PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Break on Marlin

fishnbob
12-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I was looking at an older, presafety model 336 Marlin last night when the hammer failed to cock when the lever was operated. I had to reach under the exposed bolt and hold the hammer back to close the bolt and then the hammer fell. What do you think the problem is? Now the hammer won't cock at all.:?:

bearcove
12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Take it apart?

w30wcf
12-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Can you pull the hammer back ok but it won't stay cocked?

If so, push the trigger forward and see if it will stay cocked. If it does the spring needs to be replaced.

w30wcf

fishnbob
12-18-2011, 01:27 PM

If so, push the trigger forward and see if it will stay cocked. If it does the spring needs to be replaced.

w30wcf

Thanks, I'll try that. I don't think there was tension on the trigger.

fishnbob
12-18-2011, 08:50 PM

w30wcf

That is the problem. Thanks. Where can I get a spring and do I have to remove the stock to get to it. I don't have it where I can look at it right now, my son in law has it.

Jon K
12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Numrich...
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=407880A&catid=618

Jon

kelbro
12-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Could just be gunked up. I would try a good cleaning before I bought any parts.

excess650
12-19-2011, 08:51 AM
That is the problem. Thanks. Where can I get a spring and do I have to remove the stock to get to it. I don't have it where I can look at it right now, my son in law has it.

Yeah, you'll have to remove the buttstock to solve your issue. You'll need to remove the lower tang which involves removing the lever screw, lever, bolt (don't forget the ejector!) front and side screws that retain the lower tang. I don't remember which screw the lifter works from, but basically, you're going to do a near complete disassembly of the action. You're in luck as Marlins are MUCH simpler than a Win 94.

fishnbob
12-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, you'll have to remove the buttstock to solve your issue. You'll need to remove the lower tang which involves removing the lever screw, lever, bolt (don't forget the ejector!) front and side screws that retain the lower tang. I don't remember which screw the lifter works from, but basically, you're going to do a near complete disassembly of the action. You're in luck as Marlins are MUCH simpler than a Win 94.

Thank you all!

fishnbob
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Could just be gunked up. I would try a good cleaning before I bought any parts.

Thanks kelbro, that will be my 1st move.