PDA

View Full Version : Lead ingots from a scrap yard.

mac3
12-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I've got a line on about 200# of ingots with a name on them (probably lee or something) ingots and several hundred pounds of "muffin type" ingots from a scrap yard @ about .40 per lb. My concern is that somebody melted with too high heat and have contaminated them with zinc, then sent them off to scrap once they found out what they had done. I have read the sticky about muratic, hydrochloric and citric acid testing, but what is the best way to detect the presence of zinc? What reliable method have ya'll used? I've not seen these yet, but been told of their availability from a friend that works there. I have about 600# of my melt that I know what it is (sorting, temp control, ect...). Any input or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mac.

sqlbullet
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Acid testing is easy, quick and sure. That is the route I would take. Muriatic acid is easy to come by as well.

bumpo628
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Be sure to test known good ingots side by side so that you see how the reaction should look like.

badgeredd
12-18-2011, 10:42 AM
At 40 cents a pound, I'd get it and use it. If it is contaminated with zinc, one can remove a lot of the zinc by re-melting it at 600 degrees and skimming of the meal like dross. It won't be totally cleaned but should work ok when alloyed with know lead. A litttle zinc won't hurt your casting. I'd be more concerned if it gave off a odd smell when heated to the low temps as it may contain calcium or cadmium from battery lead.

Edd

uscra112
12-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Just a reminder, on the off chance that it's battery lead - the dross from melting batteries, combined with even a little moisture, generates stibene gas which is EXTREMELY toxic. Read the sticky on battery lead.

Of course there's also a chance that somebody was just cleaning out Dad's garage after his demise, and had no clue what the stuff was good for......

shotman
12-18-2011, 11:38 AM
If there is much zinc the tops of some will look like small pop corn. more rough than smooth If they are very smooth would bet its good .
About batteries many years ago when batteries were just trash. I drained about 10 and broke the cases and let them dry. Had a large brush pile that had some good size trees , I put all the insides on the pile and set it on fire. Couple days later went to get the lead. all I had was the little pile where the terminals were.

Sonnypie
12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Acid testing is easy, quick and sure. That is the route I would take. Muriatic acid is easy to come by as well.

I was checking on the prices of mineral spirits and solvents at my local Lowe's.
I saw where they carry muratic acid there. So one could probably find it at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Fer eggzample...

mac3
12-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I bought a gallon (only size available) of muraitic acid. Good suggestion on checking the reaction against my known ingots.
If they were from batteries, wouldn't the majority of the trash been gotten rid of during the making of the ingots? I'd certainly still be careful. I do my casting in the garage with good ventilation.
Thanks again for the responses, Mac.