PDA

View Full Version : What Brand Of Dies Do You Prefer?

Jason30-30
12-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Just Curious I Use LEE Dies & I Like RCBS Too. They Both Do Their Job.

canyon-ghost
12-16-2011, 08:24 PM
I use RCBS or Redding. My TC Contenders have some calibers that only Redding makes.

Walt
12-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Redding for rifle and Dillon for handgun.

felix
12-16-2011, 08:41 PM
I haven't ruined any kind of factory die, even when used sloppily. Just keep them clean. It is always best to have dies custom made for any gun, other than BR class, when the better than average gun shoots good. The sizer should be of the full length type with bump ability, keeping everything concentric using minimum friction for alignment. BR dies should be by the gun maker using the same tools as for the barrel chamber. These latter dies are definitely overkill for any other kind of gun. ... felix

Ickisrulz
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I have always used RCBS and like them.

I got some Hornady dies for 45 ACP when I couldn't find RCBS. I like the dies, but the set didn't include a taper crimp die and I didn't realize this. So I had to buy that die separate. I did not appreciate this in the least.

I know the RCBS 45 ACP die set includes a taper crimp die.

I like the Hornday bullet seater die a lot. But don't feel they offer a complete set with some of the auto pistol dies.

drklynoon
12-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I eock with Lee dies. They are inexpensive and I like the oring design. I've had to turn out an expander or two for some cast loads but I find they work just fine. I have some Lyman dies and the ol man has a bunch of RCBS. I don't care for the locking system on the Lymans.

12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Many of my die sets are purposely mix-and-match. I've taken what I think is the best die from the various companies and combined them into one set. Also, some cartridges have multiple die sets to accommodate a number of different boolit/bullet nose profiles.

I particularly like Lyman's discontinued Precision Alignment seating dies, and have them for all but two rifle cartridges. Hornday's New Dimension dies are a modern varient, and I have some of those, too, for both handgun and rifle.

Lee's rifle collet crimp die is an absolute winner, as is their collet neck sizing die. However, I deplore their handgun seating dies.

I don't have any RCBS specialty dies, but am very satisfied with their conventional sets.

I've pretty much convinced myself that any new die sets will be Hornady's.

jcwit
12-16-2011, 09:33 PM
I reload for over 30 calibers, and have dies from everyone expect dillion, they all work as designed and very well I might add.

UNIQUEDOT
12-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I like Lee, Lyman, and rcbs dies. There are things i like about each of them and which one i prefer depends on what caliber/bullet i am loading.

nicholst55
12-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I like Lyman dies for cast, and RCBS dies work very well for me for most applications. I have some Redding, and they look better than most others, but they don't necessarily work any better than anything else. Redding's lock rings leave something to be desired, but I do like their tapered expanders. I prefer the Redding Profile Crimp dies for revolver cartridges, also. I suspect that any new handgun dies I buy will be Dillon.

I think 462 has the right idea - mix and match.

ETA: Like many here, I own dies from all of the usual subjects (RCBS, Redding, Lee, Lyman, Forster, and Hornady). I also have at least one set of Pacific, and probably one or two other less common names. The question was which do you prefer, not how many different brands do you own.

stubshaft
12-16-2011, 10:05 PM
I like them all but for accurate ammo I use Redding and/or Wilson.

happy7
12-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I'm cheap, so a new die set is as likely to be Lee as anything, and I find them to be excellent value with a lot of features that I like. But if I can afford it I will always get Hornady for handgun dies. Their seater is the best as far as I am concerned as it keeps the bullet aligned, and their titanium nitride sizer is absolutely slicker in side by side comparisons that I have done, and this matters especially with long walled magnum cases. I like Redding for the crimp die. So I guess I mix and match a lot as well. I have tried the others. I have rcbs, redding, dillon, lyman, pacific, CH4, and others. They mostly all work and get the job done.

Pavogrande
12-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I use, hollywood, herter, GHS, easton, rcbs, pacific, lachmiller, lee, lyman, kenton and even a set that is not maker marked.
They all have worked fine

mooman76
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
I like Lee the best. I got others too but mostly could afford Lee so I got used to them. The others I have are just as good, no better or worse as far as I can see.

Kraschenbirn
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Looking at the (17) sets of dies racked over my reloading bench, I see Lyman, RCBS, Herter's, Bonanza, Hornaday, Pacific, Dillon, and Lee with, at least, (2) of those sets dating back to when I first began reloading in the early '60s.

Bill

Ziptar
12-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I mix and match as well. I only load 45 Colt, I've got sets from Lee, RCBS, and Lyman. What I've settled on in the turret is a Lee Size and Decap, Lyman Multi Expander, Seating die from an RCBS Cowboy set, and a Ranch Dog Factory Crimp Die (Lee collet rifle die in .45 Colt).

