PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt

94Doug
12-17-2011, 08:05 PM
A reader asked a question about Split cases in his 45 Colt in Handloader. Before I read the end of the question, I knew they would point out the generous dimensions of the revolvers, etc...but they then said the best solution was to buy a new cylinder and have the revolver converted to another caliber, or something. Why wouldn't they just have the guy write his die manufacturer for an adjustment? Couldn't that be done at a much lower cost, or maybe free? Just wonderin'

Doug

9.3X62AL
12-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I haven't split any 45 Colt cases in my BisHawk (yet), but the RCBS T/C sizer dies REALLY reduces the base diameter over-much.....to about .469". Earlier this year I obtained a steel sizer for the 45 Colt, and have not yet had time to shoot my ammo off and see what differences occur after sizing. That narrow-gauge T/C die might do for 45 ACP loading.

leadman
12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
I had a Blackhawk with an overly generously sized cylinder and neck sized the cases for it. Fortunately all the chambers were pretty close in size.
I think the reader was told to buy a cylinder with smaller chambers from a 44 or something and have them reamed to 45. Gunsmiths have been doing this for a long time.

Ziptar
12-18-2011, 12:03 PM
I've fired and reloaded a couple thousand .45 Colt rounds in my Marlin 1894 now. If there was ever a generous chamber out there for the .45 colt the Marlin is it.

I've had 1 brass case split so far, hard to say why or how many times it'd been fired before then. I've yet to buy any new brass, out of the 800 or so I have maybe 200 came from new factory ammo, the majority of it is used stuff that I've picked up, traded for, or bought here and there.

I have had 5 out of hundred once fired Remington Nickel Cases that were given to me split on me . I've read that it's a problem specific to Remington nickel plated brass and maybe only certain batches. I am inclined to agree as I had 3 split just going through the sizing die before I'd even fired them and the other two on the first reload.

I full length size with a Lee Carbide Die. I've never compared the size of freshly sized cases to those fired in the Marlin, maybe I should in light of this thread and just for S**ts & Giggles.

It's not anything I'd loose sleep over. I think some people have problems with split cases because of how they crimp. Too heavy a crimp especially with a Lee Pistol Factory Crimp die will tear up and weaken the case mouth and maybe even make a small fracture and thats all it would take.

btroj
12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
My Marlin 1894 CB has a huge chamber. I get split cases after 7 to 10 reloads. I have learned to just live with it. Brass isn't that expensive and I jut don't want to deal with lubing cases for a steel die. My Hornady and RCBS carbide dies both over size the case. I need to readjust them so they are only sizing the portion of the case that grips the bullet.

Char-Gar
12-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Big fat hog wallow chambers are nothing new for 45 Colt sixguns. Colt had some whoppers as well as Ruger.

The newer steel and carbide FL dies, make the situation worse as they really squeeze the brass down. Split cases are all to common with the large chambers and oversized/ too small brass.

The older steel dies size cases much less. I have a steel RCBS die from the 50's and is produces ammo the same spec as factory ammo. The brass is worked much less.

My new Ruger Lipsey's 45 Flatop has chambers of proper specs and are not nearly as large as earlier Ruger pistols.

Combine the old die, the new Flatop cylinder and the 45 Colt world is rosie. Throw in the .452 cylinder throat in the Flatop and things don't get any barrel. The iceing on the cake is Ruger seems to have learned to make high quality barrels and the barrel on this pistol is uniform in dimension and slick as a whistle. No leading to be found.

I am happy!

44man
12-18-2011, 04:22 PM
I never had a problem and I would attribute brass failure to the brass only.
MY SBH has large chambers and some of my brass has been shot 40 times.
My Vaquero also has large chambers and I never split a case.
Once in a while I will split brass but it is at the very first shot from it.
My tight chambers in my BFR .475 has had the first shot split a new case but never again.
Don't spend money not needed! 99.9% of the time, your gun is OK.

longhorn
12-18-2011, 09:37 PM
I think Elmer Keith once wrote that for reliability, rounds should rattle just a little when you shook a revolver-but they don't rattle in either of my .454's. Maybe Ruger is tightening up their specs a little based on their SRH in .454 experience.

stubshaft
12-18-2011, 11:08 PM
I agree with 44man, the only splits I've had were the result of bad brass.

