PDA

View Full Version : Walmart prices

Jim
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
I was in Wally World Sunday morning and went by the sporting goods section. They had 100 rd. boxes of Win. .45 ACP 230 FMJ for $26 and some change. I bought a box.
I've been researching various milsurp vendors looking at once fired brass and hoping to find some milsurp 230 FMJs. After calculating the best cost I could come up with including the shipping and my powder and primers, I figured out that 100 rds. would cost me just under the $26 and tax I paid Wally. And then I would have to tumble and resize the brass as well as sit down and load it. I think I'm going back to Wally World this weekend. I'll get free once fired brass in the deal, too!:roll:

Jim

Buckshot
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
................Good thinking! The only factory ammo I've bought since I can't remember when has been 22RF so I never seem to pay attention to the cost vs the components and shipping.

................Buckshot

dragonrider
02-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Back so long ago I hardly remember, I bought a Llama 45 ACP ***, first gun. I then bought a box of ammo for same. Haven't bought any loaded ammo since for anything. I got into reloading immediatly after unloading those fifty rounds and since have bought only components to roll my own. Not long afterward I got into casting and the rest, as they say, is history.

doc25
02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Sure if you buy once fired. The savings are in the brass. Load your own not counting the brass and you're ahead.

Jim
03-01-2007, 06:49 AM
Doc,
I agree having the brass to start with makes a huge difference. Problem is, I didn't have the brass to start with. I got a hunnerd rounds now, though!

Jim

Navahojoe
03-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I like free Brass. At the time I purchased both my .44 mag and .45 LC, I had ammo for neither. Money was tight from the revolver purchases, so, I bought ammo from local gun shop, had something to shoot, free once fired brass from my own revolvers and bought time for purchasing dies, primers, powder,molds, ect.. Did I say, I like the idea of free brass. Still make similar purchases when I find ammo on sale locally.
regards,

NavahoJoe

:castmine: so I can :Fire:

Crash_Corrigan
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I probably have over 3,500 cases in the calibre. I generally find them on the range. The swells here in Vegas must have cash to burn. I usually get 2 or 3 times the amount of range brass than I bring loaded to shoot. I have only found one split case in 5 years of shooting .45 acp. It was a nickle plate rd I found on the range. I clean them up and sort them out and load em with 4.0 gr or so of clays over a Lee 204 grn rn. I know it is supposed to be 230 gr but with the 60/40 solder and ww's I smelt I get a light but hard boolit for free. I generally shoot 200 to 400 rounds in an afternoon out of my Taurus 1911and my Ruger P 90 and I quit when I am out of time, ammo or my hand gets tired. I shoot reactive targets usually and not too much paper. I like the sound of clanging and banging and the sights of dust flying around. Paper is just too tame for me. I have not ever bought a round of commercial .45 ACP in my life. It is just too easy and much fun to load your own. Dan

Lloyd Smale
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
like crash said the real savings is in the brass and casting your own bullets

Jim
03-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I DO save brass. I got .30-06 brass that's headstamped "SEARS". And I most definetly cast my own. I just didn't have any .45 ACP brass at that particular moment, so I bought some live ammo. Since then, a friend gave me a coffee can full. I got brass now!

Ranch Dog
03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
I walked into WalMart to buy my hunters their non-resident licenses last week and they had three boxes of UMC 25 ACP sitting to the side. The corners were beat up but not bad and I asked about them. The sales lady said they had taken a fall and would be returned to the distributor as they where missing some rounds. I looked and only one box was missing three. I said how much, noting that those still on the shelf had a $15.98 sticker. She said $8/box so I bought all three and told her I would buy every box she had for that amount. She only sold me the three.

They keep teasing me with their on-line price of $429 for a new 444.... (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138488)