired approx 10 rounds through the factory barrel, then inspected it. If it looked clean, i shot another 10 or 20 rounds and checked it again. -- I have fired up to 75 rounds before I got nervous. I ran a bore brush through it a couple of times, and was back in business! -- The aftermarket barrels (which you can buy used on sites like GlockTalk for about 80 bucks), eliminates all doubt....IMO.

thegreatdane
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=33855

Lots of discussion here.

Andrew Quigley
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
That is a great thread. Not sure why I didn't find it when I searched. Hmmmm? Thanks!!

Love Life
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I have a glock 26 and have shot a few thousand cast boolits out of the factory barrel. I will stop and clean the barrel every 200 rounds. Here is my recipe for success:

RCBS 115 gr RN
Lube: Speed green or Lotak Hard
Alloy: WDWW
Powder: HP-38
This gives me no leading.

I am now hoarding my speed green and lotak for use on file rounds and now lube my 9mm boolits with Thompon Blue Angel. To eliminate all issues I bought a 35 caliber PB checkmaker made by Pat Marlin. This allows me to gas check plain based boolits so now I don't have to put all the trial and error into finding a new combo for the 9mm.

Hope this helps.

69daytona
12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I shoot lead in my G 22 and have had no problems at all, I lean it after every session which is about every 200 rounds, also have a wolf barrel in 9mm and no problems shooting lead through it, have about 500 rounds through the wolf and haven't cleaned it yet. Just testing to see how far I can go before it does need cleaned from lead.

phonejack
12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Just spend $100 on a new Lone Wolf barrel and be done with it.

Love Life
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Just spend $100 on a new Lone Wolf barrel and be done with it.

I'm not really cool with spending $100 to shoot lead from my gun, and then have to put the money and effort into alloy, lube, sizing die experiments to get that boolit to shoot lead free in the new barrel. To each their own, but if you buy the replacement barrel you still have to figure out what it likes. The 9mm can be a handful when working with cast boolits.

If you want peace of mind then buy the new barrel.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2011, 04:13 PM
This subject has been beaten to death! Do a search and read all of the comments and then decide for yourself.

Randy

thegreatdane
12-20-2011, 04:32 PM
see above link.

WDWW works best. Can be done (within reason).

Treeman
12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Glock makes a great gun. Glock is full of bovine effluvia regarding cast bullets and handloads.