PDA

View Full Version : LLA as a metal presertive

zuke
12-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I was thinking of using LLA thinned out as a metal presertive on 303 stripper clip's holding live ammo.
What's the opinion's on doing that?

Ben
12-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Should work just fine. The material ( as I understand it ) was made to protect metal from the elements . The navy at one point actually "mop painted" alox onto ships to prevent rust from the salty waters of our oceans.

fryboy
12-18-2011, 10:35 AM
ummm not allowed to use as it was originally designed for lolz jokin' aside ben pretty well nailed it and i'm pretty sure that a thin coat ( like we use for lube ) is all that would be needed ( as opposed to mopping it on )

richhodg66
12-18-2011, 10:41 AM
The stuff does seem to resemble cosmoline now that I think about it, I wonder if they're similar compounds?

Ziptar
12-18-2011, 10:48 AM
It's not allot different than the waxy rust proofing coating I find in the nooks and crannies when I'm working on my 22 year old Volkswagen. In fact I've got several pounds of pan lube experiment rejects that I'm saving for that exact purpose.

3006guns
12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
You know, that's a heck of a good idea! I have a lot of instruments, small tools, etc. for my shop with polished surfaces and storing them with an oil coating is a pain. Might be good for the polished handles of some of my lesser used machine tools too. I'm gonna try it.

Maven
12-18-2011, 11:06 AM
In the late '60's - early '80's, "Ziebart" and perhaps "Rusty Jones" as well, used something which smelled very much like Alox to prevent rusting in automobiles.

Rokkit Syinss
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Ziebart was in fact alox.

zomby woof
12-18-2011, 05:37 PM
There's a product called LPS3, it's a rust preservative, smells just like it. It leaves a sticky waxy finish.

zuke
12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Thank's for the tip's guy's!
Now I just gotta figure how far to cut it!

Maven
12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Ziebart was in fact alox.

We had a 1978 Datsun 510 rustproofed not long after we purchased it. I began reloading and casting 4 years later and remembered the NRA 50/50 lube smelled familiar. Now I know why!

Recluse
12-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I use LLA on my Lee mold steel parts/components since I store the molds in their original boxes when not in use. A light dab on the end of a Q-tip will pretty much put a nice protective coating on all the steel parts of the mold setup.

Have yet to get a spot of rust on any of them since I've been doing this, and some of those molds only get used maybe once ever year or even less.

If you use it like this, it's like Bullplate--less is more.

:coffee:

RayinNH
12-18-2011, 11:52 PM
When I finish cleaning my rifle's bore I use a patch coated with LLA to prevent rust. I figure it will also pre-lube the bore for the first shot on the next outing...Ray

MikeS
01-20-2012, 08:52 PM
LLA is in fact a rust preventative. Used to use it back when I was in the leather working machinery business. We used to spray it on our parts in their storage bins, and never had a problem with rust. We bought our company in the 1950's when United Shoe Machinery was broken up by the US Gov. for anti-trust violations, and the parts came with the storage shelving that USM had been using for many years, and in some of the bins there was almost an inch of hardened LLA! (of course it wasn't called LLA back then!) We got a few 5 gallon pails of LLA with the purchase of the company, and I think we had just about used up the last of it when we sold the company in 1998. I believe the ZEP company sells it, but I don't recall what they call it.

odfairfaxsub
01-20-2012, 08:56 PM
we use something that has a gov. mil standard for preservative and anti oxidant for electrical connections called a special. looks alot like a cake hardened alox that when melted and applyed looks alot like lee alox except not gummy

Horace
01-21-2012, 01:55 AM
CRC SP 400 is an alox "type " product smells the same works great protecting motor shafts in storage.
Horace

keyhole
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
I use LLA on my Lee mold steel parts/components since I store the molds in their original boxes when not in use. A light dab on the end of a Q-tip will pretty much put a nice protective coating on all the steel parts of the mold setup.
:

Recluse, what do you do to prepare the mold for casting? Any special technique to remove LLA before casting?

thanks

Keyhole

mdi
01-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Amsoil is a spray on metal protector that has been discussed as lube around here. I tried it on some .38 Spec. wadcutters (over a stiff W231 load), and it seemed to work.