PDA

View Full Version : Plainsfield M1 Carbine value

Firebricker
12-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I did a search and found out some info on these seems the first ones were manufactured with surplus parts. The later models were with new parts not as well made. The carbine I'm looking at is in pretty good shape not sure when it was made.

I've read the post war carbines are not as durable or expensive as original ones. Can anyone give me a ballpark value on one of these in about 75 to 80 percent condition ? Sorry I can't get a pic posted right now I'm sure that would make it easier.
Thank's in advance, FB

leadhead
12-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't waste my dollars on a after market carbine.
There almost as pricy as a WW2 one, and will never be
as collectable as the real deal. If you really want to feel
the pride of ownership, buy a GI. Just my opinon.
Denny

GT27
12-17-2011, 08:09 PM
I've got a Underwood I bought 25 years ago for $189.00 ,great shape,shoots Bueno',but have no idea what its worth either,good luck! GT27

perotter
12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Here in MN they go for $400-450. That's at the gun shows.

12-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Believe it or not, we used the Plainfield M1 as our primary entry rifle back in the '70's & '80's. The commissioner carried a real one in Korea and thought the M1 was just dandy and made us deploy with them. Over the course of an entire year, I kept detailed records as to the number and type of failures we encountered during our monthly range requals. With literally thousands of rounds fired during the year, the long and short of it was a failure rate of 1 out of every 8 rounds fired caused a failure. Needless to say,we all grabbed for the 870's first when it was time to go to work. (My report made me a leper to the administration but soon after we got M-16's.) It's your choice but that was my experience with the Plainfield.

ronbo
12-17-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a Iver Johnson Plainfield carbine with a sliding wire stock , the receiver, barrel and stock are plainfield the remaining GI parts. Have had it for about 25 years and paid $150 for it, is a good hard cast bullet shooter and quality is good on this one.

Firebricker
12-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank's for the replies. This is from I friend at work we are in $350-$400 range for the Plainfield, 9-20 round magazine's, 1-30 round magazine, and aprox 400 loaded rounds on stripper clips about 50/50 factory and reloads plus ammo can and soft sided gun case. Naturally I'm at $350 he's at $400 sounds like we are in the ballpark though. Thanks, FB

Mk42gunner
12-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, get him to throw in the dies and shellholder too.

Robert

3006guns
12-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Plainfield really dropped the ball on their later carbines. Once the supply of good, dependable G.I. parts dried up they could have had new forged ones made. They got cheap and the gun's reliability and reputation suffered.

I have one of the later Plainfields with the stamped slide that everyone talks about. If your buddy's is that type examine the slot that engages the bolt lug...it's right on the outside. If there's any sign of a crack don't buy it as there are no spares available and welding is your only option, which may or may not hold. So far, no problems with mine except that it's fussy about magazines. Some of my mags feed perfectly and others won't even allow the first round to be stripped off. This isn't really the mag's fault....seems the release button won't fully seat sometimes. Since it's a diecast trigger group, doing repairs might be chancy at best.

I like the little gun (it was a gift from a well meaning friend) but to be honest with you I'd put that purchase price towards an original G.I. carbine with proven STEEL parts and a good bore. I've owned them in the past and they always go "bang".

Edit: WHOA, disregard! I had my head screwed on backwards this morning.......I have a UNIVERSAL carbine, not a Plainfield and I was addressing my remarks to the former. From what I can find out the Plainfield actually has a decent reputation.

n.h.schmidt
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I have a Plainfield carbine. I bought it in the mid 70's. I'ts always been a good rifle fore me. More accurate than any other carbine I have seen.It will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds with most loads. Almost no jams either. I think some have it confused with the Universal carbine.I did have one of those too. That was not so good. There have been five makers of after market carbines. Universal,Plainfield, Iver Jonson, Federal Ordnance and one being made now that I don't know the name of.
n.h.schmidt

gew98
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Plainfield Machine Co. NJ made M1 carbines are all way way post WW2 made junk. The very first M1 carbine I got from one of my dad's friends was a plainfield he bought back in 1968. Glad I got rid of that junker when I did.