PDA

View Full Version : "Inherited" some guns.....

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
My dad came for a visit this weekend and brought with him a pile of guns. These belonged to my uncle. He is moving into a smaller home, hasn't hunted in 20 years or more and no longer has any need or want to have them around. I am to sell them off and keep a few for my trouble.

There are two "deer" rifles. A post 64' Winchester M70 in .270 with a Weaver K4 on it. This is a beautiful rifle, it is not the XTR but classicly stocked, no black spacers etc....just a very nicely figured walnut stock. The other rifle is a Remington 700 ADL, early model with square safety in .308. It has an older Leupold 4x on it with tapered reticle, they start out heavy on the outside and as the crosshairs merge they get smaller and lighter. Both rifles are in nothing short of excellent condition. I doubt he fired more than 50 rounds through either one since bought new.

There were three .22 rifles, an excellent condition Remington nylon 66, a very nice old Remington 34 Tube fed and a Revelation single shot with a severely busted stock.

There were four shotguns. A Remington 1100, 26" vent rib barrel, 2 3/4 modified- excellent, like new practically. A Remington 870, old, 1950's vintage, corncob front end with a Poly choke. Very good condition, 12 gauge. A Winchester Defender 1300 with a pistol grip and the real prize an Ithaca IDE 20 gauge double from the 1920's. A BEAUTIFUL shotgun in excellent condition.

The last gun was an H&R 922, .22 revolver. There was also a couple of cases of dove loads, several boxes of rifle ammo etc......My uncle indicated he wanted about $1500 for it all and I could keep whatever else I got. I figure to keep the Remington 700, the 1100 and the Ithaca and will make up any difference.

The M70 is worth probably $450 or so. The 870 $150, the three .22's about $300, the Defender $175 and the 22 Revolver maybe $100. That leaves me about $300 short for the three guns I want to keep and all the ammo. Seems like a pretty good deal though for no more work than I will have to do. Have a gunshow next month and I figure I can move most of the stuff then without a problem.

rockrat
02-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Depending on which model of 66, an Apache Black or Mohawk brown (unless its one of the rarer ones with a greenish tinted stock), you might be suprised at the value of the 66. At Tulsa last year, most black ones were going for close to $300 and the plain brown ones were slightly over $200.

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Yea, I have a small collection of Nylon 66's and have seen them go up in price quite a bit over the last few years. This one is a standard Brown rifle, excellent condition but nothing unusual. Prices here are typically lower than other places, the gun should bring $150 or so I think. I have thought about keeping it as well.....

Right now there are two Nylon 66's in pawn shops in town. One is pretty beat up- missing front sight, receiver cover has been painted (rusty) and the bolt knob replaced with a home made one. The other gun is in pretty good shape but the stock is missing about 4" off the muzzle end, badly busted off. The two guns are $99 and $69. I thought about buying them both and swapping out the stock and selling the really ugly one for $60-70 and having a really good one for $100.

felix
02-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Lawyerman, save the 270 until further notice. ... felix

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Felix, I will be taking it and the others to the local gunshow on the 17th of next month in all likelihood. If it were a pre 64 or even a post .30-06 I would probably keep it too. I have one .270 and much prefer the 06 for the larger variety of bullets available. That and I have more .30 cal moulds.

The decision to keep the .308 ADL was not very hard, I am a sucker for .308's and have nearly a dozen. Looks like I have found the extra hunting rifles I was looking for just a week ago, funny how things work out.

Four Fingers of Death
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Good luck with the sale, I'd have to keep that Ithica and the Apache.

Lawyerman
02-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Yea, the little Ithaca is WAY too nice to sell. It is a beautiful shotgun, balances wonderfully. It should be a lightening bolt on quail.....I can hardly wait for next season.

I want the 1100 mainly because they have went through the roof in price. I have one and it is a nice gun so another would be a good idea. I was at Gander Mountain this last weekend and new 1187's were $600 for anything but the synthetic/parkerized economy grade guns. There is not enough difference in the two 1100/1187 to note. The 870 I can part with and not feel bad, I have more of them than even my grandchildren can wear out.

boommer
03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
LAWERMAN I would keep H@R 922 THAT IS GREAT LITTLE REVOLVER I have one it's
one of my favorites and the cheapest gun I own I love sitting in the lawn chair and
bounce cans all over the place and it has small grips for kids now if you still want to sell it cause mine going to wear out sooner or later give me an e-mail
evilclayshade@yahoo.com

MT Gianni
03-02-2007, 05:37 PM
The 922 was the first revolver I ever owned. It shot as good as I needed too until 1 cylinder started spitting lead. I sold it rather than replace the hand. Gianni.