PDA

View Full Version : LEE Bulge Buster 40&W Any users?????

44 WCF
12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Has anyone used the Lee Bulge Buster, in particular on 40 S&W cases. Was getting ready to order the Redding but saw af for the LEE this morning and for no more than I'll use it I could lay in $50.00 worth of powder and primers.

My experience with Lee products has beern very favorable, but this is huge price differnece, I might be missing a very important feature the Redding has that I'm missing.

Any experience would be appreciated.

44 WCF

WDS
12-17-2011, 07:18 PM
I have a Lee 40 S&W bulge buster. It does what it is supposed to do. Initially, the cases hung up on the plastic reservoir after popping out of the die. After beveling the lip of the reservoir, the problem ceased to be an issue. This thing also works for other calibers as long as you have the Lee factory crimping dies for them.

M4bushy
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Like WDS said, you need to buy the bulge buster and the factory crimp die. I use one and it works fine. I have never tried the redding so I can't compare the two.

Johnch
12-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I use one
I broke the plastic container
So I put a 2' section of plastic gutter ( hole in the bottom for the die ) with a end cap
On top of the die
It drains into a cardboard box

The brass kept stacking to high
So I took a piece of plastic and made a deflector to knock the stack over as it emerges from the die

John

garym1a2
12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
What works really well with this kit is the plastic case feeder tube from the loadmaster.

I use one
I broke the plastic container
So I put a 2' section of plastic gutter ( hole in the bottom for the die ) with a end cap
On top of the die
It drains into a cardboard box

The brass kept stacking to high
So I took a piece of plastic and made a deflector to knock the stack over as it emerges from the die

John

44 WCF
12-19-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm missing something and i've checked the website a dozen times,,what part does FCF play in using the bulge buster.......I know I have to be missing the trees for the forest..........

Johnch
12-19-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm missing something and i've checked the website a dozen times,,what part does FCF play in using the bulge buster.......I know I have to be missing the trees for the forest..........

You take the gutts out of the FCD
And push the 40 S&W case straight through

They give you a case push rod , it is nothing more than the rod supplyed with a Lee boolit sizing die

If you can make the push rod and have a FCD
You can fake the rest

John

WDS
12-19-2011, 09:56 PM
When a case is fired in a barrel that does not fully support (enclose) the case, a bulge is created in the side of the case where it was allowed to expand. If you do not remove the bulge, you may find that the case may not completely chamber when the bulge contacts the supported parts of the firing chamber. There may also be an issue regarding the safety of a bulged case if the bulge happens to align itself with the unsupported section of the barrel. The case will only expand so far without a failure. (And that could be very bad for your gun and your health)

Ronbo256
12-19-2011, 11:36 PM
I use the lee bulge buster in .40 smith, I run the cases thru it after tumbling and before putting them in the progressive for stuffing with primer's powder and lead. I stay away from using the factory crimp part, and running the loaded rounds through the bulge buster, I've done it in the past when I shot J-word bullets, and I've tried it with the cast boolits I use now, it can squish down the driving bands. If nothing else, it makes it easy to find the cases with too much "guppy belly" to use.

W.R.Buchanan
12-20-2011, 03:34 PM
44WCF: You get the Lee FCD with the carbide insert, and remove the crimping sleeve and nut and push the cases thru the die mouth first. The little pusher is supplied with the Bulge Buster Kit.

DO NOT buy the Redding dies. The cheap one is $35 and it is not carbide so you have to lube cases. The carbide one is $65!

The Lee die is about $10 if you buy it separately form a die set, and the Bulge Buster kit is about $20

Call Dennis at www.titanreloading.com for the parts. He is the best Lee dealer to deal with.

Randy

7of7
12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
I have and use the bulge buster for sizing my 40's and 45's. They both work great.. I then load them up, in the progressive, which also has a carbide size die. (only because I had it first)
I took a 2" piece of clear plastic tubing, and cut a hole in it closer to one end, and the other drops the bullets, and brass, (I have the push through bullet size dies too) into a box on the bench..

44 WCF
12-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Ahhh, I misread the Lee website, and I thought the FCD and the Bulge Buster Die were two separate dies that had to be used, one after the other.
W.R. Buchanan realized my error and got me straightened out,
I've used the pusher from my .401 lube die,,,,What advantage does the kit set up have over the lube die pusher.

Thanks W.R. Buchanan
44 WCF

GBertolet
12-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I have the Redding steel GRX die. I got it when they first came out. Steel was all they offered back then. It works great, but you do have to lube the cases. I just dump a handfull of cases in a plastic tub and give them a shot of spray case lube, roll them around and start sizing. Made a bucket of scrap .40 brass into good brass.

rodsvet
12-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I have both the Redding [steel] and the Lee FCD for 40 cal. The Lee works but the Redding feels better to me even though you do have to lube them first. Both work well and saves a lot of brass. Just my .02, Rod

Justinsaneok
01-26-2012, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133369&highlight=GRX+die
I'd get the BB ot the steel GRX if so inclined.

Justinsaneok
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
44WCF: You get the Lee FCD with the carbide insert, and remove the crimping sleeve and nut and push the cases thru the die mouth first. The little pusher is supplied with the Bulge Buster Kit.

DO NOT buy the Redding dies. The cheap one is $35 and it is not carbide so you have to lube cases. The carbide one is $65!

The Lee die is about $10 if you buy it separately form a die set, and the Bulge Buster kit is about $20

Call Dennis at www.titanreloading.com for the parts. He is the best Lee dealer to deal with.

Randy

I got to say I'm with you on this. :groner:

jimkim
01-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I just use the LCD with a punch from one of my push through dies. I was thinking about buying plastic tubing and sliding it on the top of the die and using it to feed sized cases into a coffee can.