PDA

View Full Version : Environmento-casting

sundog
02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
From time to time I have mentioned how much I like to cast on cool, damp or rainy days. (I also like RCBS moulds, but that's not what this thread is about.) It's about environmental conditions during the cast.

Saturday was very unsettled weather in here. Storms late Friday, early Saturday, with periods of torrential rain - came down in freaking buckets a few times. Big front moved through which eventaully spawned some tornados on east into Arkansas. I went to the range when it was calm after the storm (early Tulsa IAP was S1G7), but the wind picked up to S 25 g 40 from then SW then calm again, then hard blow from W. Then back S. Really screwed up. It was rather difficult to even sit at the bench without getting buffeted around, let alone stay on target. So much for a calm day shooting.

When I got home, I tried to cast some .22 boolits. "Tried" is the operative word here. Worked at it for a couple hours with 2 different moulds and got almost nothing! All went back into the pot. Quit for the day. Beer was cold.

Sunday afternoon I fired the pot up again and using a Ly 225646, a mould I had tried using the previous day, and I cast for 3 hours straight and got a right tidy pile of pretty darn good boolits. Nothing changed except the weather. It was fair, temp about the same (mid 50s), but the atmosphere was much more settled, but still a bit windy, but steady. I have no idea what the pressure or humidity was either day. This I do know. Some days are just NOT good for casting. Just thought I'd ramble a bit.... Have I ever mentioned that I like RCBS moulds? sundog

357maximum
02-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Quit for the day. Beer was cold.

Sunday afternoon I fired the pot up again and using a Ly 225646, a mould I had tried using the previous day, and I cast for 3 hours straight and got a right tidy pile of pretty darn good boolits. Nothing changed except the weather. It was fair, temp about the same (mid 50s), but the atmosphere was much more settled, but still a bit windy, but steady. I have no idea what the pressure or humidity was either day. This I do know. Some days are just NOT good for casting. Just thought I'd ramble a bit.... Have I ever mentioned that I like RCBS moulds? sundog

Maybe the brew from the day previous was/is the answer to the riddle???

I do not know about making lead flow better, but I do know folks who claim it makes them smarter[smilie=1:

I have a barometer for fishing, but never realized it may play a role in casting, have to look into that:veryconfu ....I sure would like carpetmans take on the weather and casting quality. I am sure the barometer has some effect on sheep too....:mrgreen:

dragonrider
02-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Do you cast indoors or out? Outside in weather you described may make a difference with all the humidity moving around. Just my .02

Boz330
02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Some Days things just turn to excrement. Fact of life. On the other hand everything goes better with beer.:mrgreen: Not necessarily at the same time though.

Bob

Dale53
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I will admit that very occasionally, I can't cast worth a darn. It VERY seldom happens, but happen it does. I cast indoors in a utility outbuilding that is heated and has A/C (dedicated casting area). I consider myself an excellent caster and have cast more bullets than I want to think about. My revolvers shoot under 1" at 25 yards, my Schuetzen rifle is a half minute rifle, and my BPCR is a minute rifle. So, I know how to cast bullets and still, I have had those times when things are not going well. When it happens, I just quit until the next day and call it Voodoo!!:???: :???:

I bet it doesn't happen more than once in twenty five times or so....Maybe there IS something to that barometer effect...

Dale53

S.R.Custom
02-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Some Days things just turn to excrement. Fact of life. On the other hand everything goes better with beer.:mrgreen: Not necessarily at the same time though.

Absolutely. Some days you might be a little tired, the judgement off a bit... and it's especially true with regards to things that require "feel," and bullet casting is one of 'em. Sometimes it pays to just walk away and come back later.

wills
02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Absolutely. Some days you might be a little tired, the judgement off a bit... and it's especially true with regards to things that require "feel,"... Sometimes it pays to just walk away and come back later.

And if you dont believe him, ask Zumbo.

Goatlips
02-27-2007, 01:29 AM
[QUOTE=357maximum;154372]

Maybe the brew from the day previous was/is the answer to the riddle???
I do not know about making lead flow better, but I do know folks who claim it makes them smarter[smilie=1:

QUOTE]
Well, it made Bud wiser... [smilie=1:

Goatlips