PDA

View Full Version : inletting tools, Which ones ?

greywuuf
12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Ok ,
Some of you know by now that I am trying to do some minor inleting to make a free stock fit a cheap action. I have never been good at or Done any woodworking to speak of, and have decided to try and learn something. I have decided to Dig out fire up and use the old forge and make some inletting chisels and I really only want to be out there the one time ( though I am sure as I progress or get frusterated I will return with more idea's ) SO recomend me about half a dozen MUST have tools ( shapes and sizes ) to make for a starter set. I have seen in print that I should have a skew , various width straights and some gouges.
Discuss:

Thanks
Dan

sbowers
12-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Dan I would reccomend that you look at the pictures of inletting tools and kind of calculate what width's and curvature gouges you think you will be useing as start from there. I bought alll of mine years ago and have added as i needed. Look at your action and that way you will have an idea of what tools you will need also the width of flats and the depth and curvature of the gouges, and be very very careful inletting and stock making can be very addictive.
Steve

gnoahhh
12-18-2011, 12:11 PM
I would make/acquire the tools you think you will need, and then get started inletting. Invariably you will find uses for shapes/sizes of chisels you didn't think of before starting out. Take the time to make/acquire them as needed, and by the time you're done you will have a pretty comprehensive set. I just don't see any other way around it short of buying one of everything under the sun- but then you'll inevitably have a lot of chisels you will never use and have wasted a bunch of money. JMO.

waksupi
12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Straight cut, and skew chisel, both about 3/8" cutting edge. A 1/4" straight. 1/4" curved gouge. Those three will cover 95+% of your needs.

greywuuf
12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you all. I will try to post some pictures of the tools and the results, though with the holidays upon us my wife is not so much in favor of taking a day to make a mess in the yard. it may be a few weeks before I get to this latest project.

Char-Gar
12-18-2011, 02:49 PM
About 1960 I picked a set of 4 wood carving chisels from Sears. Three of them have served me well. The straight skew, bent skew and gouge. I also have a a set of the Fisher scrapers that are very useful. I have inlet the entire barrel channel with nothing but these Fisher scrapers. It is the long hard way to do it, but not many chances for mistakes. About half way through the job I start wishing I had a barrel rasp, but say I will buy one for the next job, but I never do.

It takes me a couple of days to inlet a barrel with nothing but a round scraper and I sure couldn't do it that way, if I was charging for my time.

Mk42gunner
12-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I have made scrapers from old hacksaw blades, heat and shape as desired, a little bit of tape for a handle. They work suprisingly well.

Robert

Box13
12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I have found several wood carving chisel sets in hock shops and some of the buy,sell,trade places in the used tool section for pretty cheap prices.Although I really like the look and feel of hand made carving tools...Robin