PDA

View Full Version : CVA Hawken

tomme boy
12-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I found a cva hawkens at a gun show a while back that has a barrel that someone did not clean. I tried to clean it up, but I think it is going to be a problem. I would like to get another barrel for it. I see Greem mountain has barrels for the Hawkens and was wondering if anyone knew if it would fit the CVA? The breech tang looks differant than the CVA. It looks like a T/C one. Or would getting ahold of Deer Creek Products be the better way to go?

frontier gander
12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
No they will not work.

You'll have to order from deer creek. Just make sure if its the 15/16" or the 1" barrel.

mooman76
12-17-2011, 08:15 PM
You might try some auction sites. They sell barrels there sometimes.

corey012778
12-17-2011, 10:31 PM
No they will not work.

You'll have to order from deer creek. Just make sure if its the 15/16" or the 1" barrel.

+1 on the barrels from deer creek. I bought one from them about 2 or 3 years ago. cost me about $120 or so including shipping. may be more now.

grabbing an barrel on action sites is really an fight.

izzyjoe
12-18-2011, 12:58 PM
i think Green Mtn. sell barrel blanks, you could do you own up.

swheeler
12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
There are a couple Deer Creek CVA barrels on Ebay right now, 112.00 plus 15.00 shipping. The ones listed are for mountain rifles though, I think a call to them would be in order.

mooman76
12-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I saw a couple CVA Hawkin barrels on ebay. It actually might be better to buy a good used ML than to put allot of money into this one but of coarse it is your call. You can usually find one for around a little over $100. Finish cleaning it up and see how it shoots, it might surprise you. We have heard of allot of folks doing the same as you and being surprised at the results.

tomme boy
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
OK, this is what I did last nite. I took a patch and put some oil on it. I then put some valve laping paste on the patch. I put the barrel on my wood blocks and put it in the vice. I ran the patch up and down the barrel for about 30 strokes. The more I did this the smoother it felt. I did this 8 times. I then sprayed oil down the barrel and I wiped it out with clean patches. The first two patches were tore to sreads after about 10 strokes. The rest just kept getting smoother.

I looked down the barrel and it actually had a good shine to it now! So I thought I could get it a little better. I took a 370gr maxi and put some bore butter on it. Then I smeared some more lapping compound on the bullet. I ran this down the barrel and gave it about 5 hard smacks on the bottom. I wanted it to completly fill the bore. I then ran my ram rod down and screwed in the bullet puller bit to the bullet. I ran the bullet up and down the barrela few times. I then pulled it out and gave it more compound. I ran it up and down about 30 times and added more grease and compound. I did this 5 times. When I cleaned it all out of the barrel, it looked really good. It shines really good. There is still some heavey pitting at the muzzle end about the last 1.5". The last thing I did was to run 5 patches of JB Bore Paste to try to polish it up a little more.

Well today I went to the range to see what it would do.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/tommeboy/IMG_1174.jpg

This was at 65yds. I think I am going to just keep it the way it is. 60gr 3f Diamondback.

One thing I really need to know about the CVA rifles. The bolster that the nipple screw into. Can this be replaced? I think there is a sealing problem with the one on the rifle. It is blowing out powder when you shoot it. I always wear saftey glasses when shooting ML's. I just felt powder hit me in the face when I shot it. I don't want to pull it out until I know I can get a new one. The screw on the side is really mangled up, so it will have to be replaced as well.

docone31
12-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Can you take a photo of the bolster issue?
If it is nipple threads, you can retap to 1/4 28. It might just need a new nipple also.
One of the first things I did was to replace the screw with an Allen screw on the drum. It was a 5mm.
That is a pretty strong unit. They are also great shooters. They are Douglas barrels.
Try a new nipple first though. They are 6 X 1. I like the Ampco nipples. I get better sealing.
I have taken a R.E.A.L. and used lapping compound as lube for a couple of shots.
I also got my bore cleaned up real well. The rifle had sat for 20yrs without cleaning. The previous owner used Pyrodex, which is more corrosive than Black Powder if let sit.
Ours is a keeper.

