PDA

View Full Version : NOE Mold for .327

randyrat
12-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Would this be a good bullet for the .327, 32 H&R Mag or the 32 S&W long/ revolver ?
NOE 314316 - 115 gr

115 gr
Dia .314
Gas check

MikeS
12-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Randy, I would think the 3118 would be a better choice, unless you get the 314316 in a PB version, don't really need the GC for shooting out of a revolver. I have the 311316, and I got it made the same way Lyman did, with gas checks, and it's a PITA unless you really need the GC. I also got in on the 3118 group buy, and that one IS a plain based boolit. This way I'm covered both ways, if I want a fast moving boolit, or a slow speed light recoiling one.

Green Frog
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Randy, I'm looking over reloading data for the .327 for my Ruger BlackHawk, and I'm getting the idea that for some hotter applications to get the fullest advantage of this potentially high performance round, gas checks may be a good thing. I too ordered the NOE 3118 PB copy on the group buy and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. However, I don't think I would discount shooting the 311316 naked if it were what I had and if I were shooting mild loads, then be able to put a copper diaper on it for a higher performance load. JMHO, take it for what it's worth.

Froggie

randyrat
12-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Well it is for a friend and he plans on shooting mostly 32 brass no more than 1K vel...My same thoughts PIA with gas checks and a plain base would be just fine.
That mold I mentioned has one PB and one cavity GC... I'm gonna try to talk him into a plain base.

MT Gianni
12-17-2011, 12:57 AM
I have not done a lot of work with the 327 yet but believe that it is one handgun that could benefit from a gc. Original pressure was 42,000 now relegated down to 37500. I don't think 32 H&R needs them but the combo mold may be the best one to have.

Mk42gunner
12-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Well it is for a friend and he plans on shooting mostly 32 brass no more than 1K vel...My same thoughts PIA with gas checks and a plain base would be just fine.
That mold I mentioned has one PB and one cavity GC... I'm gonna try to talk him into a plain base.

Under 1,000 fps? I wouldn't go to the expense of using gas checks for that.

I have not done a lot of work with the 327 yet but believe that it is one handgun that could benefit from a gc. Original pressure was 42,000 now relegated down to 37500. I don't think 32 H&R needs them but the combo mold may be the best one to have.

It didn't take long for the pressure limit to be downgraded on the .327, did it? I wonder why, all of the guns for it are, or should be, made of quality steel.

Robert

GabbyM
12-17-2011, 04:28 AM
It didn't take long for the pressure limit to be downgraded on the .327, did it? I wonder why, all of the guns for it are, or should be, made of quality steel.

Robert

I used to load 32 H&R magnum to some high velocity with AA#9 and light boolits. In a Ruger SP101 the cases would stick to where you’d have to pull them from the cylinder one at a time. That’s pretty much the bane in getting power out of a 32 revolver with long skinny cases. Case capacity or pressure was never a limit with my 32 H&R . It was sticking cases that don’t fall out of the cylinder when cycling the ejector.

Just my opinion that’s not worth a cup of coffee. The fellow that designed the 32-20 had already figured this out which is why the 32-20 is a bottle neck cartridge. Which leads to my opinion that the fellows who came up with the 32 Fed are a bunch of idiots. I’d like to say that again. IDIOTS. I feel better now. They could have altered the 32-20 with a stronger case just long enough to not fit an old 32-20.

AS a machinist I’ll tell you straight up why they dint’ do that. It’s a slow feed rate with progressive tools stepping up to the final finish on a tapered chamber. While with a strait cylinder you just ram a tool in then move to the next hole. Only a wild guess but that’s probably fifteen or twenty dollars spread on a cylinder. Machine time is about five dollars a minute. That’s on the big end not the little end I live on. So we end up with a straight walled 32 designed by some college educated accountant dumb ***. Again that’s just my opinion. But in support of my argument. Why not a 32 that fires a 95 grain bullet at 1,500 fps that will drop the cases from a swing out revolver cylinder? Simple answer is because the pretty boys who gave us the 32 Fed are a bunch of IDIOTS that like themselves and one another more than there trade.

Hopefully I’ve not left any grey area on my opinion of the 32 Fed. BUT just in case. It needs dumped on the trash heap if idiot scams. To be replaced by a true working high power 32 round. That would be fire your rounds. Swing your cylinder out. Hit the ejector to watch your brass fall into a coffee can. I don’t think that’s to much to ask from twenty first century technology.

exile
12-17-2011, 07:20 AM
GabbyM,

Not trying to rain on your parade, because I am sure I don't know as much about this issue as you do, BUT;

I have an SP101 in .327 Federal and I wonder if the problem with sticking cases could be a rough finish on the cylinder walls and not a fault of the cartridge itself. Not saying I know, I'm just wondering.

exile

excess650
12-17-2011, 10:57 AM
I have a S&W M16 in 32 H&R Mag and shot it with hot, non-book loads of AA#7. Loads that were fine in my S&W would stick or blow primers in a friends Ruger SSSM.