They are all good sets but, I like how each of those particular dies do their job.

max range
12-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Some mix and match here. Obviously when I have two or more sets of the same caliber. I decap a fair amount of military brass so the Lee deprimer is the one I go to. A majority of my dies are Lee although I also have Dillon, Lyman, Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Herter's (< I really miss that company). I don't care for the Lee lock rings at all. I like the "pinch with a set screw type". Dillon take a little getting used to as they work stlightly differently, but are top quality and have some nice features.
I have a couple of Lyman and Hornady dies in my junk pile. I like some features with the Redding dies, but I frankly think they are way overpriced and would not buy them if I were starting out. Lee is the best in the beginning.
Which brings me to a point; some of my early reloading gear was bought used and I took good care of it and sold/traded it later when I upgraded. This method softens the blow to the recreation budget.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Depends entirely on the application. I'll use any brand out there that'll do the job for the reloading task I'm trying to use. I don't care one way or another how much they cost or what color the box is.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 02:33 AM
I mix and match dies to do what I want. My .45 ACP and .38/.357 dies are a combination of CH, RCBS and Lyman.

In .45 Colt, I started with a set of Carbide Lee dies; them found a set of RCBS Carbide dies. THe RCBS die set is much easier to use, the sizing dies takes a lot less effort and the expander doesn't make the whole bench jerk when the cases comes off of it.

I do not like Lee's o-ring on the lock ring, although it does work; like max range, I like the ones with the pinch screw, (I wish I could remember who used to make them). If it has the set screw, I put a piece of lead shot under the screw (most of us have seen dies with boogered threads from the set screw).

In rifle dies, it depends. If it is for reloads, I'll use just about any die that I can find that won't break the bank.

If it is for handloads, I'll spend a little bit more money. The more I use the Hornady New Dimension dies, the more I like them. Redding makes a very good looking die. I have more RCBS than anything, but I started with them. I do like the Lee rifle factory crimp die, although I don't really think it is necessary, my RCBS dies have put on a perfectly servicable roll crimp on any round that has needed a crimp.

The Lyman M die or its homemade equivalent is tops for neck expanding.

Robert

hk33ka1
12-17-2011, 04:23 AM
I'm mostly using Lee and RCBS. Been very happy with both in rifle and pistol cals.

jimkim
12-17-2011, 07:00 AM
I have Lee, RCBS, Pacific, Herters, and Lyman. My favorites are the Pacific Durachrome dies. They are made like Redding dies.

Kevin Rohrer
12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Hornady, Redding, & Dillon.

midnight
12-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Redding is my first choice. I like the sliding sleeve on Hornady's seating die so I have a lot of those too. It works similar to the Vickerman.

Bob

1hole
12-17-2011, 10:45 AM
When I started I was quite confident the brand of dies I used were the best possible. Then I had a chance to buy some others cheap so I did. Didn't take long for me to lose any serious die brand preferece; on average, they all work quite well. (Seems the less experience some people have the more certain they are that their brand is THE BEST! :) )

I do slightly prefer Lyman for straight wall cases due to their excellant expander design, and Redding now that they have copied Lyman's. I slightly prefer Forster or Redding 'competion' seaters for really accurate rifles because of their full lenth case/bullet alignment sleeves. Otherwise, in 46+ years of reloading, I've found as much variation between individual dies of the same brand as between brands.

1Shirt
12-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Think I have a good selection of a number of dies picked up over the years. Herters, Lee, RCBS, Pacific, Hornady,Lyman, Bair, etc. They all work. Have not bought veriy many new. Have over 30 sets and growing.
1Shirt!:coffee:

RobS
12-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Mostly Lee here with some others mixed in. Then I have those dies that I modified and made myself.

Reload3006
12-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Hornady is my hands down favorite because of their seating die it keeps everything straight. great die. But RCBS is buy once in your life time even if its used. So its RCBS for me but I have several dies from several companies. If you can find Old dies Lyman I would certainly not buy anything new from lyman

skeet1
12-17-2011, 06:14 PM
I have used most brands and I would have to say that when looking for a new set of dies I generally buy Lee. For the money and quality I think they are as good or better than the other brands. I didn't used to like the lock rings then I tried them and find them easy to use.

Ken

1hole
12-17-2011, 06:37 PM
"I didn't used to like (Lee) lock rings then I tried them and find them easy to use."

Yeah, it's amazing how actually using something - correctly - can change all but the most closed minds isn't it? ;)

rasto
12-17-2011, 07:02 PM
For pistol and rifle plinking LEE, some special dies RCBS, precision rifle shooting Redding and for swaging Kaine dies

MtGun44
12-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Current Hornady dies are really top notch. They provide a precision sleeve seater to make
really straight ammo with the normal die set. Any other maker that even have this, charge
about twice as much for their "benchrest" die set, adding a micrometer seating stem in some
cases.

