PDA

View Full Version : ordered a new rifle yesterday

Lloyd Smale
12-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Ive had **** luck with my 257 wby vanguard. Its just not consistantly accurate and it copper fouls the barrel in 10 shots. I sent i back to wby and they said it met there standards and a 100 bucks later i had it back with nothing done. Yesterday i brought it to my local dealer and told him the story of it and put it on the shelf on consinement and ordered a new stainless flutted cdl in 257. Hopefully this one will do a bit better.

bobthenailer
12-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Years ago i had a custom rifle in 7mm mauser rebarreld to 257 Roberts Ackley Improved , I used a Douglas air guage barrel , which was there best barrel at the time at least . and i also had bad bullet jacket fowling after a few shots , I shot about 50 rounds of J bullets and cleand after every 10 shots but it never got any better . Douglas repaced the barrel at no charge but i sold the new barrel a contoured blank & dies to another person and made the rifle a 7mm rem mag with a Shilen match barrel , and sold my ruger m77 in 7 mag.

Nobade
12-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately I have found the 257 Wby to be consistantly one of the least accurate cartridges available. The SAAMI chamber design with its miles of freebore doesn't lend itself to stellar accuracy. I have built several dozen rifles in that caliber and I don't think any of them were what you would call really impressive. And Remington compounds the problem by their inability to cut a straight chamber so that little bullet doesn't have a fighting chance of hitting the rifling straight.

Now if you really have to have a rifle chambered for that cartridge and want it to shoot, chamber it with a throatless reamer and then throat it to fit whatever bullet you want to use. The problem there is you can't load it very hot and won't have anything faster than a normal 25-06, maybe even slower. And it won't be safe with factory ammo. But it will shoot accurately.

CLAYPOOL
12-19-2011, 01:35 AM
My .257 Whb. is very consistance. I have four grops covering a time span of all most 2 years and all are a lot smaller than 1". I shot them after thinking the gun and caliber caused the miss...The target showed me where the problem was and it wasn't the gun or caliber...

Brithunter
12-22-2011, 12:00 AM
An American friend had similar problems with a Weatherby and after trying the usual avenues of recourse he finally brought a Tubbs fire lapping kit and treated the barrel it now shoots fine.

Weatherby's after sales service leaves a lot to be desired.

DLCTEX
12-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Mine shoots better than I can and no fouling problems. The bore was smooth as glass when I got it. I really like it.