PDA

View Full Version : Bullets undersized from mold

vmthtr
12-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I have two Lee molds that I have had for years and am getting back into casting. One is 200 SWC 45 cal and the other is a 158 SWC Lee mold. Both are dropping WW alloy 5 to 6 under diameter. No chance of even loaing them as the die does not size the brass that far down. How can these be that small?

badgeredd
12-16-2011, 09:05 AM
I have two Lee molds that I have had for years and am getting back into casting. One is 200 SWC 45 cal and the other is a 158 SWC Lee mold. Both are dropping WW alloy 5 to 6 under diameter. No chance of even loaing them as the die does not size the brass that far down. How can these be that small?

Is it possible that you aren't casting them hot enough? That seems to be an extremely excessive amount to be undersized.

If you're sure it is indeed a small mold, I'd consider contacting Lee to get them replaced with molds that are correct in diameter.

Edd

williamwaco
12-16-2011, 12:45 PM

I hate to sound stupid but I frequently do.

Are you saying the molds used to work ok and now they are casting undersized?

I don't have a solution other than what has been recommended but I am very curious.

Larry Gibson
12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Cast hotter and add 2% tin to the WWs.

Larry Gibson

vmthtr
12-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I did use them years ago and they were fine. I am going to try and cast hotter. I am on the low side temp wise.

geargnasher
12-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Get the MOULDS hotter, keep the alloy as cool as possible, about 100 degrees above the fully-liquid state is plenty.

I'm assuming that your meausuring tools are in proper calibration?

Gear

vmthtr
12-16-2011, 06:21 PM
You mean my calipers? Used two different ones. Both same reading.

geargnasher
12-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Spelling has never been my strong suit, guess I need to start using some sort of spellchecker! Actually, I was hoping you'd say "Micrometer" instead of "Caliper", since most calipers aren't very accurate. At least you can compare your cast boolit measurements with some jacketed bullets to get an idea how close the calipers are reading. If the boolits fall into a sized case though, you know they're way off. Five thousandths undersized is a major issue, more than temperature will begin to compensate for, and the only other thing I can think of that that can cause that is a severely contaminated alloy or way too much Frankford Arsenal mould release sprayed into the cavities, like four or five layers!

Gear

vmthtr
12-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I am looking at my molda and maybe I do have to much release in there. Gonna clean it out and try again.

geargnasher
12-16-2011, 09:28 PM
ANY mould release is too much in my book. You didn't mention that you used it, but we've seen this problem before from it, hence my intuition.

Gear

btroj
12-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Mould release is a big time way to reduce bullet diameter. Learned that many moons ago the hard way. I now know that the only thing that belongs in the cavities of a mould is lead.
Give that mould a good cleaning, it MIT be hard to get it all out, and I bet the bullets are more on size.

williamwaco
12-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Spelling has never been my strong suit, guess I need to start using some sort of spellchecker! Actually, I was hoping you'd say "Micrometer" instead of "Caliper", since most calipers aren't very accurate. At least you can compare your cast boolit measurements with some jacketed bullets to get an idea how close the calipers are reading. If the boolits fall into a sized case though, you know they're way off. Five thousandths undersized is a major issue, more than temperature will begin to compensate for, and the only other thing I can think of that that can cause that is a severely contaminated alloy or way too much Frankford Arsenal mould release sprayed into the cavities, like four or five layers!

Gear

If I may change the subject, Gear. I do not understand this at all. Over the years I have owned three calipers. One vernier, one dial and now a digital. They were all pretty close but as you said none were really accurate.

When I test my current digital caliper with .22 caliber match bullets from Hornady and Sierra, they are dead on.

But when I compare readings on sized cast bullets from .309 through .454, to readings from my Micrometer, they are off anywhere from half to three fours of one thousandths.

Can you tell me why?

Sonnypie
12-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Oh that's an easy fix.

Just flux with real butter.
That'll fatten them up. :popcorn:

Jim
12-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Sonny, go to your room. :bigsmyl2:

Sonnypie
12-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Sonny, go to your room. :bigsmyl2:

I'll have you know this IS my room. ;)

Bad Water Bill
12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
FINE Now put your nose in the corner or we will turn your lites out:bigsmyl2:

Texantothecore
12-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I use a lyman caliper and it is consistently accurate. I zero it out first everytime I use it.

Sonnypie
12-20-2011, 09:37 PM
FINE Now put your nose in the corner or we will turn your lites out:bigsmyl2:

Oh.. now... you don't want to know what goes on when the lights go out. [smilie=w:

:shock:

[smilie=l:

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Man I am not going there.

I have been scared enough in my lifetime to last 6 folks.