PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased Ranch Dog .44mag factory crimp

SGT Singer
12-16-2011, 03:28 AM
So I just ordered the Ranch Dog Factory Crimp die for .44MAG. Having read the info before I ordered, I see that it cannot be used for .44SPL. So, my question is two fold:
Does a factory crimp die exist for the .44SPL? If not, would it be best practice to just crimp with the seating die? I'm concerned about getting the best crimp without resizing the cast bullet in the process.

Finally changed jobs recently, which is going to allow me to get back to casting and loading after too long of a hiatus.

shotman
12-16-2011, 03:56 AM
I like the reg seat die crimp better . But that do sell a crimp die for the spcl

12-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I seat and roll crimp the .44 Special (.433" boolits) in two operations and have never experienced any swaging.

Tom Myers
12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll betcha you could just carefuly grind off and chamfer the bottom of the crimping chamber untill it is short enough to crimp the case mouth. You may also have to grind a little bit off the bottom of the die if the chamber can not move up enought to crimp the case mouth.

Hope this helps.

So I just ordered the Ranch Dog Factory Crimp die for .44MAG. Having read the info before I ordered, I see that it cannot be used for .44SPL. So, my question is two fold:
Does a factory crimp die exist for the .44SPL? If not, would it be best practice to just crimp with the seating die? I'm concerned about getting the best crimp without resizing the cast bullet in the process.

Finally changed jobs recently, which is going to allow me to get back to casting and loading after too long of a hiatus.

mdi
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I use a plain old roll crimp die , I believe my .44 is a Pacific. I separate the seating/crimping also. I believe the Ranch Dog "Factory Crimp Die" is the collet type die, not a "forming" type taper or roll crimp die. The post seating sizer die is the Lee FCD for pistols, with the carbide ring, which is different from the collet style rifle FCD, and Ranch Dog's...

SGT Singer
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I'll just keep it simple and go with the separate seat, then roll crimp option.

r1kk1
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
why not one of the taller shell holders from Redding and others?

take care,

r1kk1