Tar Heel
12-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I never had a problem and I would attribute brass failure to the brass only.
MY SBH has large chambers and some of my brass has been shot 40 times.
My Vaquero also has large chambers and I never split a case.
Once in a while I will split brass but it is at the very first shot from it.
My tight chambers in my BFR .475 has had the first shot split a new case but never again.
Don't spend money not needed! 99.9% of the time, your gun is OK.

Agree. Been loading for over 30 years and had ONE split case on a 357 mag when resizing it.

rintinglen
12-19-2011, 02:50 AM
bad brass leads to split cases. I ordered 500 9 mm Largo cases from starline and had over 50% split in first firing. Now I use 38 super brass and turn down the rims==its a bit short, but with a fat cast boolit seated out to touch the rifling, It shoots okay.

willyboy
12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I have a conversion cylinder in one of my sixguns and it splits factory ammo's cases.

tek4260
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0347.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0346.jpg

I've split a few 44 cases lately, but they still shoot pretty decent. They get pitched as they are found. They seem to split when seating and crimping as seen in the 2nd picture. I have no idea how many times they were fired.

btroj
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
His is definitely a case of overly large chambers and very tight size dies. I will have to measure later but I wouldn't be at all amazed to find that the brass grows/ shrinks with each fire/size cycle by over 25 thousandths.
I rarely lose a case in 44 mag or 357 yet lose many more 45 Colt after they hit 7 to 10 firings. Split is almost the entire length of the case and they split upon firing.
After bullet seating the case has a waist in it. Larger at the bullet and head, much smaller in the mid section. Thisis the only cartridge I have ever loaded that had this look.

45 Colt cha,bets and dies are not like any other situation. The mismatch between chamber and dies is huge.

44man
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
His is definitely a case of overly large chambers and very tight size dies. I will have to measure later but I wouldn't be at all amazed to find that the brass grows/ shrinks with each fire/size cycle by over 25 thousandths.
I rarely lose a case in 44 mag or 357 yet lose many more 45 Colt after they hit 7 to 10 firings. Split is almost the entire length of the case and they split upon firing.
After bullet seating the case has a waist in it. Larger at the bullet and head, much smaller in the mid section. Thisis the only cartridge I have ever loaded that had this look.

45 Colt cha,bets and dies are not like any other situation. The mismatch between chamber and dies is huge.
HEE, HEE, ALL of my loads look like the snake that tried to swallow the gater! :drinks:

tek4260
12-19-2011, 09:10 AM
HEE, HEE, ALL of my loads look like the snake that tried to swallow the gater! :drinks:

And they all shoot great too I'd bet. That tension is why I get away with such a minimal crimp.

btroj
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I love neck tension as much as the next guy. I am talking about a snake with a wasp waist. I will have to post a photo to show what I am talking about.

nicholst55
12-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I love neck tension as much as the next guy. I am talking about a snake with a wasp waist. I will have to post a photo to show what I am talking about.

I have a set of Lyman .357 dies that leave me with coke-bottle shaped ammo. I think it's about time for a new sizing die. I've only been using that one for about 30 years...

Tar Heel
12-19-2011, 09:46 AM
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0347.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0346.jpg

I've split a few 44 cases lately, but they still shoot pretty decent. They get pitched as they are found. They seem to split when seating and crimping as seen in the 2nd picture. I have no idea how many times they were fired.

Are you flaring the case mouth? From the picture, I can't see any flare on the mouth to ease the bullet in.

44man
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
A friend brought his 45-70 out and he had all kinds of CA factory loads. Some actually had Starline brass.
The brass called A-Merc was solid junk. Every single case split when I tried to size them. The whole pile is in my scrap bag. Accuracy was also very poor, I throw rocks better! :holysheep

pmer
12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I allways attributed split cases to new brass like maybe a scratch in the inside of the case from manufacturing it. But these splits go down the whole side of the case and are easy to spot after firing. To me those pictures just show work hardening and can happen to any case.

My Rossi 92 45 LC has a bigger chamber than my Blackhawk 45 Colt.