Lee dies are fine for calibers that I am not making a max effort for accuracy, mostly my old
milsurps that will be shot with worn barrels and the original sights, so a modest improvement
in ammo straightness won't really be apparent.

Other makers have good quality dies, but at this point, once I get past the 'keep the cost low'
idea for milsurps that will be mostly shot for fun and plinking, I want the best quality ammo
I can make, and that means STRAIGHT ammo. Std Hornadies dies produce the straightest
ammo for me of any standard die sets. Lee collet dies are also excellent for producing very
straight cases, and with a good seater die you can get really good ammo with these, and
esp with milsurps that have generous chambers where full length sizing will dramatically
shorten brass life. .303 Brit is a perfect example.

Just a clarification - I have lots of RCBS die sets, a few Redding die sets and they work fine.

Bill

UNIQUEDOT
12-17-2011, 11:54 PM
I didn't used to like the lock rings then I tried them and find them easy to use.

I actually put them on some of my Lyman and RCBS dies because i got used to them. I think i have some on a ch die or two.

Current Hornady dies are really top notch. They provide a precision sleeve seater to make
really straight ammo with the normal die set.

I doubt you would want to know what Richard Lee thinks about this gimmick. :)

Reload3006
12-17-2011, 11:58 PM
when talking lock rings RCBS has the suckiest out there SORRY RCBS you make great gear but your lock rings are big POSes .. LOL I like Hornady lock rings the best then Forester then lee and the bottom of my reloading junk drawer is RCBS.

Rokkit Syinss
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
I have Lee, RCBS, Redding and CH; they all work. I like Lee's factory crimp and collet sizer dies for some applications. I replace all my lockrings with Hornady split rings. For bump sizing I make a shim.

40Super
12-18-2011, 01:20 AM
RCBS and Hornady are my main go to dies,with Dillon crimp dies,Redding specialty dies,and 1 Lee set that just sits except for the crimp die.I'm working on getteing a Hornady seater for most, if not all ,of my calibers.

zuke
12-18-2011, 02:46 AM
LEE but a couple of other's because their semi custon,ie my 303 EPP's dies from rcbs

GabbyM
12-18-2011, 03:42 AM
What caliber are you laoding?
Progressive of single stage?

Ziptar
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Question for you guys that use Hornady's seating die with the sliding alignment sleeve with cast bullets, hand gun in particular.

I've seen lots of reviews and form posts in the past by people complaining that it doesn't work well with cast bullets and that it's designed for jacketed. I read one post a while back by someone that had claimed to have been told exactly that by Hornady's customer service.

I like the concept and have been wanting to get one and try it but, thats always caused me to pause.

Any issues using it with cast for you guys?

Firebricker
12-18-2011, 11:34 AM
I like RCBS and Redding the best but have used lots of Lee dies that worked fine. I put the carbide expander on all my Redding rifle dies. I do have one mixed set were I picked what I think worked best. That is for .223 I use Redding FL sizing die Hornady bullet seating die and Lee factory crimp die.
FB

12-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Ziptar,
Yes, the Lyman and Hornady sliding alignment sleeves are manufactured with jacketed bullets in mind. It's not a difficult job to enlarge them to whatever size is needed, to accommodate our fatter cast boolits.

Ziptar
12-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Ziptar,
Yes, the Lyman and Hornady sliding alignment sleeves are manufactured with jacketed bullets in mind. It's not a difficult job to enlarge them to whatever size is needed, to accommodate our fatter cast boolits.

Thanks appreciate the info.

LUBEDUDE
12-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Ima *****, I have some of everybody's; red, the other red, blue, green, the other green, orange.

But the day in and day out ones are Dillon with Lee FCD.

grubbylabs
12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I have some new RCBS dies and some new Hornady dies. I like the Hornady dies better. I think they are a better design and a better holding case. I like having a shell holder in the box.

roverboy
12-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I've got 6 sets of RCBS and 1 Lee.

Char-Gar
12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
For rifle calibers, Redding or RCBS is what I would buy in new dies. I have quite a few older sets of CH, Pacific, Hollywood, and Lyman that work just fine.

For cast bullet seating dies (rifle) I use Vickerman, Lyman PA, Wilson chamber type seating dies and chamber type seating dies I make myself. Each of these dies have seating chambers of the right size for cast bullets.

For new handgun dies I would go with Lyman. For sixgun rounds, 45 Colt, 44 Special and Magnum, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, I used older steel dies from the 50s and 60's as they don's work the brass as much as the carbide sizers do. I also have Redding Profile Crimp dies for all those calibers as well.