The 32 H&R Mag SAAMI spec is on par pressure wise with +P 38 Spl, so no need for GCs. Even my hot loaded rounds didn't lead with the .311008 cast hard and lubed with LBT Blue.

IMO, GCs in a revolver are a bandaid for something wrong.

Bardo
12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
I have the NOE 314316 GC and out of a single six 32 H&R 4 5/8" it shoots great. I load it with 4.8gr of HS-6 for an avg. 942fps That is cast from WW +2% tin and lubed with CR. This boolit didnt like lilgun like my NOE313640 PB did. I still have to mess around with this boolit (314316) I have only had the mold for about 1.5 weeks and havent tried it out of my 327 yet.

Bardo

nanuk
12-18-2011, 08:14 AM
GabbyM

as I value your opinion, I'm wondering.....

How do you REALLY feel about the 327 as a high pressure, fast shooting, revolver cartridge?

Bret4207
12-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Gabby, you and I are pretty much in agreement as far as the 327 being any kind of improvement on the 32 WCF.

Randy, I think the 311008 would work for your friend, but- have him look into getting a good supply of 32 S+W Long brass. There's simply no need for 327 or Mag brass for 1K fps in the 32. In fact, the 32 S+W brass will work for 750- 900 fps loads all day long.

The 311316 is fabulous design, I've been using it since the late 70's IIRC. The 311008 is another great design, but it and the 311316 are NOT the same boolit with a GC added/deleted. Close, yes, but not alike. When your friend gets pushing the pressure up the 316 with it's GC shines- it just makes things sooooooo much easier, just like the 358156 does in the 357. If he has the option he might well consider getting a multi cavity design with at least one hole cut for the GC 316. I'd give up all my PB moulds if push came to shove. A GC will always work, sometimes even w/o the GC. The PB might work as the psi creeps up, but for the cost of GC's or a GC making kit I'd stick with what gives me the greater chance for success.

Again, like Gabby, that's just my opinion and worth just what you paid for it.

TJF1
12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Gabby m

i must be one of those idiots because i have 3 327 fed a sp101 ruger bh and a charter arms all will drop out with no prob. The sp101 had a bad cylinder
but ruger replaced it for free. And i love them. Thanks

terry

Green Frog
12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
GabbyM, I was all excited about the resurgence of the .32-20 some years back, and asked Skeeter in what I believe was his last public appearance about using that round in modern applications. He had been testing the then-new .32 H&R Magnum and stated unequivocally that the Mag would be better for high pressure usage than the .32-20 because of the straight walled case. There are several reasons that .38 Spl and .357 Mag revolvers are so popular to reload, not among the least of which is that the straight wall case is so strong and easy to work with. His point about the .32 Mag was that it would be the same thing for this diameter. Of course he never saw the .327 FM, but extrapolating from his comments, I have to believe that "Mr. .32-20" would have approved, and I subscribe to the tag line of one of our fellow forum members, "WWSD - What would Skeeter do?" JMHO, YMMV... but I just bought a .327 BH! :D

Froggie

PS Yes, I know how a Morse taper is locked only in its full engagement and any outward movement releases it, but brass is supposed to swell and spring back, so we're dealing with a different dynamic here.

Bret4207
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Froggie, wonder what Skeeter would have said if he'd had Starlines outstanding 32-20 brass available?

excess650
12-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I just have to ask. Did the 357 Maximum suffer from sticky extraction due to case length?

trk
12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
However, I don't think I would discount shooting the 311316 naked if it were what I had and if I were shooting mild loads, then be able to put a copper diaper on it for a higher performance load. JMHO, take it for what it's worth.

Froggie

Charlie - I wouldn't shoot ANYTHING if I were naked!

(I have a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.)

Green Frog
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Charlie - I wouldn't shoot ANYTHING if I were naked!

(I have a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.)

:kidding:...so it's safe to break into your house while you're in the shower??:mrgreen:

I'm basically thinking of the .327 FM as a sort of "rimmed .30 Carbine." I even bought a bag of Remington FMJ bullets for the .30 C to experiment with in my .327 FM load development.

Froggie

Green Frog
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Froggie, wonder what Skeeter would have said if he'd had Starlines outstanding 32-20 brass available?

Good brass no doubt... I bought some for my M&P in that caliber, but I think the straight case still has the upper hand for repeated reloading. JMHO, YMMV we can discuss & compare! :drinks:

Froggie

GabbyM
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
If you want to shoot a 32 right now the 32 Fed is probably the best round out there so that's what we have. I just think we could have done far better. Seriously guys. Who actually enjoys a revolver running at 44,000 P.S.I. ? I look at rounds like 30 Mauser from 1893 and the 32-20 Winchester from 1882 and see no advancement.

