PDA

View Full Version : 458x2 and Cast Bullets

mould
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
After a lot of research, I wanted a 45 Caliber cast bullet, bolt action rifle. The 458x2 is not known as a good caliber for cast bullets. I liked that they can be built on a Mauser type action and cases can be made from any magnum case. Then I got one of my wild and crazy ideas. [why not use a 1 in 22' 45/70 barrel]. I built one on a Mauser vz24 action. Wow, did this work.
I was wanting to see how cast bullets would do. I purchased a Lee 500 Grain Gas check mould. I cast a bunch, scaled, sized and moly lubed and gas checked them in my Lyman lube sizer. I loaded them to the high end of the 45/70 Ruger #1 loads and headed to the range. Like a kid with a new toy, it got exciting. How do I say what happened in the right words! Very,very, exciting and impressive. It was so accurate I will not be changing that load. The gun is beyond compare. Cheap to shoot, accurate, and the recoil is not that bad, at least not to me. I could not ask for more. If you want see the full story on the build check out Building a 458x2 American (http://www.customriflegunsmith.net).

beagle
12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
They make great shooting rifles. I have one buiilt with a 22" Douglas 1-20" twist on a high number Springfield. Loads of 7mm Mag and 300 Win Mag cases around to make cases from. I've shot from 200 grain through 515 grainers through mine with good results.

For probably better results if you haven't done so, inside ream the necks to the depth of the bullet and you'll get less smoky cases and IMO, a little better accuracy./beagle