PDA

View Full Version : Plated bullets for 30 Carbine?

fatelk
12-18-2011, 01:05 AM
OK, not a cast bullet question, but I haven't bought molds for my carbine yet.

I found a very good deal on a box of 500 .30 Carbine bullets- "Rainier Ballistics 30 caliber 110 gr. Total Copper Jacketed Round Nose 500 Swaged Bullets".

Though it says "copper jacketed" they are obviously just plated bullets. Inside the box is stamped a date from 1994, coincidentally about the same time I last tried plated bullets. I remember having neck-tension problems, and lousy accuracy.

I plan on working up a load when I get time, but thought I'd see if anyone knew if there was anything different I should try with plated bullets as compared to jacketed.

missionary5155
12-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Good morning
Back when we got our first carbine Army ammo and componets were everywhere very reasonable. But we got a Lee GCRN mould ( I forget the # but still made) anyway and cast our own. The 5 of us fired so many the gas piston is now so loose the carbine refuses to cycle (yes the gas port is open).
So do you need "plated"? Well no. But a good deal is a good deal. But I would still get a mould and not be tied to any supplier.
Mike in Peru

mooman76
12-18-2011, 11:58 AM
You can't push the plated bullets as hard as jacketed but the plated rifle bullets were suppose to be able to be pushed a little harder than the pistol ones. Not sure what they did. I assume they made the plating a little thicker maybe. Suppose to use cast bullet loads and with the carbine if you use the faster powders, it won't cycle. Slower powders work better. I've been wanting to get an try some myself but haven't yet.

higgins
12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
There's no way of knowing which bullets are what brand, but I've picked up a lot of plated pistol bullets that have hit the backstop dirt and gravel, been dented, mashed, and hit by other bullets and still not cracked the plated jacket. Seems like they would be OK for carbine use with full-power loads. Oddly, I have seen a few that were cut by the rifling. I don't know if it was a thin spot in the jacket or rough rifling. If you're carbine bore is the least bit rough that might be a consideration. You could shoot a few into water or wet newspaper and recover them and see what shape they're in.

fatelk
12-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I have been planning on buying the Lee 120gr carbine mold and a check maker, just haven't spent the money yet. A few short years ago I was buying military surplus carbine bullets for a nickel apiece, but those ran out long ago. Sure wish I had bought more.

I did a short search and found folks claiming that you can't shoot plated bullets faster than 1300 fps, wich would seem odd since I have no problem shooting plain base lead bullets faster than that. On the other hand the last time I tried plated carbine bullets years ago I just loaded them the same as FMJ and had plenty of trouble. As I recall, accuracy was very poor and neck tension was a problem. That's been a long time ago and I've learned a lot since then, so maybe I can make them work.

I just thought I'd see if anyone knew any special techniques for loading plated bullets. I'll just try some out next time I go to the range. I still have a bunch of WC820 carbine powder so thats the only thing I use.

mooman76
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
The plating on plated bullets won't really crack or at least not like a jacketed bullet. I smashed on flat with a hammer just to see what it would do and the plating stuck to it the whole time more like it was painted on or something. The lead is soft inside. You may or may not be able to use full power loads. I didn't state that because I don't know for sure. The carbine is a low pressure cartridge compared to other rifles so only loading will tell. It's the manufacturers sites that state how fast not to go beyond but that's more of a warning that you may strip the jacketing off, not really saying it can't be done. The rifle bullets I believe they stated max 1600 or 1700 fps. With these bullets they have no lube so basically the plating acts as a lube.

We know here that it pressure rather than speed that starts the leading and I believe it's the same with plated and since it isn't really practical to say it can withstand x amount of pressure because we can't as laymen measure that, they have to give us speed instead.

tacklebury
12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Haven't used them in .30 Carbine as I like Hornady's little 1/2 jacket soft point. I have many used in .38 specials though. They work good as long as you flare cases well, so as not to cut into them during insertion of the bullet into the case. Do a good job chamfering and flaring and you can push them ok. ;)

32/20Colt
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I normally shoot this style of bullet a lot in pistols. In pistols you usually load them like a good hard cast load. I have not tried plated bullets in rifles yet, but I would imagine you could run them in the previously posted (1400-1700 fps) range. I had heard at one time these 30 cal bullets were used with the Ruger Blackhawk and the T/C s for silhouette.

Keep us posted on your results.

fatelk
12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Well, they seem to work fine. I worked up a load over the chrono today, in the cold and between rain showers. My old standby charge of WC820 gives about 1900fps, just like it does with surplus FMJ. I only had 3 extra rounds to fire at the target, at 20 yards resting off the hood of my truck, but those three rounds made one cloverleaf hole. That's really as good as my old WWII typewriter gun (Underwood) will do.

Hopefully that's not a fluke, but it sure looks like for this caliber at least I can load them just like FMJ.

32/20Colt
01-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I will be looking for some to try myself. :D