PDA

View Full Version : .500 wadcutter

subsonic
12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I like the .500 S&W for it's accuracy in the platforms it's chambered in, namely the X-frame and the BFR. The power is plenty also.

The recoil is a lot. A lot of folks will agree with me on this, even if they feel like their man card is in jeopardy by saying it. Those that don't agree, well, no need to discuss them, because this mold won't be for them.

The math says the recoil energy and velocity are somewhere greater than 2x that of a full power .44 mag, with the .500 in the heavier guns it comes in.

So, how about a mold for plinking with the .500? Or a mould that makes a boolit that novices can handle? Namely either a full wadcutter or even a WFN style with a short (less than .350") nose? We'll let weight be decided by the dimensions we want from it, but I'm guessing around 400-450gr.

What I would like to see is 4 equal driving bands of .090" with squarish lube grooves between, a nice crimp groove, front driving band of .150", no gas check (plinking, remember) and either a button nose like a common .38WC OR a WFN/OWC type nose that is short, maybe as short as .250" on the WFN. If we make it a button nose, how about a gentle taper on the front of that driving band to help it center up in the forcing cone, maybe 11 degrees?

Anbody interested?

69daytona
12-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Tried that earlier this year, only a few were interested, Not enough to have it made. If you have a 700gr mold just cut it off at the crimp groove and you will have a 400gr or so wad cutter, Ive tried it and it works pretty good.
Look way back in this section and you might find the proposed 500 WC

subsonic
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
How about this?

90% meplat, .250 nose

Cbenc1
12-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I would be interested, but would like it to be about 350 grain or less.