tomme boy
12-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I have it cleaned up already. So pics will not show anything. When I pulled the nipple it had heavy rust in the threads. I took a thread file to it and cleaned up the threads on the nipple. It seemed to have a rough spot as it was screwd in. It would get tight in a certain spot. If it can be re tapped, I have a bottoming tap in 1/4 28. I also have a new Hot Shot nipple in 1/4 28. The powder was all over the top and barrel by the bolster. It was on the stock and the lock. It could be the tight spot where the nipple pulled out the rust when I backed it out to clean it. That might be the place it is coming out at.

Oh, ya. the bottom target is my T/C.

mooman76
12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
If I am understanding you correctly you are talking about the powder drum and yes they are replaceable. I would try a new nipple first. They get worn out after awhile and need replacing especially the original ones. I like uncle mikes hot shot nipples myself. The hole in the nipple gets enlarged after time and and back pressure comes out through it. Glad things worked out for you and sounds like you have a new toy that was fairly cheap.

tomme boy
12-18-2011, 11:20 PM
What is really sad is this thing looks brand new. Just the inside looks bad. It looks night and day better now. The brass is getting that dull look from age. But no green to it. Just dull. I actually like it that way. I have $50 in this. So I am not out anything. Seeing what these go for on Ebay just for the stock, I think I did reel well.

tomme boy
12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I sent an email off to Track of the Wolf about a new powder drum and they replied right back to me. Holy Cow! 10:45 at night on a Sunday!

They said that the way CVA has their breech plug, the drum locks the breech and it is timed to the channel. They said it is a factory job. So, has anyone here done one and can explain a little more. I am very capable to do this, I just need to know what is involved. Thanks, Tom.

docone31
12-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Dave is really fast at TOW.
Replacing that drum is an ordeal. You would essentially have to remove the bolster/breech plug. They are screwed into the barrel with the breech plug, there is a chamber inside the breech plug.
With most black powder rifles, you can easily replace the drum. Not so with these. You will effectively be removing the back end of the barrel. Might just as well replace it with a new plug and drum. Make it period.
You will end up snapping the drum, then cutting off the end of the barrel, replacing the plug/bolster. Might as well go with a new one with that. You will also have to move the tenons, and cut 1" of rib off.
They are a good shooter. It would be worth it, but a lot of work vs making a new one.
I would look to the nipple threads there. Or go with a larger tap size.

Another way,
CVA rifles were made with a "blank" drum that threads into the barrel but has a tapered "cone" that intersects with the breech plug, locking it in. Once this is installed the nipple hole is drilled and threaded, and a hole is bored into the breech plug through into the drum (down through the barrel), connecting to the flash hold drilled under the nipple. It sounds complicated, but is very strong and is easier and cheaper than installing a patent breech. Installing a pre-made drum does not guarantee that all the channels line up. I have attempted drum relpacement on several CVA rifles and a few of them lined up sort of OK. The others were way off. Withthose it was esier to cut off the barrel at the breech face and re-thread and install a patent breech plug. It sounds as you got lucky--keep up the good work!

tomme boy
12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I ran the tap in last night. The hole was wallowed out. The 1/4 28 looks like it cleaned it up pretty good. The old one wobbled around as I was taking it out. The new one feels much better. Nice an tight. Pretty sure now that's were the powder was coming from.

12-19-2011, 01:56 PM
If you are looking to rehab a bad barrel, I would seriously think about letting Bob Hoyt rebore it or install a liner for you. His work is top shelf and way cheaper than a new barrel. If you let him do it, you can choose what rate of twist you want for whatever type of boolit you want to shoot. Get a conical twist if you shoot conicals, or a round ball twist if you shoot RB's. Better than the usual "compromise" twist factory guns come with.