PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die expander plug inserts

Christorbust
12-16-2011, 02:56 AM
I just recently purchase the M die, I'd like to get a couple/three more expander plug inserts for different calibers. I can't find them on the Lyman site for some reason.

Does anyone know where to get them?

I searched here and read rumors of members fabricating them, but couldn't find any specifics. I would much rather support a member for their time if it were reasonable.

Anyone want my money?

deltaenterprizes
12-16-2011, 04:07 AM
PM sent.

Hardcast416taylor
12-16-2011, 05:23 AM
I called Lyman customer service and had the gal that was on the phone order the additional "M" die expander plugs that I wanted.Robert

stubshaft
12-16-2011, 05:47 AM
I've had Buckshot make me a couple because then I can be sure that they are the right dimensions.

beagle
12-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Last ones I bought were from Lyman. Cost was $5 each but that has been a few years back./beagle

Rocky Raab
12-16-2011, 10:53 AM
They aren't listed as catalog items, but if you call Lyman they will happily sell them to you.

Christorbust
12-16-2011, 06:06 PM
PM responded.

Thanks all!

5-6$ from Lyman is pretty cheap. I will probably go that route, I doubt someone wants to make them for around that price.

milprileb
12-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Rocky

You FAC's saved my bacon many times. Thanks !

Christorbust
01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
A related question folks: Why is my M-Die doing this to my brass? Do I have it going too deep? Is it mad at me for taking it away from its family at Lyman? Even after I backed it out it was still doing this.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/Christorbust/IMG_9982.jpg

It did this to 3 out of 21 processed, I don't have enough 30-30 brass for a 14% kill rate.

I tried lubing cases, going slow, fast... I'm thinking maybe I need to sand the edge to a smoother transition on the M-die insert.

Teach me OR send me your 30-30 brass free of charge, either works for me :bigsmyl2:

stubshaft
01-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Smooth the insert and chamfer the brass.

Larry Gibson
01-07-2012, 06:43 PM
The sizing plug could be loose on the adjustment stem or the out of alignment causing the edge of the plug to hit the case mouth. If tight and in alignment tapering the end of the plug will take care of the problem.

Larry Gibson

prs
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I've had Buckshot make me a couple because then I can be sure that they are the right dimensions.

Curious, just what is the right dimension? With appropriately annealed brass, would lead boolit diameter minus .001" or .0005" yield the desired stretch fit without choking the pill?

prs

glicerin
01-07-2012, 07:21 PM
X2 stub: the insert can be rough, or plated with brass. I spin insert in a drill press, polish with 400-600 grit emery paper.

Blammer
01-07-2012, 07:32 PM
christorbust, your die is catching the edge of the brass and "bending" it.

may want to slow down when sizing or see about making it taper more so it won't catch the edge of the brass.

beagle
01-07-2012, 07:50 PM
That's what it looks like to me as well. I had a couple that I had to turn into a smaller diamter point and that was a PITA as those things are surface hardened something fierce./beagle

christorbust, your die is catching the edge of the brass and "bending" it.

may want to slow down when sizing or see about making it taper more so it won't catch the edge of the brass.

Christorbust
01-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I'll get out the fine sandpaper tomorrow and give it a spin, see if that doesn't take care of it. I'll make sure to tighten it properly also (hadn't thought to check that before). I did think it was kind of weird that it has un-tapered steps on the insert.

I was lubing the cases before sizing, and then again before the M-die to try to prevent it as my 30-30 cases are in short (now shorter) supply, and that was a nuisance. I'm glad this is not expected performance as I was hoping the M-die, my cast boolits and I could all become cheery friends. I used a screwdriver to bell cases previously, and the boolits were not fond of Mr. Philips no siree. To tell you the truth I didn't think much of him either from an efficiency standpoint either.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll report back.

Is there anything I can do to the bent brass, or should I just make a few lube kake cutters?

01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
To keep the expander plug in place, as it will back out:
1. Blue Loctite
2. Small diameter lock washer

I prefer the lock washer, as I use one M-2 die body for four different cartridges.

Buckshot
01-08-2012, 02:50 AM
..............Make sure the shellholder slot in the ram is clean so the SH will fully seat and sit square. When setting up to use the M die have the lock ring loose on the die body AND on the expander spindle. Run a case up slowly and by 'feel' feed it onto the expander. Do this until you have the die setup to do the casemouth expanding you're wanting done. Then with a case pushing up on the expander, tighten the die lockring. Next tighten the locknut on the expander spindle. Assuming your ram is in alignment and the SH slot and the SH itself is clean everything should now be in alignment.

After you've expanded a few thousand casemouths, er................ seriously tho' after awhile like any other manual operation you'll develop a routine, 'feel', or muscle memory deal where you'll KNOW just when the casemouth is to slip up on the expander. Since it isn't like sizing a case, you're not horsing down on the press handle and you can actually feel the casemouth slip up on the expander, or not. And with that bit of practice when that "Or not" happens you'll know it and won't bash and crumple the casemouth.

..................Buckshot

randyrat
01-08-2012, 03:38 AM
Curious, just what is the right dimension? With appropriately annealed brass, would lead boolit diameter minus .001" or .0005" yield the desired stretch fit without choking the pill?

prs Lets see...... my 44 likes cast bullets about .431 so expand my brass to a.428-.429. I don't have any bullets letting loose or backing out. Also my brass doesn't size the lead bullets down. If for some odd reason I would load factory made copper bullets I would change the expander plug to a .427.

My best of judgement would be .002-.003 difference for cast and 3k to 4k for jacketed.