PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Ruger #1 in .357Magnum?

GLL
02-26-2007, 05:50 PM
I cannot find any information about this model. If anyone has an example I would like to hear from you and about your experiences with the gun.

Thanks,

Jerry

rockrat
02-26-2007, 06:07 PM
These were made as commemoratives for the California Highway Patrol. As I understand it, there were a few assembled with leftover parts that did not have the CHP rollstamp on them. I believe there was an article in The Fouling Shot by (I think) C.E. Harris. The person worked for Ruger at the time and related that the chamber was kind of like the 357 Mag. chamber in T/C guns with a real long throat and cast accuracy was so-so at best, although it worked well with J-boolits.
I picked one up a few months ago and immediately rechambered it to 357 max., but it has been so cold, and I have had other irons in the fire, so to speak, that I haven't had time to wring it out. Gotta cast some more 35-200's first.:-D

GLL
02-26-2007, 06:22 PM
rockrat:

Thank you for the quick response. I have a line on one that is not marked for the CHP.

Did you do the .357Max rechambering work yourself? This conversion is exactly what I am condsidering !

Jerry

rockrat
02-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Yup, did it all myself. Only trouble was taking the gun apart to do the job. Took alot longer to do that, as it had been awhile since I took one apart. I plan on trying the gun out with the standard reamer and if I do not get the results I think it should, I might send the reamer off to get reground with a bit of a throat and a smaller angle on the leade. There are those on the NEF website that rechamber the 357 mag guns , to max, and report excellent accuracy.