A GP-100 in 32 Fed does look nice and I’m sure one could work up a load to function and shoot great. But since the GP-100 is a 357 magnum revolver and the 32-20 and 357 Magnum are only .025" difference in case length. 32 Fed is .090" shorter than a 357 and .115" shorter than a 32-20 Win. Larger case means he same bullet velocity at a lower pressure. Suppose the thing to do would just be happy with the 32 Fed running start loads with 85 grain bullets at 1300 fps with the same pressure as a 9x19mm round. Or a RCBS 98 grain wad cutter over 2.6 grains of WW231 at 805 fps. That's not to shabby. Already suffer form tinnitus (ringing of the ears). You’ll never catch me shooting a 44,000 psi revolver. An audiologist told me one they have calculated that 9 shots with a handgun out a pickup truck window is enough to cause permanent hearing damage to unprotected ears. I shot the 32 H&R one time without hearing protection. Never tried that again.

nanuk
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
..... An audiologist told me one they have calculated that 9 shots with a handgun out a pickup truck window is enough to cause permanent hearing damage to unprotected ears. I shot the 32 H&R one time without hearing protection. Never tried that again.

I hear... er... barely hear that!

mine was a 357 with a wide gap. One shot. Stunned me.

and a month later, a 6.5x55 semi auto with the open gas port..... 20 shots. took over a month for my hearing to return to somewhat normal.

that was 23 years ago, my hearing tests can still pick up some structural damage

dualsport
12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Lot of .32 fans here. Just in case you missed it there's a long interesting thread here started by 'Molly' on the .32 as a fightin' cartridge. The thread died off but had a good long run. Look it up if you want some .32 readin'. I scored a couple years ago and got a gun I'd been dreaming of for a looong time, a Ruger .32 SSM with adj. sights. Like new. I'm very happy with it and would like to get more .32s. A very nice gentleman's caliber or a fire breather, I think of it as a small .357 mag., one of the most versatile cartidges out there IMHO. How about a Ruger 77/22 bolt action rotary mag in .32 H&R? Doable? Man that would be a little sweetie.

contender1
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I guess I'm one of those "idiots" who enjoys the 327 and the 32 maggies. One of the reasons I prefer them over the 32-20's IS the straight walled cases. And, I too must be one of those folks who has that rare & unusual Ruger in that NONE of mine experience "sticky" case extraction.

Green Frog
12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
If you want to shoot a 32 right now the 32 Fed is probably the best round out there so that's what we have. I just think we could have done far better. Seriously guys. Who actually enjoys a revolver running at 44,000 P.S.I. ? I look at rounds like 30 Mauser from 1893 and the 32-20 Winchester from 1882 and see no advancement.

A GP-100 in 32 Fed does look nice and I’m sure one could work up a load to function and shoot great. But since the GP-100 is a 357 magnum revolver and the 32-20 and 357 Magnum are only .025" difference in case length. 32 Fed is .090" shorter than a 357 and .115" shorter than a 32-20 Win. Larger case means he same bullet velocity at a lower pressure. Suppose the thing to do would just be happy with the 32 Fed running start loads with 85 grain bullets at 1300 fps with the same pressure as a 9x19mm round. Or a RCBS 98 grain wad cutter over 2.6 grains of WW231 at 805 fps. That's not to shabby. Already suffer form tinnitus (ringing of the ears). You’ll never catch me shooting a 44,000 psi revolver. An audiologist told me one they have calculated that 9 shots with a handgun out a pickup truck window is enough to cause permanent hearing damage to unprotected ears. I shot the 32 H&R one time without hearing protection. Never tried that again.

There has been a lot of work done with the concept of load density and efficiency of rounds. The volume of the .32-20 case was a function of its original black powder loading, IIRC, and nobody fills it up with commonly used smokeless powders. With the right powder and case construction, you could probably build a 40,000 psi round on the .32 S&W Long case, but who would want to? The main reason for longer revolver cartridges seems to be not for increased capacity but to prevent their being used in older, weaker revolvers. Imagine even a 25-30,000 psi .327 Fed Mag round in your old break top H&R. :eek.

I made the mistake of doing a lot of shooting without hearing protection over a long time, and taught High School for 30 years. I don't know which damaged my hearing more, but tinnitus is a constant companion now. :???:

Froggie

Old Goat Keeper
12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Well I AM a dumb dutchman but I'm not supid or an idiot. Yeah I have a Ruger GP-100 in .327 and have never had even one factory round stick. And I've shot both Federal loads and a few of the Speers. Haven't reloaded any yet so I can't say about reloads. But I'd say that either there was a problem with the gun or someone was way overlaoding their ammo. Hey Jeff Quinn on GunBlasts loaded it hot and didn't have any problems with casings sticking. He admits his loads were HOT!!

T-o-m

Gabby m

i must be one of those idiots because i have 3 327 fed a sp101 ruger bh and a charter arms all will drop out with no prob. The sp101 had a bad cylinder
but ruger replaced it for free. And i love them. Thanks

terry