Recluse
12-19-2011, 02:13 PM
It's never mattered to me--I've gotten good results from all of them.

:coffee:

Jason30-30
12-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Has Anybody Had Any Problems Seating Cast Bullets With RCBS Or Lee? I Had A Fellow Tell Me Thats Why He Preffered Lyman Dies.

Recluse
12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Has Anybody Had Any Problems Seating Cast Bullets With RCBS Or Lee? I Had A Fellow Tell Me Thats Why He Preffered Lyman Dies.

Zero problems.

In fact, I've had more problems seating cast boolits with Lyman dies, and some Hornady dies, than I have any other brands.

:coffee:

grubbylabs
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I have used Hornady dies to seat cast boolits for my 45-70 (.460) my 44 call stuff at .430 and RCBS for .451 without any problems.

1hole
12-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Quote: "Current Hornady dies are really top notch. They provide a precision sleeve seater to make really straight ammo with the normal die set."

I doubt you would want to know what Richard Lee thinks about this gimmick.

I agree with Dick Lee. I've seen no improvement in measured concentricity with Hornady's (or the RCBS Comp/GM) short, slopply fitted sliding sleeves, they are far from "precision." And they are not unique; that basic design was used by at least four die makers in the sixties. They were dropped by all because it was impossible to make them fit tight enough to be precise and still slip and slide from gravity.

Brand of die is no certain guarantee of anything, they all work to SAAMI tolerances. So, on average, we have two grades of seating dies; the Redding/Forster competion dies are tied for first place, all others are tied for second. On average, all brands of FL sizers are tied for first. For neck sizers, it's Lee's collet in first place because of the way it leaves necks straight - no seater can correct for a bent case neck.

Reload3006
12-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Lee is selling dies too. Seems he has a vested interested interest in his claims. I however have no vested interest I am not going to make a dime. I have Lee dies I use them and I like them. I have Herters dies I use them and I like them I have RCBS dies I use them and I like them I have Lyman dies I use them and i like them. I also have hornady dies. They work as advertized however they all give satisfactory results. The Hornady seater dies do align things better. I have proven it with a RCBS concentricity gauge.

Pigslayer
12-20-2011, 08:35 PM
:coffeecomI'm pretty much a "Lyman" guy anymore. I have some RCBS and they are "Quality" too . . . but for my money, it's Lyman. They've been around for a very long time & they're still doing it right. I've been reloading since 1972. I've had & have Redding & RCBS & both make good stuff but way overpriced. I won't discredit the quality of any of the reloading manufacturers as they all make good equipment in my estimation . . . it's just that with Lyman . . . I'm comfortable.

bandit7.5
12-21-2011, 12:26 AM
any set new for 20.00 or less,and yes they are out there. scored 3 dillions 308,380,45auto. at a local gun shop, still sealed. not sealed now.
Dillions don't like paper patch cast boolits but lymans do.

Horace
12-22-2011, 12:39 AM
for the 550B it`s dillon.Redding,RCBS. Lee when the time is right.

rodsvet
12-23-2011, 01:27 AM
For pistol calibers in my 650 I like Lee. They just seem to work better than the Dillons that came with the press. I've got dies from them all over the last 40 years but for some reason cheaper seems to work better for me. Rod

GabbyM
12-23-2011, 04:06 AM
In my Dillon 550 I use a few die sets but the Dillon dies work best for hand gun calibers.
They are designed for large volume loading and they deliver.

With rifle loads it really depends upon what you are trying to do with your rifle and load.
How many rounds you will shoot from the gun.
Are you looking for that one hole five shot group at 100 yards?
Or would you be satisfied with a load that will hit a deer at 500 yards within a six inch pattern.
That’s the thing. As varmint shooters call a six inch group at 500yards a pattern while large groups of shooters condemn any hunter who would take a shot over 200 yards as anyone knows you can’t even hit a deer that far away . BA.

Long range rilfes cost a lot of money. Dies of bench rest quality are the last item on the list not the first.

BretMavrick
12-23-2011, 04:32 AM
I use mostly Hornady, I like the locking ring over the RCBS. Lee crimp dies, and RCBS Xdies for the rifle calibers I load a lot of 30-06, 308 win, 223rem.
I neck size my 30-06 for my bolt hunting rifle, so the Xdie is set up for M1 Garrand.

hiram1
12-24-2011, 08:48 PM
rcbs or dillon

Shedhunter
12-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I've got Hornady, Pacific, Forster, RCBS and some Lee dies. They all do a good job.

adrians
12-25-2011, 04:16 PM
:twisted::popcorn::evil:,,,, redding,,,rcbs,,,lyman,,,
in that order..:bigsmyl2: