PDA

View Full Version : Trueing up HP noses

1Shirt
12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
I have found that using the Lyman tool for deburring the inside of case flash holes
is great for trueing up the nose on cast HP's. It can be used with just the blt before loading or after loaded. I use it after the case is loaded as it is easier to hold and turn. Makes a defference in my experiance in accuracy over those that are not trued.
1Shirt!:coffee:

williamwaco
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I have found that using the Lyman tool for deburring the inside of case flash holes
is great for trueing up the nose on cast HP's. It can be used with just the blt before loading or after loaded. I use it after the case is loaded as it is easier to hold and turn. Makes a defference in my experiance in accuracy over those that are not trued.
1Shirt!

What's "blt"

How do you keep it from tilting and making the point crooked?

x101airborne
12-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Just short hand for boolit.

Interesting Idea.
I have never checked to see if a trued hp would affect accuracy.

Janoosh
12-16-2011, 08:36 PM
I know individuals on the US F-Class team, and they speak of "trueing up the bullets ogive". They say it improves accuracy at 800-1000 yds. Couldn't trueing a hollow point have the same effect? I'm talking at longer ranges for a Boolit. Perhaps at short to mid-range also?

beagle
12-17-2011, 12:22 AM
For truing up HP cavities in a cast HP, there's nothing that beats a "nosepicker top punch". Take an electric drill and a machine bolt and a file and turn a flat top punch(real easy if you have a lathe). Then using the file, turn a "tit" on it about 1/8" long and just a bit bigger than the HP cavity diameter. Use this TP when doing cast HPs. It accomplishes two things. First, it centers the bullet when sizing. Second, it opens the HP cavity and makes it perfectly round. Been using them for years./beagle

Reload3006
12-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Sinclair has a Meplat trimmer to do just what y'all are talking about. I believe it helps ... Just wish I could shoot good enough to find out.

stubshaft
12-17-2011, 12:38 AM
The last time I had Erik HP a mold for me he made a nose punch identical to the HP pin for me to size with. Works perfectly and since then I have made one for my 452424 by taking the original punch and putting a dollop of 5 minute epoxy putty into it then resting it on top of a oiled boolit in my lubrisizer. Wait for it to harden and pop the boolit off, quick custom punch. Don't like it remove it from lubrisizer and hit it with a little heat and the epoxy comes right off.