PDA

View Full Version : .32 'shot' load ?

Czech_too
12-17-2011, 07:21 AM
I have seen mention of loading 38/357 brass with lead shot but nothing on doing the same with a 32 caliber casing. I've got a short barreled revolver in 327 Federal and thought that something like this would be good as a close range/indoors type of round. No worries about over penetration. A .310" RB fits snugly in the case mouth and conceivably one could load up to 3 of these, although I would probably limit myself to 2.

Initially I thought of starting with just 1 RB and going from there using Bullseye as powder, maybe 2 grains for starters.

Any thoughts on the matter, suggestions?

Brian

Hickory
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Back in the early 90's I went elk hunting in Colorado.
I took my S&W 631 with me in my backpack loaded with .315 RB and 1.3 grs. of Bullseye. I potted 3 grouse one evening about dusk as they landed on a limb not 20 ft away. Good eating the next evening. No one was late getting back to camp for supper.

Czech_too
01-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Since this idea is in the 'what if' stage, I only loaded up two rounds, using 32 H&R brass, one with a single ball, the other with two balls. Three grains of Bullseye was used in each with a index card wad over the powder. No crimp was applied to the case mouth. Some LLA was applied over the exposed area of the RB, which was seated flush with the case mouth.

At a range of seven yards -
First round, single ball, struck a few inches low and right of POA
Second round, two balls, struck a couple inches high and right, but within and 1 1/2" of each other.

I think the 'right' is my doing, most shots fired to date, out of this new to me revolver, are to the right. Probably my index finger position is causing this.

I'm going to continue to look into this.