PDA

View Full Version : Tumbler "fixed"....sort of....

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 01:03 PM
This weekend I decided to take my tumbler apart and see what the problem might be. Just for grins I turned it on to see if it would start....nothing but a low hum from the motor. I turned it over and happened to reach down and tap the fan blades.....it sprung into action and began vibrating!!!!!

I was able to process nearly a 5 gallon pail of brass this weekend with it. It "seized" up once and when I tapped the fan blades it started right up. I suppose I have been "warned" that it is about to die. I will run it for as long as it will go and try to find a new motor in the meantime. Though, I did see that through today Harbor Freight has a new Chicago brand vibratory tumbler for $40. Might not hurt to have a cheap spare.....

KCSO
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
You might try lubing the bushings in the motor. I put 2 drops of clp on mine every 8 hours and this has kept in going for an extra 2 years.

imashooter2
02-26-2007, 01:31 PM
If it seizes while you aren't there, could it overheat and catch on fire? Seems risky...

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
No, last time after I had emptied it it siezed and would not start when I next went to run some brass. It runs fine once it is started.

seagiant
02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Lawyerman I would bet a dollar to a donut that you have a "brush " problem. Brushes are on each side of the rotor and transfer power. They are made of carbon and spring loaded. If the motor can be removed you should be able to take it to a motor repair and have these replaced and or get them to order a new motor. A lot of times these things are generic anyway! Good luck!

dragonrider
02-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Get some numbers off the motor and try to find it here
www.surpluscenter.com

pumpguy
02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Lawyerman, Be careful using the tumbler from Harbor Freight. I bought one as a back up to my old tried but true Midway. The first time I used it, it fell apart and left corn cobs and brass all over the garage floor. If you do get one, you should at the very least take it apart and locktite the threads that hold the bowl to the base. I noticed that Midway has their new version in their March flyer for $39.99.

fourarmed
02-26-2007, 04:57 PM
My Lyman 1200 quit some years back, and I took it to the electronics repair guy at work to have him check the motor. When I came back, it was working fine. He had taken out the rotor and cleaned out a large amound of rouge. At that time I was using rouge-impregnated walnut hulls as medium. That was over 10 years ago, and it is still running fine. I use plain walnut hulls now.

nelson133
02-27-2007, 07:03 AM
+1 on avoiding the Harbor Freight tumbler. They get a lot of my money, but when I bought the tumbler it broke within 2 months and I took it back. Bought one from Midway and haven't looked back.

1hole
02-27-2007, 08:08 PM
All of the tumbler motors I've seen are induction, not universal, so there are no brushes. Most also have bronze sleeve bushing-bearings that slowly dry out and eventually seize the shaft. A GOOD grade of machine or gun oil that is non-gumming is best to keep things going - AutoTranmission Fluid works good! A few drops on the bearings,once or twice a year should be enough to keep it going for years.

A stalled induction motor will overheat. It has the potential to flame but that's not common, usually they just melt the windings apart and ruin the motor.

DLCTEX
02-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd try lubing the bushings first, it may be brushes or dead bar on commutator. Dale

mousegun
03-01-2007, 01:24 AM
The motor's a shaded pole induction device (got one). Shaded pole motors have notoriously low starting torque, so dry or galled bearings are the most probable cause of sluggish or non-starting operation. Lubrication with an oil that won't gum or evaporate is the best remedy, though not a positive cure. The bearings may be too far shot. Can't hurt to try. I like synthetic power steering fluid.