View Full Version : How to carry a scoped BFR

Whiterabbit
12-18-2011, 02:48 AM
10", preferably.

I have a bandoleer holster for a nonscoped revolver and it worked OK, but the 3" cylinder made it a smidge top heavy. It's a non-starter now that I'm using an ultradot.

I'm looking at the bianchi HuSH holster but thought I'd ask folks here.

I don't need fast draw, just comfy for putting miles behind me. I've learned that under the shoulder isn't so comfy if it's cold and I need a jacket. Vertical-ish positioning seems best, and on the chest. Both hands must be free.

Other than that, no idea on products or working methods of carry by other folks.

------------------------
Suggestions:

Simply Rugged pancake style holster with chesty puller rig.
Diamond D Leather Guide's Choice chest rig.
Uncle Mikes #13.
Modified carry bag.
Muggers surprise purse (only for San Francisco) :)
Custom leather

saz
12-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Look into a Simply Rugged pancake style holster with the "chesty puller" rig. I have 2 of his holsters and I have used the chesty rig and IMHO it is VERY comfortable to carry, even with lots of clothes on underneath.

Lefty SRH
12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Also look at Diamond D Leather for their Guides Choice chest rig. I own 2 and they are outstanding!
http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

44man
12-18-2011, 10:09 AM
I am CHEAP---well, on SS, so I tend to buy cheap.
I called Uncle Mike's and was told they have nothing for the 10" BFR.
I bought the no. 13 shoulder holster for the Contender Super 14 and my 45-70 fits perfectly.
I do not notice it when walking.

crabo
12-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Put wheels on it?

44man
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
Put wheels on it?
WHEELS! It needs steam power! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Viper225
12-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I got this idea from Greg Richter over on the Handgun Hunter Forum.

Get a Boyt rectangular case for a Contender.
Sew 4 each 1" D's to the inside of the handles just far enough from the case body that the D's will come together front and back in pairs. Use 1" OD webbing to attach the D's.
Next find or make a sling. I am using one that is a carry strap for an MP5. If you have access to an Army Surplus store find a sleeping bag carrier. This webbing contraption has really good clips for the sling ends. Army Surplus will also have the 1" OD webbing. Make the strap long enough to carry the Case under your arm, with the strap across your chest like a muzzleloader possibles bag.

The end result is a padded case that totally encloses the handgun to protect it. If stalking leave it unzipped on one end for silent access to the BFR. It is great for stand hunting, as you are not banging your unprotected gun into anything getting in and out of a stand. If doing a crawl to get into a final firing position, you can slide the case on the ground like a sniperrifle drag bag.

You have to think outside the box a little to see how well this works. Give it a try, you probably need a nice case for it anyway.

Bob

subsonic
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
I got this idea from Greg Richter over on the Handgun Hunter Forum.

Get a Boyt rectangular case for a Contender.
Sew 4 each 1" D's to the inside of the handles just far enough from the case body that the D's will come together front and back in pairs. Use 1" OD webbing to attach the D's.
Next find or make a sling. I am using one that is a carry strap for an MP5. If you have access to an Army Surplus store find a sleeping bag carrier. This webbing contraption has really good clips for the sling ends. Army Surplus will also have the 1" OD webbing. Make the strap long enough to carry the Case under your arm, with the strap across your chest like a muzzleloader possibles bag.

The end result is a padded case that totally encloses the handgun to protect it. If stalking leave it unzipped on one end for silent access to the BFR. It is great for stand hunting, as you are not banging your unprotected gun into anything getting in and out of a stand. If doing a crawl to get into a final firing position, you can slide the case on the ground like a sniperrifle drag bag.

You have to think outside the box a little to see how well this works. Give it a try, you probably need a nice case for it anyway.

Bob

Pics? I'm having a hard time understanding what you're explaining. Sounds useful, but I just can't picture it.

Whiterabbit
12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
44man, my local shop has a #13. I thought it looked like it wouldn't fit a scope. it does?

44man
12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
44man, my local shop has a #13. I thought it looked like it wouldn't fit a scope. it does?
Yes, try it out. Maybe take your gun there and see.

subsonic
12-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Wife got a new purse. I might "borrow" it :bigsmyl2::kidding:
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/e2d02ea7.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/cd51650b.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/d4f2e116.jpg

"mugger's surprise"

tek4260
12-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Maybe you can get a holster like the one shown in the article here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Trijicon.htm

44man
12-20-2011, 12:48 AM
OOPS, the short cylinder BFR does not need such a long holster as the number 13. I use the 13 for the 10" 45-70.
For the short cylinders I use an old TC holster made for a scoped 10" contender. It has no number on it.
The gun will still fit the 13 though. It is just longer then needed.

Whiterabbit
12-20-2011, 01:26 AM
perfect for my needs, I mentioned 3" cylinder, so it's a longie :)

Frank
12-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Uncle Mikes works as suspenders too! [smilie=p: